2 rapes per ship per month on royal caribbean

Consider:

*how much alcohol is available,

*how the cruise is really centered around drinking, and

*how they allow 18 year olds to legally drink on the ship (and probably younger are drinking as well)

Based on that, it doesn't really sound like a made-up off the wall statistic to me.

Consider:

*how much alcohol is available,

*how the cruise is really centered around drinking, and

*how they allow 18 year olds to legally drink on the ship (and probably younger are drinking as well)

Based on that, it doesn't really sound like a made-up off the wall statistic to me.

Even though alcohol can be a contributor, however, those who sexually assualt or rape have deeper issues than just having one too many.

Even though alcohol can be a contributor, however, those who sexually assualt or rape have deeper issues than just having one too many.

Good point, but one cannot discount the role of alcohol in all of this. Look at the statistics of sexual assaults on college campuses and the role of alcohol in those crimes.

Fox News, remember to consider the source.

Brought to you by the same folks who gave you the reality show 'I want to marry my mother's sister while living in a house full of overweight people after my extreme make-over caused me to swap wives with an Amish family with the hopes of becoming a Hilton' :rolleyes:

Glad you're not hysterical or anything.

Cable news is in business for two reasons.

1-To entertain and make money

2-To scare the holy hell out of people i.e. non stop coverage of shark attacks and abduction of girl in Aruba.

Life is messy. You take risks in everything you do.

To everyone that's paranoid and putting trust into these statistics...please, stay away from the ships...they're so dangerous!! Your teenage children are being flirted with by (GASP!!) the crew! And you arent being watched 24/7 by cameras while on vacation? The nerve!! I mean...who would want privacy while on vacation?? And alcohol must make everyone rape each other, right? Especially 18 year olds because they're WAY different than 21 year olds when inebriated. And these statistics must be true because like hello they're on Fox News which is SO MORE than junk news...I mean they have commentators with AWESOME reputations ALL THE TIME and you should believe everything they say.

Gimme' a break. You take risks wherever you go and you'd think that grown adults would realize this. Raise your kids in a bubble and I'm sure they'll really thank you later when they go out in the real world but in the meantime, you naysayers can stay off the beautiful RCI ships and leave more room for us crazy people that seem to like putting ourself in harms way. I've been going on cruises since I was 11 and I've never left my brain at home while on vacation unlike some people that think sunshine equals saftey.The crew will check out your teenage daughters probably because they're pretty...but ya know what? Your best friends uncle probably will too...it's not just cruise ships. The media is having a heyday with this because it's something new to talk about besides the Natalie Holloway case. If someone was killed by a big boulder they'ed have a hour long special on related cases where someone was killed by a rock and how dangerous boulders are....that's just the nature of news/media this day in age...but would you walk around staring accusingly at every rock? No...so stop believing everything you see on TV and use common sense.

Thanks! Laura

FOX NEWS???? Not ANYONE INTELLIGENT'S idea of a "good news source."

They're leaps and bounds better than CNN or MSNBC. And light years beyond the network "news" stations. Speak for yourself, please. Intelligent -- or brainwashed?

They're leaps and bounds better than CNN or MSNBC. And light years beyond the network "news" stations. Speak for yourself, please. Intelligent -- or brainwashed?

The last honest newscaster in my opinion was Walter Cronkite

The rest of em - you can take and leave on a desert island

This is Geraldo Santanabanana Live aboard the Cursed Royal Caribbean ship Brilliance of the Seas - where every day is a chance you will meet with death, assault or misfortune - FILM at 11 or as soon as we can figure out a way to stage something

Oh gee, and here I thought the bartenders around the pool were flirting only with me. And I felt so flattered.

And for anyone's information - I'm 67 years old. That is part of their job, smile, flirt, get people to buy drinks. Means nothing vulgar. Most people enjoy. I've been on 21 cruises - 13 with Royal Caribbean - and have never felt NOT safe at any time.

Many of the times that "sexual assault" is charged, it was full agreement - and then they got scared and reported. A few years ago, a cruise ship (not RCI) had two crew member taken off for rape. Turned out the girls had envited them to their cabin and they were all drinking and having fun.

Next day they figured Mom & Dad were gonna kill them so they screamed rape. They finally admitted what really happened and the men were released from a jail in Calif. and all charges dropped. The cruise line did fire them for breaking their rules.

If you are taking your children on a vacation, cruise or land, you should make them aware of their surroundings. You can check with your local sheriff dept, police department, and or your local jr. college for some safety classes before you travel. I have a 25 yr old dughter, and we have been traveling since she was 9yrs. I have taken her to a few small safety classes, and made her aware of different situations, and she is pretty responsible. But things can happen to anyone. We all need to follow what our body tells us, and if the hair on the back of your heck stands up, think about what's happening around you.

Best to be safe and smart and aware of your surroundings, even if you are on a cruise!

You have the right to be worried. Anyone with children seem to worry about what might happen to them. Unfortunately, working in a busy ER in Houston we have a nurse on staff specifically for such a thing. Every night we see a sexual assualt and those are just the ones that are being reported. It is all around us and hearing about it on a news program shouldn't be the only reason we take precautions. You can never be too careful no matter where you are.

Thank you! I was scrolling down waiting for someone to say this. I worked for 4 years in the Houston area as a sexual assault nurse examiner in some busy ER's. I don't think the general public has a clue as to where and how frequent sexual assault occurs. "Rape" is just one form of sexual assault. It happens EVERYWHERE, including mall bathrooms, grocery stores, baseballs fields, etc. And I have no doubt that it happens on cruise ships. If the opportunity is there, it WILL happen. There are some trash people vacationing on cruise ships, not just lurking in dark alleys. People need to be as diligant about taking care of themselves and their children on cruises just as much or more so as at home.

Personally, I think the bars need to stop serving people who are obviously drunk (Not that it will help, they probably have a stash in their room). I think that some of these assaults, sexual or otherwise, can be linked to too much alcohol. But then that's how the cruise lines make their real money! Harsh words from me, because I love cruises. But I don't let my guard down on vacation any more than I do at home. And I always have a great time.

I wonder how much noise the ACLU would make if the cruise lines decided to put a system in place to keep past sexual offenders off of cruise ships?

Thank you! I was scrolling down waiting for someone to say this. I worked for 4 years in the Houston area as a sexual assault nurse examiner in some busy ER's. I don't think the general public has a clue as to where and how frequent sexual assault occurs. "Rape" is just one form of sexual assault. It happens EVERYWHERE, including mall bathrooms, grocery stores, baseballs fields, etc. And I have no doubt that it happens on cruise ships. If the opportunity is there, it WILL happen. There are some trash people vacationing on cruise ships, not just lurking in dark alleys. People need to be as diligant about taking care of themselves and their children on cruises just as much or more so as at home.

Personally, I think the bars need to stop serving people who are obviously drunk (Not that it will help, they probably have a stash in their room). I think that some of these assaults, sexual or otherwise, can be linked to too much alcohol. But then that's how the cruise lines make their real money! Harsh words from me, because I love cruises. But I don't let my guard down on vacation any more than I do at home. And I always have a great time.

I wonder how much noise the ACLU would make if the cruise lines decided to put a system in place to keep past sexual offenders off of cruise ships?

1. It would be interesting to see if a Dram Shop law which would hold the "permittee" liable if a patron committed an offense after getting drunk from alcohol served in a particular establishment would ever ffly on a cruise line - probably not.

2. Hell the ACLU is suing the city of NY for backpack searches after the London bombings - for sure they would be in stroke mode.

3. If Homeland Security requires passenger manifests 48 hrs before a cruise

Why shouldn't they do background checks for predators. SCREW the ACLU - if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

Honestly, please...try to consider information from multiple sources before making a blanket statement which is clearly untrue. I'd like to point you to wikipedia.com (free online encyclopedia):

Wikipedia

Fox News asserts that it is more objective and factual than other American networks. Its self-promotion includes the phrases "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report, You Decide." However, numerous critics claim that the network has a conservative bias and tailors its news to support the Republican Party. Although most critics do not claim that all Fox News reporting is slanted, most allege that bias at Fox News is systemic, and implemented to target a largely right-wing audience.

Many media commentators and competitors have alleged that Fox News' reporting is characterized by right-wing editorials disguised as news, and frequently refer to Fox News as the "Faux News Network," the "Republican News Network," "GOP TV," "Fear and Bias," or "Unfair and Unbalanced." Critics of Fox News point to the following as evidence of bias:

Ownership and management

Rupert Murdoch's ownership of several conservative outlets, including the New York Post and The Times. During the buildup to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, all 175 Murdoch-owned newspapers worldwide editorialized in favor of the war. [9]

CEO Roger Ailes' past activities, including: Republican campaign work, involvement in the Willie Horton ad, his production of the Rush Limbaugh television show, and having served as either advisor or consultant to Republican Presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Use of the term "homicide bomber" instead of "suicide bomber" after White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer made the request. The only other major news organization to do so was fellow Murdoch-owned News Corporation subsidiary the New York Post.

A ruling in a whistleblower lawsuit that WTVT had ordered fired reporters Jane Akre and Steve Wilson to distort the facts in a story about Bovine Growth Hormone. WTVT successfully appealed on First Amendment grounds. This case was against a local affiliate station, not Fox News.

That John Prescott Ellis, a full cousin of George W. Bush, was one of four consultants assigned by the Voter News Service to Fox News on night of the 2000 Presidential election; thus he was part of the team that recommended Fox News be the last to retract its call of Florida for Gore and the first to call Florida for Bush, which Fox News did at 2:16 a.m [10]. Though all major networks called Florida for Bush by 2:20 a.m., Ellis has since admitted to informing both Jeb and George Bush several times by telephone of how projections were going on election night. [11]

Photocopied memos from Fox News executive John Moody instructing the network's on-air anchors and reporters on using positive language when discussing anti-abortion viewpoints, the Iraq war, and tax cuts; as well as requesting that the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal be put in context with the other violence in the area.

Reports, polls and studies

A report released in August 2001 by Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, titled "Fox: The Most Biased Name in News," ([12]) which:

Claims that, despite his claims to the contrary, The O'Reilly Factor host Bill O'Reilly is conservative; and

Compared guests on Fox's Special Report with Brit Hume with those on CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports:

white / male / Republican / conservative

Hume (Fox) 93% / 91% / 89% / 71%

Blitzer (CNN) 93% / 86% / 57% / 32%

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes, in the Winter 2003-2004 issue of Political Science Quarterly, reported that viewers of the Fox Network local affiliates or Fox News were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three views which the authors labeled as misperceptions:[13] (PDF)

67% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization." In the aggregate, 52% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda)

33% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found Iraqi weapons of mass destruction" "since the war ended." In the aggregate, 23% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Iraq disarmament crisis)

35% of Fox viewers believed that "the majority of people [in the world] favour the U.S. having gone to war" with Iraq. In the aggregate, 23% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Governments' pre-war positions on invasion of Iraq)

Fox viewers were more likely to hold these views even after adjusting for other factors, such as political party membership, and intention to vote for a particular presidental candidate. Fox viewers were unique in that those who paid greater attention to news were moderately more likely to have these misperceptions than those who paid less or no attention to news.

A study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism in 2005 found that, in covering the Iraq War in 2004, 73% of Fox News stories included editorial opinions, compared to 29% on MSNBC and 2% on CNN. The same report found Fox less likely than CNN to present multiple points of view. On the other hand, it found Fox more transparent about its sources[14].

1. It would be interesting to see if a Dram Shop law which would hold the "permittee" liable if a patron committed an offense after getting drunk from alcohol served in a particular establishment would ever ffly on a cruise line - probably not.

2. Hell the ACLU is suing the city of NY for backpack searches after the London bombings - for sure they would be in stroke mode.

3. If Homeland Security requires passenger manifests 48 hrs before a cruise

Why shouldn't they do background checks for predators. SCREW the ACLU - if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

Very well said!!!

I wouldn't stop cruising RC because of this story. I strongly suspect that the sexual assault /rape rates are similar on all cruise ships -- and probably in all resort areas where people tend to let down their guard while the alcohol flows freely.

However, I think you're absolutely right to think about your teen-aged daughter in conjunction with this topic. I suspect that most of these assaults /rapes occur amongst the teenaged population, and they're probably date-rape type things. That type of things happens so easily: the girl thinks she's just flirting, the boy thinks it's more, and "everyone knows" that no really means yes . . .

I suspect that women who don't walk alone on deck or in empty halls at late hours and who don't put themselves into dangerous situations with people whom they barely know . . . are not in real danger of sexual assault.

SEXUAL ASSAULTS are RAPE its just a legal and more politically correct way of saying Rape....
Nope. Not from a legal point of view. If a man and woman are alone in an elevator, and he suddenly rips open her shirt and touches her breasts, she has been sexually assaulted. She has not been raped -- not even close.

The media often uses the phrase "sexual assault" when they don't know exactly what happened (this often happens when the victim is a minor, or when the police are not releasing details), or if it wasn't quite actual rape. One reason that they use it is that it implies rape, and it makes it sound more sensational.

Fox viewers were unique in that those who paid greater attention to news were moderately more likely to have these misperceptions than those who paid less or no attention to news.

Honestly, please... This article is an editorial.

Sorry to be off topic to the OP, I couldn't resist. Happy cruising!

Honestly, please...try to consider information from multiple sources before making a blanket statement which is clearly untrue. I'd like to point you to wikipedia.com (free online encyclopedia):

Wikipedia

Fox News asserts that it is more objective and factual than other American networks. Its self-promotion includes the phrases "Fair and Balanced" and "We Report, You Decide." However, numerous critics claim that the network has a conservative bias and tailors its news to support the Republican Party. Although most critics do not claim that all Fox News reporting is slanted, most allege that bias at Fox News is systemic, and implemented to target a largely right-wing audience.

Many media commentators and competitors have alleged that Fox News' reporting is characterized by right-wing editorials disguised as news, and frequently refer to Fox News as the "Faux News Network," the "Republican News Network," "GOP TV," "Fear and Bias," or "Unfair and Unbalanced." Critics of Fox News point to the following as evidence of bias:

Ownership and management

Rupert Murdoch's ownership of several conservative outlets, including the New York Post and The Times. During the buildup to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, all 175 Murdoch-owned newspapers worldwide editorialized in favor of the war. [9]

CEO Roger Ailes' past activities, including: Republican campaign work, involvement in the Willie Horton ad, his production of the Rush Limbaugh television show, and having served as either advisor or consultant to Republican Presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

Use of the term "homicide bomber" instead of "suicide bomber" after White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer made the request. The only other major news organization to do so was fellow Murdoch-owned News Corporation subsidiary the New York Post.

A ruling in a whistleblower lawsuit that WTVT had ordered fired reporters Jane Akre and Steve Wilson to distort the facts in a story about Bovine Growth Hormone. WTVT successfully appealed on First Amendment grounds. This case was against a local affiliate station, not Fox News.

That John Prescott Ellis, a full cousin of George W. Bush, was one of four consultants assigned by the Voter News Service to Fox News on night of the 2000 Presidential election; thus he was part of the team that recommended Fox News be the last to retract its call of Florida for Gore and the first to call Florida for Bush, which Fox News did at 2:16 a.m [10]. Though all major networks called Florida for Bush by 2:20 a.m., Ellis has since admitted to informing both Jeb and George Bush several times by telephone of how projections were going on election night. [11]

Photocopied memos from Fox News executive John Moody instructing the network's on-air anchors and reporters on using positive language when discussing anti-abortion viewpoints, the Iraq war, and tax cuts; as well as requesting that the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal be put in context with the other violence in the area.

A report released in August 2001 by Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, titled "Fox: The Most Biased Name in News," ([12]) which:

Claims that, despite his claims to the contrary, The O'Reilly Factor host Bill O'Reilly is conservative; and

Compared guests on Fox's Special Report with Brit Hume with those on CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports:

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes, in the Winter 2003-2004 issue of Political Science Quarterly, reported that viewers of the Fox Network local affiliates or Fox News were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three views which the authors labeled as misperceptions:[13] (PDF)

67% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization." In the aggregate, 52% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda)

33% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found Iraqi weapons of mass destruction" "since the war ended." In the aggregate, 23% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Iraq disarmament crisis)

35% of Fox viewers believed that "the majority of people [in the world] favour the U.S. having gone to war" with Iraq. In the aggregate, 23% of all respondants who got their news primarily from a single news network held this belief. (See Governments' pre-war positions on invasion of Iraq)

Fox viewers were more likely to hold these views even after adjusting for other factors, such as political party membership, and intention to vote for a particular presidental candidate. Fox viewers were unique in that those who paid greater attention to news were moderately more likely to have these misperceptions than those who paid less or no attention to news.

A study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism in 2005 found that, in covering the Iraq War in 2004, 73% of Fox News stories included editorial opinions, compared to 29% on MSNBC and 2% on CNN. The same report found Fox less likely than CNN to present multiple points of view. On the other hand, it found Fox more transparent about its sources[14].

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Wikipedia

Ownership and management

Can we please drop the freaking politics. Jeez..... you are not going to prove diddly squat to anyone. Fox is biased towards sensationalism. Fox is better than the others. That said they all stink. Anyone learning about the news by watching TV, reading the NY times or the Washington Post or the NY Post or the Washington times is fooling themselves if they think that all sources of news and all reporters do not have biases.

However, the fact that the news services are harming our nation is indisputable, and I really don't care which one you choose.

jc

xpcdoojk said:

Can we please drop the freaking politics. Jeez..... you are not going to prove diddly squat to anyone. Fox is biased towards sensationalism. Fox is better than the others. That said they all stink. Anyone learning about the news by watching TV, reading the NY times or the Washington Post or the NY Post or the Washington times is fooling themselves if they think that all sources of news and all reporters do not have biases.

However, the fact that the news services are harming our nation is indisputable, and I really don't care which one you choose.

Bingo! Exactly! Right (left) On!

I bet the original poster also believed Sadam had Weapons of Mass Destruction too! American News agencies love to scare the American Public because it sells and makes people stay home and watch tv instead of going out and interacting with other people.

Archived