mitsugirly

NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

I just got home from work and heard about this. Did anyone else hear what happened?

The only thing I can find about it is HERE. I know this site makes their money off of things like this, but I haven't found anything else to confirm it.

So sad and my heart goes out to the crew members family and the NCL family. :(

The "Events at Sea" site also posted that article. It is probably true. Like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings.

We heard no particulars, was the crew member in a "bad area"? In a public area? Mahogany Bay? Coxen Hole? Outskirts of town?

Both Cruise Junkie and Cruise Law News usually get the fact that something happened right, it's just the details that tend to get massaged that you need to treat with a grain of salt.

If the news is true~~God bless the crew member and his family! You really have to know your surroundings! I did a very stupid thing in San Juan back in "2008" and will never repeat that one again (first cruise!

This is so sad. Prayers for his family, friends and fellow crewmembers........

Comment from the Article

"friend - April 7, 2014 2:50 AM

I am so sad. Jacob is friend and he just worked as a cook for a few months onboard Norwegian Pearl. The gunman shot him twice just because Jaycob refused to give up his handphone. Jacob is only 27 and still has a baby few months old back home in Philippines. May he RIP."

Edited by peg013

Didn't realize those animals could afford bullets down there.

Jacob can remind everyone of an important lesson: never argue with a gunman. Your phone simply isn't worth it. Sounds so cliche, but apparently, it needs to be said.

Sorry to hear this terrible news.

It is very close to port where crew go a lot for food and free wifi to call or skype home. I myself been there as well

Jacob can remind everyone of an important lesson: never argue with a gunman. Your phone simply isn't worth it. Sounds so cliche, but apparently, it needs to be said.

Sorry to hear this terrible news.

He didn't have chance to give up phone. He was shot by man on bike who shot him twice and grabbed his phone and ran.

Edited by sjnyc323

NCL should consider deleting this port from their schedules. This is not the first problem for crew or passengers in Roatan. A family on a Carnival ship were robbed in January.

The cruise lines discontinued ports in Mexico and the government has stepped up security to bring them back.

I was in Roatan on business last year; did not encounter any problems. I thought it was a very nice place.

Very very sad.

Prayers for his family.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

NCL should consider deleting this port from their schedules. This is not the first problem for crew or passengers in Roatan. A family on a Carnival ship were robbed in January.

The cruise lines discontinued ports in Mexico and the government has stepped up security to bring them back.

Roatan is one of our favorite ports. Crimes like this can happen any where.

Norwegian is actually moving many port visit to Banana Coast which is in the main part of Honduras... not really sure that is going to be any safer. I just recently returned from the Jewel where our best port of all was Roatan and I took a private excursions and felt totally safe. Of course when ever I travel I always keep my guard up. I do not feel that Roatan is any less safe than say....St Thomas where there have been many assaults on crew and cruise passenger and some being killed. Or as far as that goes how safe is the city of Miami :rolleyes: Sadly things happen no matter where you are. My prayers go out the the NCL Crew Members family sadly he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Crew may need to go in groups in many ports not just Roatan.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

I was in Roatan on business last year; did not encounter any problems. I thought it was a very nice place.

My momma taught me that "Looks can be deceiving".

It is definitely true. Unfortunately, several websites are showing graphic images of his body. Not sure why they feel that is necessary, but it does offer proof that it happened. Horrible for the ship, crew and family of this young man. Just awful...

My momma taught me that "Looks can be deceiving".

Well said. Any place you go that has such poverty, you know folks are going to do what it takes to get by.

A NCL crew member has posted "I have received words from our CEO Kevin Sheehan that NCL is cancelling our 3 ships Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Dawn, and Norwegian Jewel port of call to Roatan. Good call, Mr Sheehan! We urge other cruise ship operators such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean to do the same to avoid tragedies like this to happen again."

This is truly sad. Roatan is my favorite port and such a beautiful place. Crime can and does happen anywhere. I hate the thought of missing Roatan. :( I wonder if this is just a temporary thing (since they didn't mention the Sun, which I will be on in November). :confused:

To take a human life for a cell phone is one of the most barbaric things possible. I truly hope the SAVAGE ANIMAL responsible suffers a terrible, painful death.

I read on facebook that a crew member has reported that Kevin Sheehan has pulled his ships from Roatan.

I only hope this is accurate because it is the right thing to do.

Not sure if it is poor wording, but the above statement doesn't sit right with me.

It sounds like the poster was categorizing all Hondurans as animals. I don't think that is what the poster meant, but it certainly reads that way.

Not sure if it is poor wording, but the above statement doesn't sit right with me.

It sounds like the poster was categorizing all Hondurans as animals. I don't think that is what the poster meant, but it certainly reads that way.

I must agree with you. That post was upsetting and turned me off in a big way.

Edited by halos

If these people want to experience genuine poverty all they need to do is murder a few more cruise ship passengers and they will get their wish in very short order.

My guess is that they stay away from the white tourists and likely preyed on this poor guy because he looked more like an affluent local.

Somewhere a crime boss is going to be very unhappy with this situation.

Although I had a nice visit, it is sad someone lost their life. I will pray for his family and for his fellow crew members.

Edited by AF-1

I read on facebook that a crew member has reported that Kevin Sheehan has pulled his ships from Roatan.

I only hope this is accurate because it is the right thing to do.

I haven't seen any official announcement from NCL. Since I'm leaving on Sunday and I had booked an excursion, it would be great to see something official by NCL. I agree it is the right thing to do as well.

I must agree with you. That post was upsetting and turned me off in a big way.

I was referring to any animal who shoots, kills and robs a man, but way to make it about you. So sorry you were offended.

Edited by triptolemus

I haven't seen any official announcement from NCL. Since I'm leaving on Sunday and I had booked an excursion, it would be great to see something official by NCL. I agree it is the right thing to do as well.

I'm still wondering when there is going to be an "official" announcement (or even a mention of this) by NCL. The only thing I have read about it "says" that a NCL crew member talked to Kevin and stated they were pulling out the ships. However, it makes me wonder if it's actually just a temporary thing because this poster only mentioned 3 NCL ships. We are on the Sun in November (which goes to Roatan) and there was no mention of the Sun being pulled out.

I really wish NCL would make some type of announcement to put all of our minds at ease. :(

Since you're leaving on Sunday, you may not see anything official until you actually board. Plus, like I said, this is something I saw posted elsewhere and I am hoping it to be true.

Anything official may take a while.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

Edited by halos

I was referring to any animal who shoots, kills and robs a man, but way to make it about you. So sorry you were offended.

I knew exactly what you meant... IMO no reason for you to apologize to anyone. The POS that pulled the trigger is an animal, plain and simple.

Edited by bbryan5

Since you're leaving on Sunday, you may not see anything official until you actually board. Plus, like I said, this is something I saw posted elsewhere and I am hoping it to be true.

Anything official may take a while.

I hope you have a great cruise :)

Thanks, Halos. Mitsugirly, I followed your thread on the Jewel and thank you for the review and all the pictures. I have a reservation with Victor Bodden, so I hope to be able to tour in Roatan, but safety of passengers comes first.

Um how is someone going to shoot someone else without bullets? Not buying the explanation.

So sad, the crew on these boats work very hard and I assume they send home all their money for the family to have a better life. I was at this port 2 years ago and we were warned not to leave the port area.

Thanks, Halos. Mitsugirly, I followed your thread on the Jewel and thank you for the review and all the pictures. I have a reservation with Victor Bodden, so I hope to be able to tour in Roatan, but safety of passengers comes first.

Our trip with Victor Bodden was great. Having a private driver all day I'm sure took some of the risk out of things. I never felt in danger, although it was certainly very destitute right outside the secure port area where there are local shops.

Someone who is on the Dawn now posted that they were getting a sea day in place of Roatan. Sounds like Sheehan is serious about taking action.

More and more cruiselines are creating private cruise centers hoping to keep passangers safely in and locals out. I know Royal has Labadee in Haiti and Carnival has a few including Grand Turk. Does NCL have any cruise centers in the works ?

parents are leaving sunday on the Dawn

More and more cruiselines are creating private cruise centers hoping to keep passangers safely in and locals out. I know Royal has Labadee in Haiti and Carnival has a few including Grand Turk. Does NCL have any cruise centers in the works ?

yes on the other side of Belize still under construction

Edited by vols_159

Wow. So sad. We were just there two weeks ago and are glad we had a driver (even though we were overcharged) I guess.

We are sailing on the Pearl this coming Friday and had a tour booked with Victor Bodden for Sunday. Our tour group has just received an email from the Bodden Tour Company confirming that the ship will not be calling at Roatan on Sunday.