NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

This was posted on the NCL thread today. It is in response to a cook from the NCL Pearl who was shot and killed at Roatan

A NCL crew member has posted "I have received words from our CEO Kevin Sheehan that NCL is cancelling our 3 ships Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Dawn, and Norwegian Jewel port of call to Roatan. Good call, Mr Sheehan! We urge other cruise ship operators such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean to do the same to avoid tragedies like this to happen again."

This is a horrible tragedy. The NCL update here. Oops not direct from NCL.. Sorry for the mistake.

Wonder if this will suggest to the powers that be on the island changes need to be made.

Edited by Guest 2000

We are on the Pearl Western Caribbean sailing from Miami this Friday April 11.

A group of us had a tour booked with Victor Bodden at Roatan this coming Sunday. We have just received an email from the Bodden Tour Co confirming that our tour has been cancelled because the Pearl will not be calling at this port on Sunday.

We are on the Pearl Western Caribbean sailing from Miami this Friday April 11.

A group of us had a tour booked with Victor Bodden at Roatan this coming Sunday. We have just received an email from the Bodden Tour Co confirming that our tour has been cancelled because the Pearl will not be calling at this port on Sunday.

I am so sorry to hear this.

I wonder how long NCL plans to cancel Roatan.

I found an account from the Bay island Voice posted on Trip Advisor.

Edited by Guest 2000

Our Condolences to all people involved

What parts of Roatan are not safe. Is there any particular places to avoid or transportation means to avoid. I don't know the details of this case but I live near New Orleans which is not really safe either. No where safe anymore. But I am asking if taxis are safe? We are going next week unless Carnival decides to ride right by Roatan like they did last time we went to see this island, two years ago. That day they said it was windy but it definitely was not windy. No wind at all. very frustrating.

Our Condolences to all people involved

What parts of Roatan are not safe. Is there any particular places to avoid or transportation means to avoid. I don't know the details of this case but I live near New Orleans which is not really safe either. No where safe anymore. But I am asking if taxis are safe? We are going next week unless Carnival decides to ride right by Roatan like they did last time we went to see this island, two years ago. That day they said it was windy but it definitely was not windy. No wind at all. very frustrating.

Sadly safety can not be guaranteed.

Two days ago I would have had confidence most places on the island were safe during the day. That could still be true if one does not have anything obvious of value.

This incident took place very close to the cruise ship dock in Coxen Hole in the day light hours. From what I understand the victim was standing outside a shop talking using his tablet as a phone. For some reason electronics are a high value item on the island.

I know expats have made a list of taxi that are not safe. My guess would be any of the tour operators are safe.

I have been roaming the island for up to three months almost annual for the past 14 years. I have never felt unsafe. I dress way down and do not flash anything of value.

There are and have been for a long time. There is a long thread about this over on NCL forum if you want to check it out. I guess NCL is temporarily suspending that port of call and encouraging other lines to do the same until Honduras beefs up security.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

It gets me when stories like this come out and everyone jumps up in arms because it happened in a tourist area...

We see this same thing happen on the 5 o'clock news every week, in major cities (and even in smaller cities). The guy was being robbed for his cellphone and he refused to relinquish it, so the robber shot him.

It is so sad to see a young person die and he apparently was a father to a small child. Now, that small child has to grow up without a father anywhere present in their life.

Am I saying that it is right, heck no! But, remember, no area is completely without crime. All it would have taken, was just to hand over the cellphone and he probably would never have been shot. Remember people, think with your head. The electronic devices you carry are not worth your life..

This just makes me sick. How horrible for his family and friends. Over a stupid cellphone too.

We were in Roatan last week and absolutely loved it! We never felt unsafe, but I guess this just shows you that you aren't safe anywhere.

We did a private tour and our tour guide was telling us how hard the people of Roatan are trying to distance themselves from the crime in mainland Honduras. This must be very distressing for the hardworking people of Roatan as well.

It gets me when stories like this come out and everyone jumps up in arms because it happened in a tourist area...

We see this same thing happen on the 5 o'clock news every week, in major cities (and even in smaller cities). The guy was being robbed for his cellphone and he refused to relinquish it, so the robber shot him.

It is so sad to see a young person die and he apparently was a father to a small child. Now, that small child has to grow up without a father anywhere present in their life.

Am I saying that it is right, heck no! But, remember, no area is completely without crime. All it would have taken, was just to hand over the cellphone and he probably would never have been shot. Remember people, think with your head. The electronic devices you carry are not worth your life..

Those 6 O'clock stories always take on a different twist when it's a tourist. And it's rare, thank God.

We hired a taxi for the day there and the driver was telling us there is no government hand outs like the US. Everyone has to hustle to feed their families. Driving around the city you can see how tough things are. The schools were surrounded by walls and wire. So not everywhere is safe to just walk around. Some of the countries don't like tourists. You have to admit that some of these tourists aren't the politest.

Makes a good point. Is the crime rate directly related to the island of Roatan, or is it a conglomerate rate of the whole country of Honduras?

I, for one, do not know the answer. The low life who killed the crew member over a phone needs to be caught and punished...severely.

We have been going to Roatan since the port was originally opened by NCL. Never had a problem. But that does not mean that the conditions have not changed. We are scheduled for two more visits this year...Will give it some thought, then make a rational decision.

You have to remember that you are in a very different social situation in these countries/islands. I travel to mainland Honduras for business and the crime rate is high. It is not uncommon to see people walk around with missing arms and hands from fights they have. Alot of the rural people carry around machetes and when they drink the local drink can get into some real good arguments and then they draw machetes. The textile industry was good for this country, but it is still extremely poor with people struggling to feed their families.

We sailed with Carnival to the western Caribbean in Feb. My s-i-l is a policeman and he was quite disturbed that we were going to Mexico. I had excursions booked for every stop. I decided to take a look at the Alerts and Warnings put up on the U.S. govt. site for the Bureau of Consular Affairs. Honduras was on the list of places to receive a travel warning as the crime and violence are very high there. I am not an overly cautious person, but my elderly parents were going with us so I canmcelled our excursion in Roatan. DH and I did end up hiring a taxi with another couple and touring around. We all stayed together and kept our eyes open.

FYI--the places that Carnival stops in Mexico are not on the alert and warning list.

Violence can happen anywhere. It doesn't hurt to be careful.

Makes a good point.

I, for one, do not know the answer. The low life who killed the crew member over a phone needs to be caught and punished...severely.

We have been going to Roatan since the port was originally opened by NCL. Never had a problem. But that does not mean that the conditions have not changed. We are scheduled for two more visits this year...Will give it some thought, then make a rational decision.

I'd venture that it's an average. Roatan appeared to be sleepy little island albeit with lots of pickpockets (we were warned about gangs of kids who would swarm tourists) but as you state, things can change quickly in an unstable area.

It's horrible that the crew member was killed, wonder if he was by himself i.e. easier target? This happens in the US all the time. Local news reporting how young man from the area who moved to Indianapolis was out for his morning run, with his rosary in hand, was killed...apparently part of a gang initiation as his blood-stained shirt was taken.

Edited by keishashadow

It's terrible what has happened. Roatan is my favorite port, but this should be a reminder to all ... never let your guard down, be aware of where you venture in ports and certainly any material item is not worth a life.

Heres a little stat for everyone 50 murders in Honduras "SINCE" 2008 against US citizens. 73 murders in Philadelphia "IN" 2008. Crime happens in every city in every country

Mainland Honduras and Roatan are not the same although the same country

Very sad.. prayers to both his crew, passenagers and home family.

People have to realize their crime every where. Never let your guide down

If someone tries to rob you.... give them what they want --- material things can always be replace... life can not

Cathy

None of us were witnesses to this murder, but I get the feeling that some people are blaming the victim here.

How do we know that he was killed because he did not cooperate with the assailant?

If someone will kill you for a cell phone, they will kill you for anything, or for NOTHING.