Carnival DREAM AirConditioning?

ciship

I keep reading review after review about how the air conditioning on Carnival Dream doesnt work in the cabins very well. I'm booked on the Dream next summer and air conditioning is a BIG deal breaker for me.

Anyone know the real scoop? What's going on?

I was burning up on the Legend the entire time the other week. They even came out and took the temperature in my room and said 73 was normal but I felt hotter than that

73 is not normal! Right? 68 is more like it....especially in the summer months.

We just got back from the Dream last week and I found it kind of chilly in the room and most interior areas (dining etc) so I think it was working just fine! Have a great cruise the Dream is amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had an interior cabin on the Dream and I thought the temperature of our room was just fine. Each room has an individual thermostat that you are able to adjust yourself.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

The answer from the crew was not entirely correct. Generally, the temperature will be lower than 73, but there is a range for most lines where they will not consider compensation, and that is generally 70-74. If it is hotter or colder than that, and cannot be fixed, then they will consider compensation, but within that range, no remedy.

For the past couple of years, Carnival has been keeping cabins warmer. Even though you have a thermostat in the cabin, it is always turned as low as it will go and it can still be warm. If you think that 73 to 78 is acceptable, then you should be okay. If you like it cooler than that, then you will probably be too warm.

A/C is provided to all the cabins in a fire zone (the area between those annoying passageway doors) for several decks, from a large air handler, where the temperature is set by the refrigeration engineer, and is not varied for anyone. The individual room thermostats work in one or two ways. First, and I believe this is the case for most Carnival ships, the thermostat controls a damper that controls the amount of the A/C air that is supplied to the cabin. So with the thermostat down as far as it goes, you are getting the maximum amount of air at the temperature controlled by the main air handler.

The second way, is that somewhere in the cabin (frequently under the vanity), there is a small A/C unit that recirculates the cabin air. The thermostat controls whether or not this small A/C unit cools the cabin below the air temperature supplied from the air handler.

I have found that if you are on a deck directly above public areas, ie:a cabin on deck 6, as opposed to one above other cabins. The cabin is warmer. Our last 2 cruises both on the Freedom on deck6 cabin was very warm, this time on deck 7 had to pull the comforter on a few times.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

We almost roasted in an oceanview on the M/S Holiday about 10 years ago. I had a roll of duct tape that is exactly what we built out of it - a duct! To get the colder air from the ceiling to the lower part of the room!

Seems the cabin temps have been fine since that Holiday cruise. On the Breeze last year it did a fine job - and I'm one who prefers things on the cooler side.

I keep reading review after review about how the air conditioning on Carnival Dream doesnt work in the cabins very well. I'm booked on the Dream next summer and air conditioning is a BIG deal breaker for me.

When we first started cruising with Carnival the cabin temps were great, sometimes even chilly, but over the past several years the temps seem to have risen to an uncomfortable level. We complained several different cruises and were told 76° is company standards, and keeping the drapes closed would help. I don't pay for a balcony to keep my curtains closed. Like you, hot rooms are a deal breaker, so after several hot cruises we no longer cruise Carnival. For the amount of money it cost to take a vacation we expect to be comfortable in our cabin.

I think its a carnival thing to save money. My cruise in jan the rooms were warmer than prior cruises. The high and low temps are controlled. So if they set it at 76, no matter where your dial goes, the lowest it will go is 76.

I have found that if you are on a deck directly above public areas, ie:a cabin on deck 6, as opposed to one above other cabins. The cabin is warmer. Our last 2 cruises both on the Freedom on deck6 cabin was very warm, this time on deck 7 had to pull the comforter on a few times.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

I was on deck 4 and was hot as hell

The Elation last May was very warm, even at night. We chalked it up to the fact that we had a balcony, though we tightly closed the curtains and never left the door open, plus the fact that it was May and warmer in the Caribbean than we're used to.

If the Dream in December is that warm, in expensive spa cabins, we're going to have serious issues. We like it COLD. Anything over 68 is much too hot for us to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by TruckinMama