Disney Magic Review 4/11 to 4/14 Sailing

e2011

Today we arrived home from our 3 night on the Magic out of PC. First time on the Magic so not sure what it looked like before the remodel but it was very nice. We were in a one bedroom Concierge Suite #8548.

The Ship: Very nice decor. First thing we noticed is how small the main atrium is compared to Dream and Fantasy but still very nice. I guess this is new but like I said we never sailed this ship before the remodel. It is a much smaller ship than the Dream/Fantasy class and you can tell. Magic is 84,000 tons and Dream/Fantasy is 129,690 tons. However the floor plan was very good and flowed well. New water slide, "Aqua Dunk" is very short but fun. The other slide is longer but a bit slow. Splash area is nice for little kids.

The Food: I was pleasantly surprised. The rotational dining food was very good. Better than we had on Dream or Fantasy. It was served hot and quickly and was flavorful. The lobster is good but sparse on the plate. I ordered a second skewer of lobster only on the second night of dining in Carioca's. The filet I had on the 3rd night in Lumiere's was very good. Not NCL USDA Prime quality but definitely "Longhorn Steakhouse" quality which is a compliment.

Buffet food was good. Seemed better than other two ships. Poolside snacks were very good. More flavors offered at Eye Scream than on other ships.

Staff: The staff was friendly and very attentive. Concierge staff was never seen except for concierge cocktail reception.

Room: The one bedroom was spacious with two bathrooms but a bit of a let down from the one bedroom on the Dream/Fantasy class. The room was beautiful but the floor plan was dated as was the master bathroom. In all fairness, I have never seen a master bath on a cruise ship as nice as the ones in the one bedroom suites on the Fantasy/Dream ships. Also the concierge suites on the Magic are all on Deck 8 and guess what is on deck 9? The pool areas! So you get to listen to deck chairs moving around and kids running until late at night. Then at 5am each morning you get to hear the crew washing down the pool decks. Luckily this was only a 3 day cruise! For this reason alone I would never book a concierge suite on this ship. I would go for a Deluxe ocean view stateroom with Verandah (Cat. 4) on deck 6. Also there is no concierge lounge. I knew this before and wanted to see if there was someway they made up for that loss. There wasn't. I didn't realize how much we used the concierge lounge on the other ships until we didn't have one! Also both toilets in our room would randomly stop flushing. Sometimes you would hit the button and it would flush 5 minutes later. Maintaince could not figure it out after two service calls.

The Entertainment: Very good classic Disney shows.

Misc.: We had our usual Cabana 12 on Castaway Cay. Love it. The new Cabanas are still not finished and one of them is going to be a double for large families. Its been a year of working on them so I was very surprised they were not finished yet. This was the only time we saw our concierge other than when we boarded the ship. There were just the standard characters on this cruise. No Frozen characters. Also note there were lifeguards at the kids pools only.

Edited by e2011

Appreciate the review.

My comments;

That's a bit disappointing regarding the concierge.

Yeah, once you have a lounge .... it's tough. lol.

The cat 4's ( the large family cabins with verandas) are also on deck 8 unfortunately and vulnerable to pool deck noise too. I believe you meant cat 5's on lower decks than 8 to avoid the noise.

Having the food out faster and warmer makes sense as less pax.

Could you tell if the tile/tub in the bath was new?

Was any of it cracked, broken, grout discolored?

Imagine that atrium with two staircases. lol. Pre-drydock.

Tiny compared to the new builds.

We love the Fantasy.

Thanks

Concierge on the "classic" ships is no where near as good as concierge on the new ships. Sorry...simple fact. However, the 2 bedroom suite is better space/number of guests on the classics.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider concierge on the classics for a short cruise. I do believe that all the cat 4s are also on deck 8 though.

I probably had the category wrong. I would do what ever category family verandah room is on deck 7 if I did that ship again. The tile in our bathroom must have been new. I did not notice any cracks or aging.

.... I did not notice any cracks or aging.

That's great to hear. Many were expecting the bathrooms to be gutted and redone during the drydock, but that wasn't the case. There were reports of worn, old, broken, patched, stained tiles in the baths. Good to hear your cabin looked great.

Thanks

:) Thanks for the review.. One question. Did the ship have a lot of movement.(side to side or up and down) We have friends who get a little sea sick if the ship has movement. Thanks Gary:eek:

Gary,

Ship movement is a function of the sea conditions at the time. On our particular cruise the sea was calm so there was almost no noticeable movements. It is almost impossible to predict sea conditions for any given cruise that is booked months in advance. I would tell your friends to get the wrist bands or patch just to be safe.