Goodbye Camp Carnival...Hello Camp Ocean

It sounds doubtful that it will be on the Breeze in time for our cruise at the end of June, but my 6 year old is a huge Camp Carnival fan and gave the changes two thumbs up and a big, "Yay!"

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

The timing of this is awkward, on a day where John Heald asks if Carnival should have a kid free ship.

Actually, I think that is why he asked. There were several post such as "we don't want to sail with kids". So, he asked about a kid free ship.

Great...a bunch of 60 year old educators who think they know what children like.

My mom taught just a little over 20 years..one before marriage and 19 after her last kid started college or was it high school??? Hmmm...anyway into her 60's. There was never a more well loved grandma or teacher that kids and parents and grandchildren and inlaws loved and wanted to hang with. She also commuted on incredible roads at 6000 feet to do it in a ranch and ski town...and always said she would rather teach than work cows...LOL..it saved her on her hubby's second career...she passed 8/12 far too young at 76 an active grandchild game goer..all the way through college football for 2 and quilter/scrapbook memorializer and LOVER of children and I can't tell you how many young adults contacted us as ex-students all the way to mid age..parents of ex students...she was part of a special educational organization her whole retirement and I was blessed to be the attendee of that organizations memorial...you have no idea how wonderful many "older" people are with children...our culture is destroyed with disrespect of elders and thinking they are all over the hill and offer us little..especially in learning things..her mother lived until 97 and actively until 95..now when many of us are living much longer than dear mom...your comment should be rethought..sorry...really hit home this Easter Sunday...have a good one.

Edited by sjn911

Meh. I've long aged out of Camp Carnival/Camp Ocean, so this doesn't affect me one bit, other than making it harder to find cruises without too many kids onboard. I've joked many a time that Carnival is trying to turn itself into the poor man's Disney Cruise Line. The Badge Challenge smacks of Boy Scouts' merit badges or Disney World's pin trading with the workers (oops, I meant cast members). On top of that, they hired middle-aged people, who might be out of touch with what today's kids like, to organize Camp Ocean activities. As long as I'll be able to find cruises with 200, rather than 2000 kids, it's all good.

Having said that, I'm curious what will become of Circle C and Club O2. Will they get revamped too? When and how?

Middle aged people..people who taught their children to parent..or ones that kept up to date in teaching and holding interest with what they have to know now....would be great..if they want the job...they will be good at it..and those few who are not will be let go...I am sure...Sarah

Why shouldn't a good budget line be great and always improving for kids...we all have different dollar rules for our vacations...higher in discretionary funds or not...

Edited by sjn911

This wouldn't come up. Looks like a dry dock schedule. Would that tell you when the Inspiration would get Camp Ocean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can tell you now that the Inspiration isn't scheduled for anything right now, got drydocked last year.

Coming from someone who is young and in education I can tell you that my current class and the classes before them have adored learning about the sea and doing activities based around it. (Under the sea is our summer topic at school and I teach 6 year olds)

If you spin any concept right you can get kids hooked...some people will always have the knack to make a concept exciting no matter what age.

I can remember having to teach young ones about Elizabethan England and thinking it was going to be a long boring haul.After brainstorming it we built our own castle out of clay, did costume design and a war battle rap. Kids loved it and mentioned it in their leaving assembly.

If I'm still sailing Carnival I will have to see if I can pinch a few ideas. I would prefer my children to go to this instead of the original concept. :D

On the Disney Cruise line thing I really do not get it. If we want Disney we can get more Disney experiences from Disneyworld/Disneyland then take a normal cruise. Disney seems so expensive for what it offers.

Edited by Velvetwater

• 1 month later...

I think it's exciting and am glad to see that Carnival is making the activities and theme more cohesive. I don't have a problem with a "badge" system - it keeps the kids engaged and gives them a goal to work toward. And having them try new things to earn a badge is even better! I have an 8 year old, and we are traveling with a family of 1st time cruisers with a 7 year old - the kids are beyond excited about all the new activities. And my 15 year old said he might have been more interested in going to Camp Carnival on our 1st cruises if they had this back then.

I'm eager to hear input from anyone who did the Freedom last week during the roll out of Camp Ocean and had kids in the program (there are a couple of Freedom reviews, but none had kids) - what did they think of it?

• 10 months later...

It doesn't look like the Vista has a dedicated Club O2 room???? Just got off an NCL cruise where the teens had no where to go, so they populated the adults areas; not relaxing. Anyone know about dedicated areas for the teens?

It doesn't look like the Vista has a dedicated Club O2 room???? Just got off an NCL cruise where the teens had no where to go, so they populated the adults areas; not relaxing. Anyone know about dedicated areas for the teens?

That's odd. From your signature it looks like you were on Norwegian Star which has a teen club on deck 12.

That's odd. From your signature it looks like you were on Norwegian Star which has a teen club on deck 12.

Zeta3 -- We were just on the NCL Star, and they do have a teen club, but is it SMALL, not one room (chopped up with stuff in the middle; you have to navigate like a obstacle course). The teens room was for ages 13 to 17. If there were 20 kids in the teen room, it was packed like sardines. I am hoping that Vista has a dedicated teen room like their other ships. Anyone know if the Vista will have a dedicated teen room? I do not see a Club O2 on the deck plans.