Holland America Intros Dive-In Burgers and Dogs

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Cannonball on the Westerdam last week. Default is well done but the posted menu has been edited and states you can ask for another degree of doneness. Liked the *pager* system so you don't have to stand there waiting.

with this new system the way they have it set up you place your order then wait and wait and wait and wait.. at least with the old system there was a line you could see how many people were in front of you...and you knew how long it would be.. now it could be way too long.. at least for me.. my take... it stinx.. maybe HAL should do their homework before starting something like this..gimme back my old burger..pizza..taco grill ..it was way better

Edited by Stakeout

• 2 weeks later...
with this new system the way they have it set up you place your order then wait and wait and wait and wait.. at least with the old system there was a line you could see how many people were in front of you...and you knew how long it would be.. now it could be way too long.. at least for me.. my take... it stinx.. maybe HAL should do their homework before starting something like this..gimme back my old burger..pizza..taco grill ..it was way better

I think HAL did their homework. The old burger doesn't even compare to the new burgers. Not the dried out burger on a hamburger bun any more. The Cannonball features Gouda cheese on a toasted brioche bun.

We had about ten in front of us and our pager went off in about 9-10 minutes. HAL certainly DID do their homework. I saw no one at the taco bar the times I was there. I usually frequent that venue, but not with the Dive being a few feet away.

Edited by kjw869

They had this on board the Nieuw Amsterdam a few weeks ago. It really served a fantastic burger comparable to one you'd get at a true burger shack on land. Really enjoyed it.

I don't think that 'Dive-In' will work for me! :( I'd rather have a more efficient service for lunch & therefor will continue to have a (healthier) lunch in the Lido! ;)

I had this on the Noordam, soaked in the hot tub while I waited for the page to go off. I think the pager is a good system.

I liked the burger, but I didn't like the hot dog. Maybe I'm too spoiled by NY Kosher hot dogs.

IMO, the burgers are better than they were pre-Dive In. BUT the system needs tweaking. On our day in Kodiak, we returned to the ship around 2:30PM after the Lido had closed for lunch. Dive In was the only game in town, except Room Service. We waited 40 minutes for a hot dog. An elderly couple next to us waited nearly 50 minutes for their two hot dogs .... the gentleman was so hungry he began shaking.

We discussed this with the Neptune Concierge and were approached by the Lido/Canaletto Manager, who was interested and apologetic. We haven't been back so it remains to be seen if improvement has been made.

My two cents is that on port days when Dive In is the only late lunch option, HAL needs to ramp up the service.

Dive-In is on the Volendam and was working great.

I got the Chicken sandwich, and it *was* really good.

The fries, however, tasted frozen. The "dive-in" sauce was sort of like a glue type substance.

It's sooooo good!! Smoked meat. Yum.

Not all beef brisket is smoked in Canada. It is widely used in Asian cooking in Vancouver and is really slowly braised beef brisket not smoked meat as you would find in Montreal and Toronto.:)

I think HAL did do their homework. I never used to get a hot dog or hamburger because I hated standing in line while they cooked other people's orders before they even took my order. And I told them so in their surveys. Now, they take my order and I don't have to stand around. I can find a table, get my beverage, etc. I ate at the Dive Inn almost every day on the Maasdam and thoroughly enjoyed it. It never took more than ten minutes for my buzzer to go off. And the food tastes great.

rare or med-rare? Nathan's franks are kosher like ny dogs.

YES, you can ask for something other than well done.

And you can also ask for a custom burger .... DH likes cheese, onions, mayo only. And although there is no space for customization on the order-taker's form, DH has gotten his burger of choice twice now.

HAL, if you're reading this: please consider modifying the order form to allow space for customization. It'd make the order-taker and chefs' jobs a lot easier.

Just had a couple of delicious burgers on the Zuidy this past week. Cheese fries were delish, too. The hotdogs were nothing special but tasty. We never waited longer than a few minutes, even when there was a bit of a line. They were super efficient so they must be getting used to the system. And with the pager, you can enjoy the view and your drink while you wait.