Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Thank you for your help. I think we are going to go with the Embassy. The thing on the Bimini menu DH was looking at was the baby back rids. Is there anyplace close with that sort of thing? He is so picky, won't eat seafood, doesn't like cheese so that throws out Italian or Mexican.

Oh my.....well, across the street is also Chuck's Steakhouse and

next door to Embassy is an Outback.

Chuck's is local....of course you know Outback.....he could get a steak

and does he eat potatoes?:eek:

Oh my.....well, across the street is also Chuck's Steakhouse and

next door to Embassy is an Outback.

Chuck's is local....of course you know Outback.....he could get a steak

and does he eat potatoes?:eek:

Yes he does eat potatoes. I guess we will plan on one of those. Thanks again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ok..thanks:)......found out SW has cut waaayyy back on their

flights from here to FLL:(.......so I may actually drive down for my

next cruise but the kicker is, I am sailing from Miami:rolleyes:

Lois, you might be in luck...JetBlue just announced they are looking to add 2 flights a day betwen Jacksonville and FLL starting at the end of October.:)

Lois, you might be in luck...JetBlue just announced they are looking to add 2 flights a day betwen Jacksonville and FLL starting at the end of October.:)

Hi Sharon:).....yes, I just found this out.:D I didn't post it on here but

I had started a thread on the "Air Forum".

Thanks for the tip though:D.....I flew Jet Blue once from here to San

Juan and was very impressed:)

I have been reading through this thread and others, trying to determine the current (may/june 2014) price for a taxi from a ft lauderdale hotel to port of miami. Earlier in this thread someone said it is $15 but that sounds really low. In other threads they said $80-85. That's a big difference! I need to know the taxi price asap so I know whether we can do that, or if we need to book a shuttle. I'd much rather do a taxi, but not if it is $85.

I have been reading through this thread and others, trying to determine the current (may/june 2014) price for a taxi from a ft lauderdale hotel to port of miami. Earlier in this thread someone said it is $15 but that sounds really low. In other threads they said $80-85. That's a big difference! I need to know the taxi price asap so I know whether we can do that, or if we need to book a shuttle. I'd much rather do a taxi, but not if it is $85.

Shuttle prices are around $15 per person. Taxi prices are in the $75+ range depending on how long the trip is (workday versus a weekend day) and how much tip is added. From 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale (location of lots of hotels) to the Port of Miami it is about 30 miles.

Hi:)....it is about 15 bucks from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to Port

Everglades......but from Ft. Lauderdale down to Miami? Much closer

to 80 bucks....not sure who told you it was only 15.00....sounds like

that was a communication error.

It can take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes from the FLL to

Miami (depends on traffic).

BJ's warehouse allows guests to purchase, like Costco. We bought wine to bring on our cruise at a discount for our two bottles but would consider buying a case for longer cruises even with the corkage fees

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello,

Any foodie experts can recommend good cuban restaurant? We will be staying at westin beach fll. Any close by? Dosen't have to be a fancy restaurant. TIA

Las Vegas Cuban is on E. Oakland Park Blvd., about 3.5 miles away. The food is good there and I would recommend it. It's not fancy. My favorite dish is the plantain encrusted fish.

Catalina is about 3.5 miles away on N Federal Hwy. This place is way overpriced and the food isn't great. I was served an inedible steak full of gristle and the server didn't return after serving it for about a half hour. There is no host stand, no clear host, and the parking entrance is in the back, so it's very awkward getting in and waiting to be seated. The only thing nice here IMO is the decor.

Edited by royalcruz

Please help!! We are flying into FLL on Jan. 3 and sailing out of POM on Jan 4. We usually stay at Best Western Oceanside because we have enough points for a free night. My quandary is this: Do I take a shuttle to a Miami Best Western from FLL on the 3rd, or do I stay in Ft. Lauderdale and take a shuttle from my hotel on the day we sail. The hotel I mentioned is outside the area designated as "Airport" hotel so the fare is higher. I have never used one of these services and am concerned I may be left stranded on sail day. The location of the Best Western in Miami that is considered an "Airport" hotel is not as nice (Shops, restaurants, etc.) as the Ft. Lauderdale hotel. I do know that SAS will not go to a Miami hotel. I do not know which, if any, shuttle services will pick up outside the "Airport" radius. Any advice or suggested shuttle providers will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your help, Linda

We will be cruising out of FLL for the first time this January and I am trying to figure out where to stay pre and post cruise for one night each. Can you tell me if there is an area similar to the Bayside Marketplace in Miami? I am hoping to book for under $200 a night, and have stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Please help!! We are flying into FLL on Jan. 3 and sailing out of POM on Jan 4. We usually stay at Best Western Oceanside because we have enough points for a free night. My quandary is this: Do I take a shuttle to a Miami Best Western from FLL on the 3rd, or do I stay in Ft. Lauderdale and take a shuttle from my hotel on the day we sail. The hotel I mentioned is outside the area designated as "Airport" hotel so the fare is higher. I have never used one of these services and am concerned I may be left stranded on sail day. The location of the Best Western in Miami that is considered an "Airport" hotel is not as nice (Shops, restaurants, etc.) as the Ft. Lauderdale hotel. I do know that SAS will not go to a Miami hotel. I do not know which, if any, shuttle services will pick up outside the "Airport" radius. Any advice or suggested shuttle providers will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks for your help, Linda

Idea: Stay at Best Western Oceanside, arrange for SAS pickup from FLL and take a cab to FLL.

We will be cruising out of FLL for the first time this January and I am trying to figure out where to stay pre and post cruise for one night each. Can you tell me if there is an area similar to the Bayside Marketplace in Miami? I am hoping to book for under $200 a night, and have stores and restaurants within walking distance.

There is nothing like Bayside in Fort Lauderdale. If your budget is under $200 in January, you should consider booking on Priceline or Hotwire for a "downtown/port" zone hotel.

We could rent a car, but really like you said we would probably prefer to just kick back and relax and have someone else take us. It's ok driving in the US when it's not too busy but I can imagine getting to a heat game could be busy.

Do you know of any limo companies we could check out that would do that kind of trip? Would it be easy to find the limo after the game?

I cannot imagine trying to drive in that much traffic on the opposite side of the road than what you are used to. (You guys drive on the left, don't you?) With any limo companies I have used, they work out an exact pick up location for you before you are dropped off at your event.

For my own question: I am trying to figure out where to stay in FLL for one overnight for the cruise leaving the next day. A light breakfast would be nice as I take medicine that I need to eat with. Also a free shuttle to the pier or a decent taxi fare to the port.

Anyone have some guidelines?

I cannot imagine trying to drive in that much traffic on the opposite side of the road than what you are used to. (You guys drive on the left, don't you?) With any limo companies I have used, they work out an exact pick up location for you before you are dropped off at your event.

For my own question: I am trying to figure out where to stay in FLL for one overnight for the cruise leaving the next day. A light breakfast would be nice as I take medicine that I need to eat with. Also a free shuttle to the pier or a decent taxi fare to the port.

Anyone have some guidelines?

Hello:) there are tons and tons of hotels all around Ft. Lauderdale

and the beach areas.....As for picking a hotel with a shuttle service?

I would not put that as a priority..there are many hotels that are

between a 10.00-20.00 cab ride.....and you can choose to leave

for the port when you want. Shuttles normally have specific times.

Along 17th Street there are Embassy Suites, Renassiance, Hyatt

Place, and a Holiday Inn Exppress. There is an Einstein Bagels

near all the hotels I just mentioned. You can go there for breakfast:)

They are also very near the port.

There is also Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66 on 17th too.

Have a great cruise:D

Hi, Is there a Bar or restaurant ideally located that you can see the ships leaving port everglades on a Saturday evening?

Thanks.

I'd like to know this, too. Sounds like a really cool idea.

Hi, Is there a Bar or restaurant ideally located that you can see the ships leaving port everglades on a Saturday evening?

Thanks.

There aren't any bars or restaurants overlooking Port Everglades. You can see the ships going out in the distance from the oceanfront restaurants on Fort Lauderdale beach if you have a south-facing view on the east edge of the restaurant. An example is the restaurant H2O or Lulu's Bait Shack.

Hi! We're driving down to FLL and looking to find a hotel that does a cruise package so we can leave our car at the hotel. Does anyone have any ideas for us?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Here are 4 websites:

www.buyreservations.com

www.stay123.net

http://www.parksleephotels.com/

http://www.stayparktravel.com

Click on each one, find Ft. Lauderdale and see which hotels

are offered and where you want stay. Those 4 links should give

you plenty of choices.

Edited by Lois R