Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

I am wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on the Sheraton Suites at Cypress Creek? I can get this hotel for one night prior to our cruise (January 17th) using SPG points. Our flight does not arrive till 7pm so we are looking for a place within walking distance of a few restaurants (not including the ones in the hotel) and place to go and have a drink. Another option is the Universal Palms Hotel. We are trying to keep the cost for the room under 200.00

I am wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on the Sheraton Suites at Cypress Creek? I can get this hotel for one night prior to our cruise (January 17th) using SPG points. Our flight does not arrive till 7pm so we are looking for a place within walking distance of a few restaurants (not including the ones in the hotel) and place to go and have a drink. Another option is the Universal Palms Hotel. We are trying to keep the cost for the room under 200.00

Universal Palms is right off I-95 in a lower income area, so not much nice to walk to around there.

Sheraton is a few blocks from a big mall and a bunch of casual restaurants like Macaroni Grill and TGIFridays.

Is there anything walkable(stores, etc) from the port? And can we drop off our bags and go places? Our ship is being inspected and we were told to not arrive before 12;30, but our hotel shuttle is leaving at 10;30, what to do in the meantime?

If it's at terminal 2, walk to 17th St and turn left and you'll find a few stores. Otherwise, take a taxi to 17th St. There's a Ross and Dollar Tree and a TJ Maxx will soon be opening. There are also a few boutiques in Harbor Shops there.

I can't tell you about Sawgrass Mills on Jan 1st as I've never done that. Hopefully you have a car, as taxi fare would be really expensive to go there ( $100 or more round trip).

Thanks again for the info! We won't have a car, but don't worry, DW says that we will save so much shopping there that the $100 will seem like a bargain!:eek::eek:

Can anyone familiar with FLL offer info on where the new Residence Inn is on Anglers Ave, Dania Beach? We have reservations there for one night Dec.19th. We need a Marriott brand as one party in our group has points for their stay. Our family is traveling with my mother and needs an additional bed space, that's how we ended up with Residence Inn. Now I'm looking at the area and there is NOTHING around as far as dining and grocery or convenience stores… Can anyone recommend a Marriott brand closer to amenities within walking distance as we are not planning on renting a car. Or, can we get by with another option for dinner that night??? We need two rooms with at least three beds.. Right now our reservation is $276 for a 2 room suite which fits our needs perfectly except for lack of amenities in the area.. Thanks!

Excuse me in advance if this question has been asked/answered, but by page 8 I noticed most of the Q's were re: where to stay and how to get to the port or FLL.

My question is getting to the port. Will Princess email where to get the ship (there appear to be 2 or 3 Princess ships in port on November 20) Do I just tell the taxi (or shuttle) driver the name of the ship. Does Princess process all passengers at the same desk and then tell them where to go??? I'm curious how the process of checking in happens.

Maybe I should ask this on the Princess board?

Thanks in advance!

Excuse me in advance if this question has been asked/answered, but by page 8 I noticed most of the Q's were re: where to stay and how to get to the port or FLL.

My question is getting to the port. Will Princess email where to get the ship (there appear to be 2 or 3 Princess ships in port on November 20) Do I just tell the taxi (or shuttle) driver the name of the ship. Does Princess process all passengers at the same desk and then tell them where to go??? I'm curious how the process of checking in happens.

Maybe I should ask this on the Princess board?

Thanks in advance!

There is a directory at the entrance to the port with the ships and their respective terminal numbers. Just tell the driver your ship and they will take you to the correct terminal.

Can anyone familiar with FLL offer info on where the new Residence Inn is on Anglers Ave, Dania Beach? We have reservations there for one night Dec.19th. We need a Marriott brand as one party in our group has points for their stay. Our family is traveling with my mother and needs an additional bed space, that's how we ended up with Residence Inn. Now I'm looking at the area and there is NOTHING around as far as dining and grocery or convenience stores… Can anyone recommend a Marriott brand closer to amenities within walking distance as we are not planning on renting a car. Or, can we get by with another option for dinner that night??? We need two rooms with at least three beds.. Right now our reservation is $276 for a 2 room suite which fits our needs perfectly except for lack of amenities in the area.. Thanks!

The Residence Inn Dania is a half mile from Rustic Inn and Tropical Acres, but there aren't stores there. I'm sure you could also get dinner delivered from somewhere. The Renaissance by the port in Ft Lauderdale is a Marriott Property and there are stores and many restaurants nearby. The Springhill Suites is another option...it's also in Dania, but is across from Oakwood Plaza with stores and chain restaurants.

There is a directory at the entrance to the port with the ships and their respective terminal numbers. Just tell the driver your ship and they will take you to the correct terminal.

Thanks! 2nd Cruise, First was SFO-HI and the embarkation was anything but typical, so looking for a routine, low stress experience this time! Cheers!

5280mom.....I bet there will be menus available for delivery to your room.....put your feet up and enjoy a simple takeout meal..am sure you can call to confirm....I just spent a week looking for just the right place in the area....if you found one keep it.!!.....and enjoy your cruise....

Has anyone stayed at the Hollywood Beach Cruise Port Resort? Just booked a room for $61 through LMT (Last minute travel) for November 15th. Mixed reviews so just looking for any opinions on the hotel. Going on the Allure of the Seas Nov 16th!!!;)

Has anyone stayed at the Hollywood Beach Cruise Port Resort? Just booked a room for $61 through LMT (Last minute travel) for November 15th. Mixed reviews so just looking for any opinions on the hotel. Going on the Allure of the Seas Nov 16th!!!;)

Interesting...this is the historic Hollywood Beach Resort Hotel...it seems they recently changed the name to include "cruise port"...seems dishonest to me, as this hotel is 8.5 miles from Port Everglades. It's going to cost as much in taxis as you paid for the hotel! Anyway, it's a very strange hotel. I knew someone who lived in a studio in the hotel; she rented it out from a condo-owner because it was cheaper than renting an apt inland. I haven't been there for several years because it's not desirable, and recent reviews aren't any better. It's going to cost as much in taxis as you paid for the hotel! The good thing is it is on the beach.

Edited by royalcruz

We are going to try Uber from hotel to ship...should be way cheaper than an actual taxi! Anyone know if you can use Uber from FLL to hotel?

:cool:

There have been reports that Uber has had trouble getting thru security at port. Not sure if that is still the case, but read it in this board about 2 weeks ago.

Well, we are staying at the Extended Stay America on 17th St. Seems a little weird to me just for one night, but it gets decent reviews on Trip Advisor, mainly good ones, actually. Plus, it looks to be w/in walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. Wanted to not spend $200+ and I got this for around $140. We really just need a clean place to sleep and access to some dinner. Seems like it should be an inexpensive taxi ride to the port. Hoping for the best.

We are going to try Uber from hotel to ship...should be way cheaper than an actual taxi! Anyone know if you can use Uber from FLL to hotel?

:cool:

You can use Uber from FLL if you get lucky...authorities have been ticketing them at the airport, as they do not have airport permits. The airport gives out a very limited number of driver permits and they are close to impossible to get.

I am very interested in Uber usage (never used it but my son raves about it) in Ft Lauderdale. If anyone can post thier experience I would appreciate it.

We are staying at the Ocean Sky in Dec. for 3 nights and it is about 14 miles (25 minutes) from the port and FLL.

We do not want to rent a car because we will not use it much; and the parking is $15 a night.

I heard a cab is going to be about $60, its not going to break us but always ready to look into other ways.

Thanks in advance

Harry

Well, we are staying at the Extended Stay America on 17th St. Seems a little weird to me just for one night, but it gets decent reviews on Trip Advisor, mainly good ones, actually. Plus, it looks to be w/in walking distance of shops, restaurants etc. Wanted to not spend $200+ and I got this for around $140. We really just need a clean place to sleep and access to some dinner. Seems like it should be an inexpensive taxi ride to the port. Hoping for the best.

They have a shuttle. The taxi is only about $6, but they may charge you a minimum of $10. They did us, but we were coming from the port (and then their own shuttle offered to take us to the airport for no charge at the end of the visit. We gave them what a taxi would have been, since we weren't actually staying there, just visiting someone). It is a nice area.

Booked a 10am flight out of FLL coming off the Liberty of the Seas. Plan on doing the self-debarkation. Cutting it too close? Are taxis usually waiting at the pier in the AM or am I best booking an early shuttle?

I've had a 1030 am flight in May and did self debarkation and was at airport by 830 am and yes taxis are outside waiting . Was off ship by 715am

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am very interested in Uber usage (never used it but my son raves about it) in Ft Lauderdale. If anyone can post thier experience I would appreciate it.

We are staying at the Ocean Sky in Dec. for 3 nights and it is about 14 miles (25 minutes) from the port and FLL.

We do not want to rent a car because we will not use it much; and the parking is $15 a night.

I heard a cab is going to be about $60, its not going to break us but always ready to look into other ways.

Thanks in advance

Harry

It is 15 miles from the airport to the hotel using I95 or 11 miles using A1A, but traffic can be heavy the second way if it's 4 pm or later. It's only 8 miles to the port using A1A, which will have light traffic in the morning.