Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Thank you. Also Marriott Residence Inn is taking over the Il Lugano. It's about 7 miles north of the port (so more taxi fare) but it's very nice, close to water taxi and a bunch of restaurants and 2 blocks from beach (Fort Lauderdale). It's great for between cruises because there are washers and dryers in the units.

Thank you for all the ideas. Turns out the Renaissance was full, too, so we booked the Hilton Beach Resort (before reading your last post), with the idea of taking a taxi over to the galleria mall for restaurants in the evening. Is this a good decision? 52 Seasons maybe?

Thank you for all the ideas. Turns out the Renaissance was full, too, so we booked the Hilton Beach Resort (before reading your last post), with the idea of taking a taxi over to the galleria mall for restaurants in the evening. Is this a good decision? 52 Seasons maybe?

Hilton Beach is nice. It was built only a few years ago and has also been renovated recently. I didn't recommend it because you wanted something close to water taxi. I like Seasons 52, but I also like the restaurant in your hotel S3 (AKA Sun, Sand Surf) a lot, as well as Beauty and the Feast a couple of blocks north in the Atlantic Hotel. Unless you are planning to go mall shopping, there is no need to taxi to the mall.

My husband and I are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in January, we are wondering where is a decent and reasonably priced place to stay? We will be flying in a couple of days early, and would like to spend a little time on the beach. Does it pay to get a place on the beach or get a place farther away and rent a car. I am also thinking that taxi's might be cheaper than a car rental or shuttle?

There are several decent and reasonable places to stay in the beach area and close to the port. Taxi to hotel and to port won't be expensive, just about $20-25:

Best Western Oceanside

Alhambra Beach Resort

Bahia Mar

Royalcruz, I just wanted to thank you for all your help in planning the Ft Lauderdale part of our cruise. Hyatt Place worked out great, Duffys for some afternoon snacks and finally a great dinner at Sweet Nectar on Las Olas and of course Total Wine.

Finally thanks for the tip about not taking hotel shuttle to port. I had arranged a taxi the night before through the "taxi app" on my iPad. Walked outside in the morning after I got a text that my taxi was on the way. The shuttle was sitting there and the driver asked if I was going to the port? I said I was but I had arranged a taxi. He told me that wasn't necessary. I said, "thanks, but I'm good" taxi arrived, we loaded up & 5-10 min later & $8.30 (+$5tip) we were at the port. I'm sure the shuttle was still sitting at the hotel waiting to fill up. I was telling the taxi driver my story & he just shook his head bc it was so much cheaper to take a taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be staying at the Hyatt Place 17th pre-cruise. Can you provide the "taxi app" information? We'd rather take a taxi than the shuttle. Can the front desk reserve a taxi for you the night before your departure to the port? I know at the Hyatt Place it is suggested that upon arrival at the hotel you ask to have your name added to the list for the shuttle. Thanks.

We are arriving into FLL a day early and have an early flight. I am familiar with Harbor Shops but we'd like to go to Las Olas. I'm not sure how far it is from the Hyatt Place 17th St. Do you suggest we taxi and how much is the fare? Thank you.

Hilton Beach is nice. It was built only a few years ago and has also been renovated recently. I didn't recommend it because you wanted something close to water taxi. I like Seasons 52, but I also like the restaurant in your hotel S3 (AKA Sun, Sand Surf) a lot, as well as Beauty and the Feast a couple of blocks north in the Atlantic Hotel. Unless you are planning to go mall shopping, there is no need to taxi to the mall.

Thank you for for the endorsement of Hilton Beach. And yes, I did want to be close to the water taxi, but booked this hotel because I thought I might be running out of time to get a nice room, which is more important to us than saving a little money, or being on the water taxi route. If you can point me to a better choice I would be more than willing to change. Thank you, too, for the restaurant information. They both sound very good.

We will be staying at the Hyatt Place 17th pre-cruise. Can you provide the "taxi app" information? We'd rather take a taxi than the shuttle. Can the front desk reserve a taxi for you the night before your departure to the port? I know at the Hyatt Place it is suggested that upon arrival at the hotel you ask to have your name added to the list for the shuttle. Thanks.

Yellow Cab phone number is 954-777-7777. There is no need to pre-reserve a taxi unless you have a plane to catch. Being near hotels, airport, and port, a taxi will be dispatched to you very quickly. Sometimes the hotel staff pressure guests into booking shuttles; there is no need to involve the staff in getting a taxi if you have a phone. Maybe Workinmom3 will come back to give you information about the app.

Edited by royalcruz

We are arriving into FLL a day early and have an early flight. I am familiar with Harbor Shops but we'd like to go to Las Olas. I'm not sure how far it is from the Hyatt Place 17th St. Do you suggest we taxi and how much is the fare? Thank you.

Yellow Cab phone number is 954-777-7777. Request that they take you to Cheesecake Factory or Riverside Hotel via US1 for the shortest and fastest route to Las Olas Blvd downtown. Fare should be about $10. It's about 2-3 miles.

You can take public buses or Suntrolley but you will have to transfer (take 2 buses), so it takes too long. It's a longer ride plus waiting 4 times round trip.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you for for the endorsement of Hilton Beach. And yes, I did want to be close to the water taxi, but booked this hotel because I thought I might be running out of time to get a nice room, which is more important to us than saving a little money, or being on the water taxi route. If you can point me to a better choice I would be more than willing to change. Thank you, too, for the restaurant information. They both sound very good.

The Hilton is as good a choice as any. I would recommend sticking with that. It seems to get nicer there every year. For future reference, other very nice beachfront hotels in the same vicinity are W, Atlantic, and Ritz Carlton, all built in the last 10 yrs. Westin (formerly Yankee Trader) and Sonesta (formerly B Ocean, formerly Holiday Inn) were closed and fully renovated and reopened during the same time period in the same vicinity.

The Hilton is as good a choice as any. I would recommend sticking with that. It seems to get nicer there every year. For future reference, other very nice beachfront hotels in the same vicinity are W, Atlantic, and Ritz Carlton, all built in the last 10 yrs. Westin (formerly Yankee Trader) and Sonesta (formerly B Ocean, formerly Holiday Inn) were closed and fully renovated and reopened during the same time period in the same

Then we will stay with the Hilton and feel very comfortable with our choice, given your recommendation. :) you help take a lot of stress out of the planning. Thanks for all the extra information for future trips. We love sailing out of Fort Lauderdale.

If choosing a hotel to stay at pre-cruise out of Pt. Everglades, would you choose

Best Western Plus or Hyatt Place ?

The price is about the same. Which has better amenities and/or shopping?

Hubby is mobility challenged and walking to places is out of the question.

If choosing a hotel to stay at pre-cruise out of Pt. Everglades, would you choose

Best Western Plus or Hyatt Place ?

The price is about the same. Which has better amenities and/or shopping?

Hubby is mobility challenged and walking to places is out of the question.

I'm not sure which locations you are looking at for these hotel chains, so pay attention to the locations below...

Hyatt Place Convention center/17th St area has much better and closer shopping/dining. Best Western Plus on Stirling Rd is not very close to shopping. It's a few blocks and across a large multilane road from a very large shopping center. Hyatt Place Dania is closer to the shopping center but you still have to cross the big street.

• 2 weeks later...
Sharon and other commenters, thank you for all of your valuable input and suggestions. Just booked Hyatt Place through Valuetrips.com. Great rate for middle of March compared to full price at any other comparable or even lesser hotel.

I'm glad you were able to get that. They offer such a great deal if you aren't looking for a resort and your date isn't blacked out.

Sharon and all CCPosters, Thank you for your wealth of information, patience and sense of humour.

I just cancelled Hilton Marina @$259 (2 nights January) and re-booked with Hyatt Regency Pier 66. Bingo! Hyatt offered $199 with Costco membership.

The 2 properties are literally across the inlet..I can walk across the bridge for $60.

The Hyatt offered a 'Cruise & Sleep' $269 pack which included wifi breakfast & upgrade room. At this late date they couldn't offer an upgrade..so I will stay at $$199 and see what happens at check in...this is like playing blackjack.

Merry Christmas