Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Hello!

It's our first time cruising from Port Everglades. Can you advise us if flying into Orlando the day before and driving to FLL is a decent option? The kids want to go to Universal after our cruise so we'll likely fly home from Orlando. We understand Florida traffic can be really heavy at times, is this about a 4 hour trip? Thank you!

Normally a bit less than 4 hours, but I think it's good to budget extra time in case of delays.

Taking cruise out of Miami on Jan 17. Flying into FLL late night Jan 16. Any suggestions for easy cheap hotel near FLL and transport to Miami port on Sat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck!! 7 ships in port in FLL on 1/17. The prices for the 16th have been really high for a long time.

I've read back through this quite a ways and didn't see am answer for part of this so here goes...

I'm cruising with my 72 year old dad on 1/31 it off Miami. Air from Boston is crazy right now so thinking of staying in FLL. We'll be arriving 1/29. Planning on using price line or hotel tonight for rooms. Open to other suggestions though.... My plan is to go back to FLL airport and take Miami port express (13$ each), down to the Miami port on Saturday morning. Haven't found much info about them. Is this a decent company ? Is this a decent plan? Probably my dad's last vacation just don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance... Sharon you're amazing!

Taking cruise out of Miami on Jan 17. Flying into FLL late night Jan 16. Any suggestions for easy cheap hotel near FLL and transport to Miami port on Sat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Ft Lauderdale airport cruise port earlier this month. Arranged transport to port of Miami with SAS transport. Picked us up at the hotel and arranged post cruise transport back to FLL. It was easy and quick.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

I've read back through this quite a ways and didn't see am answer for part of this so here goes...

I'm cruising with my 72 year old dad on 1/31 it off Miami. Air from Boston is crazy right now so thinking of staying in FLL. We'll be arriving 1/29. Planning on using price line or hotel tonight for rooms. Open to other suggestions though.... My plan is to go back to FLL airport and take Miami port express (13$ each), down to the Miami port on Saturday morning. Haven't found much info about them. Is this a decent company ? Is this a decent plan? Probably my dad's last vacation just don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance... Sharon you're amazing!

I've never heard of Miami Port Express. Otherwise, it's a good plan. Many Cruise Critic members use SAS or QLS shuttles and they pick up at most airport area hotels and at FLL. I think they charge $15pp. On Priceline and Hotwire use the airport or downtown zone so that you won't get stuck with high taxi fares...this will keep it between $10 and $25 if you get a hotel without free airport shuttles.

Edited by royalcruz

I appreciate your quick answer and we'll go with SAS to be safe.

Are you familiar with Paradise Oceanfront Hotel by chance. It has great reviews, I know it's in Hollywood, we could always rent a car. Seems real cute and is right on the water. Thanks again and have a save and happy New Year's Eve everyone!

I appreciate your quick answer and we'll go with SAS to be safe.

Are you familiar with Paradise Oceanfront Hotel by chance. It has great reviews, I know it's in Hollywood, we could always rent a car. Seems real cute and is right on the water. Thanks again and have a save and happy New Year's Eve everyone!

I'm not familiar with Hollywood Beach area.

Please advise--we are using our Delta miles to take care of our hotel room pre-cruise--please help us decide: Homewood Suites Dania Beach OR Hampton Inn North Cruiseport--both have a 24 hr airport shuttle (our flight arrives at 11:40 p.m. on Friday, March 20) and we're taking a cruise to the Panama Canal on Saturday, March 21. Both have a hot breakfast. Thanks for giving us YOUR input!

Please advise--we are using our Delta miles to take care of our hotel room pre-cruise--please help us decide: Homewood Suites Dania Beach OR Hampton Inn North Cruiseport--both have a 24 hr airport shuttle (our flight arrives at 11:40 p.m. on Friday, March 20) and we're taking a cruise to the Panama Canal on Saturday, March 21. Both have a hot breakfast. Thanks for giving us YOUR input!

If you want to pick up wine or toiletries in the morning for the cruise, Hampton is very close to Winn-Dixie and a liquor store, and Homewood is NOT close to any stores. I haven't been inside either of the hotels, but I've stayed at hotels in both chains and the breakfasts are very similar (maybe a very slight edge to Homewood on the breakfast). Hampton is closer to the port, so you will save on taxi fare. Homewoods have real suites, with kitchens, but it doesn't sound like you need that.

DH and I will be flying home in a few weeks from FLL. We will likely have 5-6 hours to kill at the airport. After a 15 day Panama Canal cruise I don't think we'll want or need to really "do" anything much. What might we expect at the airport? Any good restaurants? Comfy areas to read and people watch? Thanks!

Normally a bit less than 4 hours, but I think it's good to budget extra time in case of delays.

Thanks very much Clarea,

We've decided to fly into FLL & then home from MCO. We will have to look into a car rental from the port or location nearby. Thanks for confirming the approx travel time for us! Cheers!

If I was planning a 10:25 am flight out of fort Lauderdale would that be too early from port everglades if our ship is the only one in port?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

You should be fine as long as you carry your own luggage off the ship and get to the disembarkation area very early. Fort Lauderdale can be a busy airport in the mornings, so aim to be at the airport by 9 to check bags and get through security lines.

DH and I will be flying home in a few weeks from FLL. We will likely have 5-6 hours to kill at the airport. After a 15 day Panama Canal cruise I don't think we'll want or need to really "do" anything much. What might we expect at the airport? Any good restaurants? Comfy areas to read and people watch? Thanks!

Hi:).....not much really. I have been flying in/out of FLL for years.

I know some folks don't like it but I can only speak for me....it is very

easy to get in/out but as for restaurants? I always fly Southwest....

in that terminal there is a Sportsbar/Restaurant. I forget the name.

They also have a pizza place (but it is for take out only)......

There is a Dunkin Donuts and I think I am missing another one.....can't

rememeber. .but they also have an area where you can get pre-made

salads and sandwiches and there are tables and chairs.

Not sure if the other terminals offer the same choices or not........

Comfy areas? Not really.....

What time is your flight home?

Thanks for the info, Lois. Our flight is at 7 pm. I don't know which terminal Virgin Atlantic uses. I looked it up, but then the website map called the terminals differently than the listing for the airlines.

Most or all of the eateries are beyond the security lines, but you can't check in your luggage until a few hours before the flight, and you can't bring big luggage through security. What to do? There is luggage storage in one of the terminals....maybe security will allow you to store your luggage and then go through and hang out and get your luggage later.

Great cab fare prices what would you suggest for a large party of 20???? We are staying on 17th st:-) would love some suggestions.:D

QLS and SAS might be able to help. Or charter a bus. It's been so long since we chartered a bus that I don't have any info. After all, it might be most cost effective to take a bunch of taxis.