Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Is valuetrips.com pretty good about getting a reservation confirmed? I've never used them before, I am looking for mid august.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

Edited by duegwb

Is valuetrips.com pretty good about getting a reservation confirmed? I've never used them before, I am looking for mid august.

They take a few days to get back to you.

Mid-August is a great time to get a bargain hotel in Ft Lauderdale, but $99 at Hyatt Place is hard to beat.

We are disembarking in Port Everglades and our flight leaves from MIA at 7 PM that evening. I know that I can take a Princess shuttle for $24 pp to MIA but that would leave probably early in the morning. I've read a taxi would be about $85. Is there anything we could do near the Miami Airport that day? We could go there early, check in our bags and then have the whole afternoon to do something. I just don't know if the airport is near anything. Thanks for any suggestions.

You might want to check with the airlines about checking bags early. I believe last year we tried and they would not allow us to check them until three hours prior to the flight? Give the airline a call before you make plans, I think if you rent a car or van you could keep your luggage with you for the whole day and do just what you want!!

Hope this helps!

Joyce

There are 7 in our party and we need transport from Port Everglades to FLL after our cruise. We used the hotel shuttle the last time, which I think was approximately $16pp :confused:. I have a quote for a private shuttle for all of us plus luggage for $100, which is obviously cheaper than the $16pp, is this expensive or about right? I realise we could get taxis, however we'd need more than 2 to fit everyone plus bags. Ideally, we would prefer a private transfer rather than waiting in queues, jostling for shuttles etc. Any recommendations, or would you go with what we've been quoted?

There are 7 in our party and we need transport from Port Everglades to FLL after our cruise. We used the hotel shuttle the last time, which I think was approximately $16pp :confused:. I have a quote for a private shuttle for all of us plus luggage for $100, which is obviously cheaper than the $16pp, is this expensive or about right? I realise we could get taxis, however we'd need more than 2 to fit everyone plus bags. Ideally, we would prefer a private transfer rather than waiting in queues, jostling for shuttles etc. Any recommendations, or would you go with what we've been quoted?

Two taxi vans would work fine and only cost a total of $25 - $30. The taxi queues usually move quickly and all you need to do is tell the attendant you need vans instead of sedans.

I can't tell you what car rental company to go with (we got the best price from through our airline last year), but I can assure you that the airport is very close to the port. You could take a taxi to the airport from the ship if a shuttle is not available and ask them to drop you off near the car rentals (probably arrivals, if I recall correctly it was in the terminal). Then you can easily get to your rental.

For car rentals in other locations I have had great luck with Hotwire. You won't know the name of the company until after you purchase, but they only use major agencies in the terminal.

thanks so much, I appreciate your reply and input/suggestions!:)

I also have found the Costco prices to be the best for car rentals most of the time.

Avis (and National) has a free port shuttle from the airport. Budget has a free port shuttle from the 17th St location.

Use GoogleMaps to map Port Everglades. Then under "search nearby" enter car rentals. You will see that there are car rental agencies all over the place. The big companies have outlets both at the airport and outside of the airport. Where you see the tight cluster of agencies, that is the airport location; the others are spread out around US1/SE 17th St/A1A. It's only a $10-15 ride to get to any of them, and only a 5-10 minute ride (3 miles maybe).

A bunch of the rental car companies are owned by one company. I've used most of the big companies and it's all the same to me. I don't rent cars in Ft Lauderdale, so if you have further questions, hopefully someone else can help.

Oh! Google maps suggestion great idea thank you!!

And thanks for letting me know about Budget having shuttle (although we may just cab it if it isn't far)

Thanks again, everyone is so friendly and helpful on these forums!!!:D

Two taxi vans would work fine and only cost a total of $25 - $30. The taxi queues usually move quickly and all you need to do is tell the attendant you need vans instead of sedans.

Okay, thanks :). Are there usually a few vans available or are we likely to have to wait some time to grab two together?

Okay, thanks :). Are there usually a few vans available or are we likely to have to wait some time to grab two together?

Even if you can't find taxi vans, as long as you line up together you should be able to get 3 taxi cars in a row for a total of about $45.:)

How long does it normally take to get a confirmation email from valuetrips? I know it says two business days, and it's been about that if I made the reservation Monday evening. Or am I just being impatient?

How long does it normally take to get a confirmation email from valuetrips? I know it says two business days, and it's been about that if I made the reservation Monday evening. Or am I just being impatient?

We booked Sunday night and Wednesday I wrote to them telling them I did not get a confirmation. I also supplied an alternate email address. As of today, I have not heard anything yet. It said to give them 3 days to answer. ???

We booked Sunday night and Wednesday I wrote to them telling them I did not get a confirmation. I also supplied an alternate email address. As of today, I have not heard anything yet. It said to give them 3 days to answer. ???

I sent them an email today. I wonder if anyone else has been having the same issue with them?

I sent them an email today. I wonder if anyone else has been having the same issue with them?

Check your spam folder. When I booked with them, my confirmation email went to my spam folder about two days after I made the reservation. A CC member suggestd I check spam, and there it was. You can also call the hotel and confirm that they have your reservation.

Check your spam folder. When I booked with them, my confirmation email went to my spam folder about two days after I made the reservation. A CC member suggestd I check spam, and there it was. You can also call the hotel and confirm that they have your reservation.

Nope. Not in either spam folder! :(

Nope. Not in either spam folder! :(

Do you have AOL? They block emails from some unknown domains and they don't even go to spam. This happens to me and I don't even use a spam filter!

In any case, if you have an alternate email address, try that. I like HRPro's suggestion to check with the hotel directly because maybe you are booked but didn't get the email.

Edited by royalcruz

Do you have AOL? They block emails from some unknown domains and they don't even go to spam. This happens to me and I don't even use a spam filter!

In any case, if you have an alternate email address, try that. I like HRPro's suggestion to check with the hotel directly because maybe you are booked but didn't get the email.

My main email is cox.net and alternate is aol. Thanks. I will contact the hotel directly. :)

You can also call the hotel and confirm that they have your reservation.

I tried to retrieve/confirm my reservation on the hotel web site and could not. I called them and they had my reservation and immediately sent me a confirmation. We're all set now! :)

I tried to retrieve/confirm my reservation on the hotel web site and could not. I called them and they had my reservation and immediately sent me a confirmation. We're all set now! :)

Same here, called and all is good.

Anyone have a report on MJS recently? We have scheduled with them t o pick us up at the Hyatt House near FLL in 3 weeks. I just want to know of recent experience.

What company is MJS? I figure Uber would be a good way to get around too.