New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

I never realized the New York relationship with the Nieu Amsterdam.....I learn something new everyday....thank you. Never could figure out why there were two Amsterdam named ships......duh.

So I guess Statendam will be the logical choice for the new ship.

FlagFan.....warm up that ball of yours and tell me when to get a power ball ticket......daddy needs a few more cruises....expensive ones:rolleyes:

Have you seen the Atrium sculpture on NA? It is the NYC skyline.

Made maiden voyages in STATENDAM, MAASDAM, RYNDAM, VEENDAM and PRINSENDAM. I thought they were all rather special. Sure, some things can go 'wrong'... but.... I would not sweat it.

Don't forget.... the Inaugural Plate. Only time you get to one!

Enjoy.

Our cabin steward gave us an Inaugural plate on a cruise after the maiden voyage.

Well, HAL announced that they will transfer Rijndam and Statendam to P&O cruises...

I was surprised to read this. I figured that the Veendam and Maasdam would leave the fleet first. According to many posts I have seen since sailing on them myself, they apppear to have been more problematic than to other two, with ongoing HVAC and plumbing issues.

I think the name Statendam would be a prime choice for the new build. Historic, regal-sounding, and easy to pronounce :).

Edited by Ryndam2002

Keep the plates. They will increase value... many years ago.

I bought a World Cruise Bowl for the s.s. ROTTERDAM from 1961. The dealer set me back about $300. Then on EBAY I found a rare one... the maiden trip from the s.s. ROTTERDAM from 1959. Went up to $500. Only thing is it was not a 10 inch plate... it was just a small 4 inch plate. It is my pride and joy with this one.

I'm thinking about names for the next ship. Might be... a good name. Only thing is... if HAL have been known for at least a while back about the ship being to P&O Australia.... it would have been a bit of waste time asking staff to come up with names for the new ship. Hmm?

Would be good to have a class of ships... the S Class...

STELLENDAM

SCHIEDAM

SPAARNDAM

STATENDAM (Let the old name be 'forgetten.. a bit for a few years.)

• 3 months later...

Holland America Line announced proudly today through their Facebook-page that the new name of the pinnacle-class ship will be Koningsdam,

Koningsdam, literally translated means "Kingsdam", in honour of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands. As stated in their post HAL embraces their dutch cultural heritage with this name.

A great name in my opinion, and totally different than the previously rumoured " Groot Statendam". What do you think ?!

image.jpg.ebb8b591b9d4ebece4511140c3206f50.jpg

Edited by Meerdam16
Added picture

Holland America Line announced proudly today through their Facebook-page that the new name of the pinnacle-class ship will be Koningsdam,

Koningsdam, literally translated means "Kingsdam", in honour of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands. As stated in their post HAL embraces their dutch cultural heritage with this name.

A great name in my opinion, and totally different than the previously rumoured " Groot Statendam". What do you think ?!

Thanks for the information, so is it pronounced "kingsdam"?

Thanks for the information, so is it pronounced "kingsdam"?

It wil be pronounced Koningsdam. In English please pronounce it like KOHningsdam, otherwise it will sound something like KOEningsdam and "koe" is "cow" in Dutch. Not what the king (koning) would like.

It wil be pronounced Koningsdam. In English please pronounce it like KOHningsdam, otherwise it will sound something like KOEningsdam and "koe" is "cow" in Dutch. Not what the king (koning) would like.

Certainly not the easiest word for we (American) English speakers. Generally in the case above, the H (in KOH) would be silent (and might elicit a short O sound), sounding much like KOE for us (which at least should elicit a long O sound). Good for us to have to practice though. As KK says, interesting name and nice departure from previous names. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

Than you for the pronunciation. KOHningsdam is what I expected. In old phonetic terms, long o sound.

Apparently, this is the first HAL ship to have this name. I found this news item, with a picture. I hope the picture turns out to be wrong. Too many extra decks. It looks like a vista carrying a small building.

http://www.wsav.com/story/26531515/holland-america-line-names-2016-pinnacle-class-ship-ms-koningsdam