NCL Star - Obstructed View Oceanview

Empehi

Can anyone shed any light on which Obstructed View cabins have the least obstruction on the NCL Star. It appears that a few of the cabins are between the lifeboats ... are these cabins only partially obstructed? Thanks for any input .....

empehi

Our cabin 8102 was completely obstructed getting day light through a life boat that had lights on it all night so we had to close the blinds .

Also had to close the blind to change to as worker's walk by the windows to service the life boats almost every day.

I would save the $ and book and inside . JMHO

If you don't actually book a particular cabin and book a guaranty instead you will likely be "upgraded" to Deck 4 or Deck 5 cabin. We booked an OX on the Dawn and ended up in cabin 4522. I knew I was taking a chance and it wasn't as bad as I expected but I would have preferred to book a specific cabin and be on Deck 8 rather than needing to take the elevator almost every time we wanted to go somewhere.

You may also want to look at reviews for the Dawn as she is the Star's sister ship.

We had an "obstructed" ocean view cabin on the Star. From looking at the blue prints of the floor, we could tell it was kinda in between 2 of the life boats and it was.

Instead of just seeing a life boat, we were actually able to see the ocean as well.

inside-window-L.jpg

Looking up at the room from the deck below:

outside-window-L.jpg

• Like 1

We sailed the Star for Mexico & Alaska - one of the cabins we had was Obstructed OV on Deck 8 AFT but it was a bigger accessible cabin, the view was very similar to an identical one we had on the Jewel #8096 - probably 25 to 35% obstructed but plenty of natural lights over the top of the lifeboats.

SDC8002-OV8096.JPG

Depending on the angle, your view outside could be blocked up quite a bit

SDC8004.JPG

But, it could also be reasonably wide-open from a certain angle, it's not unobstructed and it is not a balcony with fresh air, but it is usually the lowest priced OV cabin that you can choose the specific cabin from what's available, or accept it as a GTY cabin. We sailed the GEM in 2012 and was upgraded from Deck 8 to a lower deck, Deck 4 FWD with an OV port hole.

SDC8003.JPG

You are steps away from the Blue Lagoon (or soon to be renamed/if not already - OSheehan's for comfort food) & easy access to the MDR's and can walk down quickly from the buffet upstairs.

Your cabin will be one of those seen here above the Promenade Deck (this is from the GEM - very similar) overlooking the lifeboats - and, if the ship is tendering at a port and/or they are running drills with the lifeboats lowered, you will have 100% unobstructed views for a few hours until the ship get ready to sail again.

SDC10524.JPG

Just remember that crew members dressed in white overalls do work outside, mainly during the day & while the ship is docked/tendered to do maintenance, inspections and cleaning/painting, etc. outside - keep your window curtain drawn & closed, unless you enjoyed being seen in ... At night, the "bright" lights outside are usually switched off, and if not, just keep the curtains closed shut to block out the light (duct tape and/or clips could help but we didn't need them)

We had an "obstructed" ocean view cabin on the Star. From looking at the blue prints of the floor, we could tell it was kinda in between 2 of the life boats and it was.

Instead of just seeing a life boat, we were actually able to see the ocean as well.

inside-window-L.jpg

Looking up at the room from the deck below:

outside-window-L.jpg

Hi, do you remember which stateroom number this was? We are looking at 8086 on the Star.

Hi, do you remember which stateroom number this was? We are looking at 8086 on the Star.

You might want to check this website: Cruiseliner Rooms - they have some decent photos from various cabins. They have some photos of cabin 8586 which is just on the other side of the ship.

See you on the Star in November...:)

My guess is your room will be exactly like ours. We were on the opposite side in 8580.

You can go HERE and see the rest of the room pictures. It starts at post #124. :)

You might want to check this website: Cruiseliner Rooms - they have some decent photos from various cabins. They have some photos of cabin 8586 which is just on the other side of the ship.

Thanks for the reminder. I have to get caught up on 3 cruises I forgot to upload the pictures for. :D

Thank you. Those pictures showed that I will be able to see more than just the lifeboat. Yes, see you in November. :)

You need to know, some of the obstructed view cabins on the Star have the narrow windows like the one in the top center below and not the standard picture windows. The pictures I have seen of our cabin shows it has two (2) windows that are about 1 foot wide by 3 feet tall.

SDC10524.JPG

Can anyone shed any light on which Obstructed View cabins have the least obstruction on the NCL Star. It appears that a few of the cabins are between the lifeboats ... are these cabins only partially obstructed? Thanks for any input .....

For both Norwegian Star and Norwegian Dawn, of the Deck 8 'obstructed view' staterooms, 8568 & 8068 have the least (and almost none) obstruction.

But one thing to take into consideration before jumping on this suggestion . . . there is a nice wide platform just outside these two cabins (thus the absence of a full size lifeboat) and it can occasionally be a gathering area for maintenance crew and officers.

CABIN 8568

Cabin%208568%20A-XL.jpg

Picture below is not very clear, due to sun coming in from window while the room is dark, but gives a pretty good representation of how much view is offered.

Cabin%208568%20D-L.jpg

And below is what I mentioned in my previous post about there occasionally being crew/staff outside the window on that wide platform. These two were having a strong 'discussion' (well, one was discussing and the other was having to take it and listen). It was a bit awkward being inside and the drapes open. What you see in the distance in another ship we're next to in port.

Crew%20Outside%20Window-L.jpg

I hope this helps in any small way. :)

Edited by DGP1111

One other factor to consider with partially obstructed or even fully obstructed views is when they do life boat maintenance and/or tendering the noise of raising and lowering can be troublesome.

Especially if they have not greased and oiled the davits or whatever they call the crane apparatus; but that maybe a small price to pay over an IC for a random glimpse of daylight.

Really sometimes it pays to select a cabin that has all the +s you want and absent the detractions - unless the price is so good you can overlook the -s !

You need to know, some of the obstructed view cabins on the Star have the narrow windows like the one in the top center below and not the standard picture windows. The pictures I have seen of our cabin shows it has two (2) windows that are about 1 foot wide by 3 feet tall.

SDC10524.JPG

Thank you. That is good to know.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, wvacations said:

anyone know if there are any Balcony Cabins with obstructed views on NCL Star?

There would be "NO" Balcony Cabins on either the STAR or the DAWN that are obstructed by lifeboats !

There maybe a Balcony with a HULL or other obstruction - that obstruction being very limited in scope.

Be careful when viewing these older pictures. NCL frosted some of the windows so the view isn't the same as before. We had one of those obstructed cabins and one worked was deliberately looking into our room! Good thing I was fully dressed. Sure surprised him!