How to avoid being obsessive about checking?

canadarocks

If you want a specific side, you will need to select a specific cabin and have it marked "will not accept upgrade" as an upgrade could be to either side.

A GTY gives you exactly the same price as if you booked a specific cabin in the same category of the GTY. Only if the cabin assigned is in a higher category would you have saved any money.

It is a bit confusing isn't it! I am not sure that I have done the right thing booking a particular balcony cabin. I can't see how they will give me a better price as it's not an inside that someone might like if they are only prepared to buy a really cheap cabin. Isn't it always the balcony cabins that are left over and they give people who have bought an inside at the brochure price and they want their cabin for someone at a bargain price?

I am not sure how it really works.

It is a bit confusing isn't it! I am not sure that I have done the right thing booking a particular balcony cabin. I can't see how they will give me a better price as it's not an inside that someone might like if they are only prepared to buy a really cheap cabin. Isn't it always the balcony cabins that are left over and they give people who have bought an inside at the brochure price and they want their cabin for someone at a bargain price?

I am not sure how it really works.

The Upgrade Fair's computer decides which cabins can be resold vs. selling unbooked cabins. Then upgrades are offered to those who booked the cabins that could be resold.

In the case of a GTY, the Upgrade Fair's computer decides if you should be placed into the category you booked or into a higher category. Ability to sell another GTY may figure into this.

Very few people actually pay the original brochure price on most cruise lines except possibly the most expensive cabins.

Edited by caribill

• 2 weeks later...

Another question for those familiar with the system! :)

My cruise is a year away but they've dropped the price $200 pp already. Do you wait for big drops or contact the TA on every little fall?

Is it a big deal for the TA to make changes?

Another question for those familiar with the system! :)

My cruise is a year away but they've dropped the price $200 pp already. Do you wait for big drops or contact the TA on every little fall?

Is it a big deal for the TA to make changes?

A $200 pp drop is a big deal and I personally would be calling my TA. Everytime there is a price drop, I have the TA check. Not sure, but don't feel it's a big deal for TA's to process a price change (ours had done it while on the phone with us and immediately sent new invoice)...after all it is part of their job. Just make sure the TA you are using does not charge to make a change....most do not but some do.

A $200 pp drop is a big deal and I personally would be calling my TA. Everytime there is a price drop, I have the TA check. Not sure, but don't feel it's a big deal for TA's to process a price change (ours had done it while on the phone with us and immediately sent new invoice)...after all it is part of their job. Just make sure the TA you are using does not charge to make a change....most do not but some do.

Thanks. No he doesn't charge to change. Also, I did warn him I'd be chasing price drops but I didn't know whether to hassle him on every drop. I'll go for it and ask him at the same time. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cruise Critic has a new (well, to me!) Price Drop checker that you can sign up for. Simply enter your email addy, dates & ship and it says it will notify you of changes in pricing for your cruise. Otherwise (without having read the whole thread)....accept that you paid what you felt was a fair price/good deal when you booked and stop checking the pricing. If you will enjoy your holiday less knowing that you could've saved $100 or so, book last minute and take the chance that you won't get the room you want or what have you...otherwise, I say life is short, book when you book, pay what you're happy with, and don't look back!