Formal night dress code on Celebrity

Open sea

Could someone who has taken a Celebrity cruise recently advise dress code on formal night? Did you note guys without coats - maybe just shirt and tie?

I do not like the sport coat part of formal night yet enjoy the MDR.

WOW this has been one of the more tame formal wear threads.:D So far.;)

If you go to the MDR on Formal night with just a shirt and tie you will be in the minority and on some ships, some of the time you might be turned away at the door. Some people in the MDR will notice that you don't have a jacket on. Hey it's a big room and most people are enjoying the company of their tablemates and not looking around the room. That being sad, if you look like Brad Pitt more people will notice you.:) Some of the people who actually notice you will care that you in violation of the rules. And some of those people will think ill of you and might even wish you harm (Post 17;)) And of those few people, some will actually say something to you. And by some I mean none!

That was a long and convoluted way of saying - you're a big boy, you know the rules, some people do care what others wear - you decide.

BTW Have a great cruise.:D

This is what I posted on another one of these dress code threads after our March cruise:

Prior to our March 8th cruise on the Reflection, I got involved in one of these passionate discussions on these boards around the dress code. I stated that I would be going to formal night in one of my professional dresses that I enhance with jewellery etc. I also said that my husband would be going in grey pants, a navy sport jacket, dress shirt and a tie. I was criticized by many on these boards and told to go to an alternate venue for dinner as professional dress is different than formal dress.

Prior to dinner on the first formal night while having a glass of wine at Cellar Masters, Rachel (who was helping to host the Captain's table), came over to me to tell me how lovely my dress looked ... my professional dress!!! The same thing happened the 2nd formal night ... the night I wore my simple black dress. As for my husband, his attire was more than appropriate. In fact, one of the senior officers talked to us after dinner and said that shirts and ties are no longer necessary. A sport jacket with a polo shirt or casual shirt underneath are appropriate for the formal night.

Thank goodness I did not listen to the negativity and criticism on here and instead I used my own good judgment which appears to be supported by Celebrity.

Not disagreeing with you or what you said. However, what really is 'Professional dress?' Is that a new term like Formal, Casual, Country Club Casual, Smart Casual, Elegant Casual, Business Casual, etc.? If I were a Dr. or Nurse would I wear my scrubs? If I were a Police Officer would I wear my uniform? Really confusing.

Stop and think of what a crew member will say to you face-to-face. Do you think they would insult anyone and say something Politically Incorrect?

Too many forms of dress classification. Why not 'Dress as You Want since you will only do so.

The OP asked for information from people who had recently cruised on a Celebrity ship. My response was simply what I observed. There was no judgment involved. The published dress codes on Celebrity's website and the reality of what is taking place on the ships I've sailed on in the last three years are not the same. Those cruises have been in Europe, Bermuda and the Caribbean on Reflection and twice on Summit. There was no enforcement of dress codes on formal nights in the MDR on any of these cruises.

My husband has always warn a tux on formal nights until our most recent cruise when he wore a sport jacket with a dress shirt and tie. Frankly, now that people are wearing every kind of attire all over the ship in the evenings, trying to maintain formal nights no longer makes sense.

...Dress up if you like. Be less dressy if that is you desire. I really do not care. Please do not stress over what to wear. Just keep it clean. A guy in an old smelly tuxedo may look nice. However, the smell of moth balls is not pleasant.

And may I add - I also really don't care what you wear, just please use some common table manners. Just off the 4/19 Reflection and I much preferred the sight of fellow passengers in jeans and hawaiian shirts (not formal night, the regular nights) compared to the fancier couple who talked with their mouths full, chewed with their mouths open and then - I'm not kidding - proceeded to floss with those floss pick things while waiting for dessert and coffee!

And may I add - I also really don't care what you wear, just please use some common table manners. Just off the 4/19 Reflection and I much preferred the sight of fellow passengers in jeans and hawaiian shirts (not formal night, the regular nights) compared to the fancier couple who talked with their mouths full, chewed with their mouths open and then - I'm not kidding - proceeded to floss with those floss pick things while waiting for dessert and coffee!

My but you're getting picky...Table manners, buffet manners. What's wrong with trying a cookie, not liking it and putting it back on the serving tray. What's wrong with eating french fries from the serving tray with your fingers while waiting for sandwiches. what's wrong with picking up each roll in the table for 8's bread basket with your fingers until you find a roll you like? Hey, they used floss picks, they didn't try to use their finger nails (or did they)? Be happy that the couple chewing with their mouth open didn't drop their dentures on the plate...now that would be bad.

BTW, a Hawaiian shirt and blue jeans are definitely within the smart casual dress code.

My but you're getting picky...Table manners, buffet manners. What's wrong with trying a cookie, not liking it and putting it back on the serving tray. What's wrong with eating french fries from the serving tray with your fingers while waiting for sandwiches. what's wrong with picking up each roll in the table for 8's bread basket with your fingers until you find a roll you like? Hey, they used floss picks, they didn't try to use their finger nails (or did they)? Be happy that the couple chewing with their mouth open didn't drop their dentures on the plate...now that would be bad.

BTW, a Hawaiian shirt and blue jeans are definitely within the smart casual dress code.

The dress code is published. Still do not understand why people ask. Those who decide not to follow the code will do as they please anyway.

No a vest would not be the norm. A sport jacket, blazer, business suit, tuxedo, or dinner jacket would be the norm

You could always dress up as a duck

Would these outfits be out of the norm of what people wear on formal night? My husband was planning on wearing a vest on formal nights, but maybe we will have to go shopping for a jacket if vests are unacceptable. [ATTACH]311800[/ATTACH]. [ATTACH]311801[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would also suggest a sports jacket-suit or tux. If a child, slacks and a vest would work- if you check the Celebrity Website they will give you more information.

This is always a heated topic as people give "opinions" so if you want specifics, the Celebrity website will give you them.

Enjoy your cruise!

The dress code is published. Still do not understand why people ask. Those who decide not to follow the code will do as they please anyway.

I think everyone realizes there is a published dress code on Celebrity's website. What Celebrity cruisers are experiencing once onboard, however, is a very different reality. On my last four cruises, twice on Summit, once each on Reflection and Silhouette, with itineraries in Europe, the Caribbean and Bermuda, I have seen all manner of dress in the MDR on formal nights, except for shorts and tank tops. There has been no enforcement of the published guidelines. I questioned my waiter about it on my most recent cruise in March, and he said there was no problem with men coming to the MDR on formal nights without jackets or ties. They are no longer giving jackets to men without them.

I strongly doubt that once the rules have been relaxed to the degree that they have been that they will ever revert back to the way things were in the past.

On Solstice in March and April they were still handing out jackets to men without them. One man standing in front of me declined to take the jacket and, with no rudeness, said, "oh well, we were thinking of trying the Bistro anyway, so I guess we'll go there tonight."

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on Eclipse in a weeks time. On every other cruise I've been on formal night means dinner jacket and black tie. If I turn up for Dinner in a dinner jacket am I going to stand out like a sore thumb?

DH always wears a dinner jacket and looks great. :D