Princess has become a 2nd rate cruise line!

Sue K

I think that it is very possibe to have a 'terrible' cruise (compared to others of like value) on any cruise line. Very much a function of that particular sailing, the crew, and more importantly the on board management. Fortunately, we have been on four different lines and never had a bad cruise.

Ah, the voice of reason. My sentiments exactly. I've been fortunate enough to have been on 12 cruises on 5 different lines and haven't had a bad experience yet. To add to iancal's post, I'm sure that we have all read radically different reviews of the same ship, even from the same sailing.

our first princess cruise was on the original star. and it was a nightmare. princess had just taken over sitmar. the two merged staffs did not get along at all. arguing in public. refusing to make up rooms (when we complained, and the hotel manager came up to our room, the steward out and out lied and said we messed up the room on purpose!). my wife went up to the pizza place and asked for a piece of pizza and the guy said "i'm on break", and refused to get up. it turned out that there was a huge labor dispute between the two factions. one groups was making considerably less money and they wanted all to know about it.

princess did not volunteer and credit or apologies. i will say this though: i wrote one letter to the president of princess on behalf of all 14 in our group, and each one of us received $1,000 towards a future cruise. we did go back when the regal was launched and had a terrific time.

Those who think Princess is second rate may have previously sailed Crystal or Seven Seas and paid twice as much. I have 17 princess cruises since 90 under my belt and have had few complaints. It is harder to get something back now when things go bad due to the low prices we are paying. I paid more for an inside in the early 90's than I pay for a balcony now. After reading most of the comments I know now why the web site is called Cruise Critic's.

Those who think Princess is second rate may have previously sailed Crystal or Seven Seas and paid twice as much. I have 17 princess cruises since 90 under my belt and have had few complaints. It is harder to get something back now when things go bad due to the low prices we are paying. I paid more for an inside in the early 90's than I pay for a balcony now. After reading most of the comments I know now why the web site is called Cruise Critic's.

I'm with you - 15 cruises since 1996 - I have seen little change, if any, since the Carnival takeover - for us they just keep getin better n better!!

Ron

OHNO~~~~~this loyal RCCL cruiser is jumping ships for a 2nd class cruise line(taking the Island next May)..............what was I thinking??

PS......hope you all can detect the sarcasism in my voice??;)

I have been reading this post for the past couple of days and would just like to add that I think the cruise industry has probably changed drastically over the last 15 or 20 years. When I was married in 1980 we went on a HAL cruise in September for our honeymoon. I still rememer the cost was $2,800 for a porthole cabin 25 years ago. My scheduled cruise on the Star will be about $600 less than that for a balcony cabin. Years ago it seems to me that cruising was affordable to only a small fragment of the population. How many people did you know back than that took their whole family on a cruise. It was for the most part a pretty expensive vacation for most people and geared mostly to couples. Over the years some of the lines (Carnival comes to mind) have now marketed themselves to families and the prices and some of the services you may have gotten years ago have been cut to make cruising more affordable. Although you may still get great service on HAL, my bet is that it isn't what it was in 1980. So although SueK definately had some legitimate problems, it seems to me that the services part was just a matter of her expectations. Maybe based on services of the past. This will be my first cruise on Princess and I am really looking forward to it. I have been on two Carnival cruise and found their service to be good. The only reason I switched was to try something different. I'll bet you can go on any other of these cruise lines posts on this board and there will be problems of the same magnitude. Thankfully, I have never had any problems with the three other cruises I have been on. I hope that trend continues.

Ok, I've been looking at this thread for a couple of days now. I don't know if SueK ever said which ship she was on, however the Grand is sailing the Greek Isles this summer. If that is the same ship, I have to agree with some of what she is saying. We sailed the Grand last year, western carribbean. Although I really like Princes and have sailed them several times, I have to admit, the Grand was a big disappointment for us. I agree with a previous poster, there needs to be a comment box on board. Perhaps they don't have one because it would be too easy for guest to tell them what's on their minds. Guest feedback goes a long way with most companies and it appears that this is a great opportunity for Princess. My boyfriend is usually easy going about things, but he was so disappointed with the treatment we received he said he would write a letter. I offered to, he said he would take care of it. Well he never got around to it. That's a shame, he really had some important feedback. Perhaps if more passengers take the time to write some of the suggestions will get noticed.

I will still sail on Princess, I'm not going to let one cruise be the deal maker.

I too, would be annoyed over the on board account billing snafus. However, in this age of computer technology, something like that could happen to anyone on any line at any time.....and probably does. I wouldn't see it as the "standard operating policy" of the line. As far as some of the other "shortfalls".....we've been cruising for over 30 years and yes there has been a HUGE change over the years, but as "chopper845" mentioned a couple of posts prior, we're paying about the same now as we paid for cruises 15-20 years ago. Certain things either have to be eliminated or a sur charge has to be applied to some options. or the only alternative would be "minimum rate for a 7 day cruise on any line, approx $2,500 pp." Personally, I would rather pay a lower price and say "no thank you" to some of the options.

Please take this comment graciously: Princess IS a second rate cruise line.

But there is nothing wrong with that. Princess is not the World of ResidenSea, Princess is not Crystal or Seabourn or Silversea.....it's not a privately chartered yacht which harbors in Monaco. And I doubt that Princess management would try to vault themselves into that category.

Opinions vary with everyone. Some people like an ice cream sundae with sauces and nuts and whipped cream; I ask why ruin good ice cream with all the extras? Some people drive a Maybach, some a Mercedes, and others a Mazda; each will tell you why they think their car is more than adequate. Some people pay to fly in first class; I'd rather buy a coach ticket and fly many more trips (but thank God for frequent flier miles to get me up front!).

The QE2 will always be my favorite ship. Cumulatively, I have spent over 2 years on board. For various reasons, she will always be my favorite. But others see her as a worn-out, second class ferry that needs to be scuttled.

I can't believe that I am supporting Princess so strongly, even though I have sailed with this line. But....aren't my arguments common sense, applicable to most any case where you have a choice?

If the OP is leaving Princess......goodbye and fair sailings elsewhere. It means that her cabins will be available for others.

......................But....aren't my arguments common sense, applicable to most any case where you have a choice?

If the OP is leaving Princess......goodbye and fair sailings elsewhere. It means that her cabins will be available for others.

Perfectly said!

The following were the poll results taken from the magazine that Celebrity uses in their ads. Please note that Princess is equal to Celebrity if you take food out of the formula, and they are not that far behind in that department.

Conte Naste Readers Poll of top 20 large ship lines

Crystal - 94.6

Radisson Seven Seas – 94.0

Celebrity - 85.8

Princess – 82.7

Top 12 large ships with over 1500 passengers in the same poll

Infinity – 90.3

Constellation – 90.0

Island Princess – 90.0

Mercury – 87.9

Summit – 87.7

Galaxy- 87.1

Golden Princess- 86.8

Coral Princess- 86.5

Millennium- 86.4

Oosterdam- 85.7

Century- 85.3

Dawn Princess- 85.1

The sheer number of complaints I read all over these boards, day after day, about so many things astounds me. My father, a wise old guy who is now 90 years old, who lived through the depression, told me something long ago. He said that one should not have "champagne tastes with beer money." When I was a young "wise guy", I didn't really understand what he meant. Now that I am 44, I think I do, and I think it applies to many of the complaints I read on the boards.

Like others have said, Princess is not Radisson. It's not Crystal. It's not a private yacht. It's a cruise line with mass appeal serving a family market, moreso now these days now that the megaships have entered the picture. Why do so many expect the World for so little money?

When you look at what you get for the money, I think it's a superlative value. Even in a mini-suite, for a one week cruise, look at what you get. For this last 7 day Western Caribbean cruise, we got a beautiful mini-suite, all of our meals, all of our entertainment, got to leave the country and travel to a beautiful private island, to Jamaica, to Grand Cayman and to Mexico, all for around $4,500 for all three of us. I don't know about you, but when I go on vacation, I like to stay in nice places that generally charge around $250 a night. I think that most would agree that a mini-suite on a ship like the CB is at least equivalent to a nice room at an upscale hotel. Then, factor in breakfast, lunch and dinner and countless snacks daily for the entire family. That's got to be about around $150-200 per day if you eat in decent restaurants and not McDonald's. Then, factor in the airfares for three of us flying from the US to Jamaica, from Jamaica to Grand Cayman, from Grand Cayman to Cozumel and then back to the US. Then, factor in all of the activities and the entertainment on board that's included. And on and on and on.

I think that Princess gives excellent value for the money. They must be doing something right since just about every sailing is sold out. So what if I have to pay for my cokes? So what if the ice cream isn't free at Scoops? So what if the bacon isn't quite as crispy as I personally like it? Would you rather be at work or on a beautiful ship on the ocean with your family, away from that annoying cell phone and all of the other constant annoyances?

I think many of us tend not to see the forest for the trees. We concentrate on the small stuff instead of the big picture. As they say, don't sweat the small stuff. Go with the right attitude, determined to have a good time, and you will. Seize the opportunity to have fun, whenever and wherever it presents itself. Thank God we're alive and in good enough health to wait on those lines we encounter. How many others far less fortunate would give anything to have such "problems?"

I'll put away the soap box now.

Monk888 - Keep your soapbox handy - there are a lot of naysayers on this board that can put up a complaint about anything - I'm with you - Princess is a great experience for a modest price - It's where "i" belong!

Ron

Monk888. That soapbox of yours should be gold-plated. You have summed up in a couple of paragraphs what I have been feeling but unable to convey as eloquently. I guess the bottom line is people go out looking for faults instead of taking things at face value and enjoying the good parts.

My dear father used to say " some people are not happy about there own skin and would find fault with being hung with a new rope."

Just posted today is the "Captains Circle" for frequest travellers.

"Beginning September 2005, our Suite and Mini-Suite passengers will enjoy added amenities. From sumptuous luxury mattresses, linens and amenities to in-suite entertainment, passengers can expect to be pampered every step of the way."

YOU SEE PRINCESS HAS LISTENED TO THE SHORTCOMINGS AS REPORTED IN THESE PAGES. MANY OF THESE UPGRADES ARE THE CAUSE OF MANY OF THE COMPLAINTS BY SOPHISTICATED TRAVELLERS.

NO IT IS NOT A 5* LINE BUT NOW OFFERS BETTER VALUE THAN BEFORE.

Sorry folks I know it may not be so popular but I’ve got to go with Sue here. This was our first Princess Cruise and based on everything I had read here I was more than a bit disappointed. We have previously sailed on RCCL & Celebrity. I would also like to preface this post with YES we will be sailing Princess again, while we were disappointed in several areas, it was not enough to make us give up on Princess. The staff was delightful, if not overworked, the ship lovely and the ports wonderful....

HOWEVER there where some VERY annoying mix-ups. We just returned from the July 17 sailing of the Regal to Alaska. I am an Insulin Diabetic, our waiter kept trying to push sugary deserts on me and by the third night was teasing and joking about my taste for sugar free asking ”What, are you diabetic?”, he had not been told even though it was clearly identified on my information. The first 3 days there were no sugar-free deserts available at lunch in the buffet in spite on the fact that I talked to Princess on the phone prior to the cruise and was assured the sugar-free options would ALWAYS be available. We were not impress with the quality of the food, it was far below that of other cruises we have been on in taste and variety.

Dinner orders at out table in the main dinning room (a table for 6) were often mixed up, sometimes items not showing up at all during dinner. Service in the dining room was very slow. No one EVER offered to help us carry a tray in the buffet, that may be a Princess standard, I’ve just gotten spoiled by Celebrity....and yes I can live without it.

I had prearranged both by phone and followed up per Princess instructions by fax, for bathrobes and a feather pillow yet neither of those showed up in our stateroom.

Anne

My husband and I and another couple just returned yesterday from a cruise and land tour with Princess. We sailed on July 20th on the Coral to Alaska and then went on a land tour with Princess to Denali and Fairbanks. We had cruised twice before with Princess and returned because we had a wonderful time. I have to agree that cruising has changed over the past 25 years but I think more people can now afford it. No cruise or land vacation is ever perfect. We travel quite often and try to be flexible when things aren't perfect. In the past we cruised on Star and Grand but I think Coral is my favorite. There are less passengers and the Alaska cruise seemed more laid back then cruises in the Caribbean. To me Princess still offers a nice, relaxing, and entertaining vacation. We will be returning for another cruise with this company.

I have been cruising since 1977, have been on over 35 cruises, on most lines except Crystal, Radisson, Seabourne, etc. We were on the old Sun Princess in 1982 and the Pacific Princess (Loveboat) in 1988. I remember the pasta being served tableside and was disappointed that they didn't have it on the Royal in 1999. We used to get family style vegetable serving also.

I have never met a cruise I didn't like. This includes one on the SS Norway that didn't even get to leave port. They wined and dined us, gave us free drinks and sightseeing for 2 or 3 days until they finally decided the ship couldn't sail. Then we got a free cruise on the new Norwegian Sun later that year.

We were just on the Final Voyage of the Royal Princess in May. It was wonderful. We were supposed to get a free champaign flute, we each got 2, could have had more but didn't want to carry them home. As for the free internet (when it was up), at first they took my card, but never put it on the bill. Later I just flashed it at them, didn't even hand it over.

Sorry SueK had a bad cruise. I have heard other people we met at the CruiseCritic party on RCI say that they would never sail on Princess again. Also heard a horror story from someone who missed the flight to the ship last winter and got no help from Princess at all. But, I am booked on the Sun for next Jan. hoping for the best. Wishing all of you the best as well.

I wouldn't know the difference between a "second rate" or "first rate" cruise if it slapped me in the face. Reason being is i have yet to sail on a cruise (am honeymooning on the sun princess in sept.)

Just reading how passionate some of the more seasoned cruisers says a lot to me. Also the number of people who fall into this category. If a cruise line was really that bad, i dont think they would even exist anymore. When i see individuals that i dont even know defend the slightest insult to their cruise line/ship of CHOICE, i almost totally disregard the negative comment/s made. It makes me feel like my fiance and i made a good choice and that we will have a great time.

A few thoughts here.........

I agree with the sentiments that Princess is an excellent product for the price paid and to expect a SilverSea experience at the Princess price is unrealistic. And I agree that things like table-side caesar salad are getting to be more a thing of the past with prices becoming more and more competitive, but I won't let that color my positive views. I found the food on Princess to be excellent and the service warm and gracious.

That said, on our Princess cruise on the Grand last year, we had a wonderful time and overall thought it was a great experience. However, the Purser's desk was awful and the people there who were supposed to be problem solvers knew almost nothing. They were simply untrained to do their jobs, they often didn't know the company's policies on basic things and Princess' computers make too many mistakes. We too had issues with incorrect charges and had to wait on line for a long time, more than four times on our cruise, to correct problems. The purser's were really just untrained personnel who's job function it seemed, was to get you away from the desk as quickly as possible by telling you anything that came to mind at the moment. We saw this happen to many people, which is why the lines were always so long - people were coming back to fix things that were supposed to have been handled already but weren't. This shouldn't happen no matter what price catagory the cruiseline is.

Lastly, I have to say, many of you were really hard on the OP for her lack of follow-up. Her original post was on 8/1 at 10:00AM and her second post was on 8/1 at 11:23, making it 1 hour and 23 minutes between her first and second posts. Whether you agree with her opinion or not, calling her a hit and run poster who's only here to cause trouble, seems a bit harsh because she didn't reply as quickly as you think she should have.

Can you tell me the timeline that you all feel is the appropriate lag between posts before someone is accused of being a post-and-run?

I guess the mess with the airlines and "missing the boat" would sour anyone and then it was all downhill from there on so the no flaming baked alaska night plus no tableside pasta preparation and the $100 anniversary too late credit would completely ruin a cruise.

Archived