Zuiderdam Live May 6-17 B2B Coastal and Inside Passage

Echo Chuz Chic's comments, especially about the $'s.

I disembarked May 6, and can testify to the slow wifi.

Glad you were able to board so quickly. They were indeed doing a deep clean. It's a good sign if the NL was self serve, as it wasn't that way when we were waiting in there to disembark.

You probably know by now the PG manager, Amet, left the ship in PV to go be with his wife as she is about to deliver their baby. Dian, one of the waiters, is serving as the PG manager

We found the MDR food to be very good, a couple of misses out of 18 days wasn't too bad. If you decide to take any dinners there, ask for Osman, the open DRM. Tell him Alan and Tim told him to take care of you. :D

Have a great cruise, and keep up the reports if you can stand the slow wifi!

Ps - wanted to add that you are sailing with one of the most friendly and outgoing captains, Christopher Turner. Hope you were able to meet him at the suite passengers reception.

That's too bad about the Wi-Fi. Last year, we were on the same cruise on the Zuiderdam in May and MTN had just installed new equipment to utilize their seven terrestrial (ground) stations in Alaska.

I had to download two sections of a website, make corrections and upload the changes. I also had to upload new sections of two other websites. When I did a speed test, the DL measured 2.814 Mbps. That was about 30 X faster than on the Alaskan cruise the prior year.

However, we were on the B2B last year as Frank is this year, and the speed was terrible from San Diego to Vancouver. There must have been a ground station near Prince Rupert as that is when the signal really increased. Hopefully, they will still be using that equipment when we get near Prince Rupert Sunday.

The Zuiderdam was the first HAL ship to get this retrofit, and as I posted the link in March, the contract for this service was signed in January of this year.

PR Newswire article: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation-and-mtn-sign-agreement-for-internet-services-and-extend-broadcast-services-agreement-241142081.html

Edited by kjw869

Toilet flushes first press!

A/C fine- some place actually too cold.

Still in Code Red- NL has a PG server serving food. Concierge said Captain will announce when Red is lifted- hopefully soon!!!

So far 100% perfection!!!!!

We have been up in the Lido this morning watching the wave pool :D

I mentioned in another thread that this is our first time using a PCC at HAL.

So far not very impressed (actually totally unimpressed) . I emailed her 2 months ago to let her know that embarkation day was Loren's birthday- got no reply. three days before we left she called to see if we had any questions- again told her about the birthday. She acted surprised and put in a special request.

Nothing on board- nobody knew. We passed several cabins with balloons and happy birthday signs from the Concierge. I told the server in PG about it and they brought a small cake at dinner.

We had nothing in our cabin from PCC when we boarded- not even a thank you card. We paid full rack rate for SB on B2B cruises. I should have wondered when she said that we needed to watch prices and let her know if they drop.

I'm thinking I want to find out who is in charge of PCC's and let then know we will be going back to a TA. At least we will see an OBC and probably a bottle wine.

Toilet flushes first press!

A/C fine- some place actually too cold.

Still in Code Red- NL has a PG server serving food. Concierge said Captain will announce when Red is lifted- hopefully soon!!!

So far 100% perfection!!!!!

Thanks for the update. Glad to know toilet flushes with no problem. :D

Will be interested to hear about your updates on food in Lido and MDR. Thanks!

I'm thinking I want to find out who is in charge of PCC's and let then know we will be going back to a TA. At least we will see an OBC and probably a bottle wine.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but, now you know. A good TA is worth her weight in gold. We have booked about thirty cruises with the same agent with an online TA, and she has always been a step ahead of us.

Lido has been fine- no self anything due to Code Red or Yellow or whatever it is (no hot tubs, no therapy pool). We'll be eating in MDR on Friday so will update then- most nights we are booked in PG

Again Dive In is great- what an improvement!

We need to talk :D

We will Frank. There are many on this forum who now have booked multiple times with our TA. Not only do we get a great discounts and wonderful service, but we know which tables we will be seated on Saturday night. We request our table numbers months in advance and they are always waiting for us.

By the way, I got the name of the TA and agency from a cruise line employee! I booked with a PCC once and I'll never make that mistake again. We've saved over $7,500 in the three years by not booking directly.

We'll see you soon.

Ken

Edited by kjw869

So far not very impressed (actually totally unimpressed) . I emailed her 2 months ago to let her know that embarkation day was Loren's birthday- got no reply. three days before we left she called to see if we had any questions- again told her about the birthday. She acted surprised and put in a special request.

Nothing on board- nobody knew. We passed several cabins with balloons and happy birthday signs from the Concierge. I told the server in PG about it and they brought a small cake at dinner.

Sorry the ship hasn't come through for you.

What about what you ordered pre-cruise for Loren's birthday.

Did you receive that ?

I've found that HAL's online booking for "Indulgences" has always been delivered as ordered. I hope the same for you !

Sorry the ship hasn't come through for you.

What about what you ordered pre-cruise for Loren's birthday.

Did you receive that ?

I've found that HAL's online booking for "Indulgences" has always been delivered as ordered. I hope the same for you !

The ship has been great- everything we ordered in advance was perfect -some took a little longer than normal due to code red- to be expected. Staff on the ship is GREAT- can't say good enough things about them!

Seems the problem is and was in the past communication between Seattle and the ship. Seems that Seattle tends to drop the ball.

Another great dinner in PG last night. We've heard mixed reviews on MDR- kind of feels like Canal people are very happy- Coastal people not so happy.

Met Roz in NL this morning and had a great chat! Hoping to meet more CC folks before they disembark.

Still in whatever Code we are in. My guess is they won't lift it until Vancouver.

New FCD info:

Got the FCD form last night- quite a few changes.

FCD is now $100 pp for 3 to 21 days, $300 pp for 22-50 days, and $1000 pp for 51 and longer.

OBC max (Suites) is now:

$50 pp for 3 to 10 days

$100 pp for 11-21 days

$150 pp for 22-50 days

$200 pp for 51 plus days

Tried to post last night but Internet kept crashing

Another great dinner in PG last night. We've heard mixed reviews on MDR- kind of feels like Canal people are very happy- Coastal people not so happy.

Met Roz in NL this morning and had a great chat! Hoping to meet more CC folks before they disembark.

Still in whatever Code we are in. My guess is they won't lift it until Vancouver.

New FCD info:

FCD is now $100 pp for 3 to 21 days, $300 pp for 22-50 days, and $1000 pp for 51 and longer.

OBC max (Suites) is now:

$50 pp for 3 to 10 days

$100 pp for 11-21 days

$150 pp for 22-50 days

$200 pp for 51 plus days

Maybe we will be enticed to do some FCD's.

After losing in February $1000 FCD deposits on a 21 day cruise when we had to cancel due to NO fights for 3 1/2 days due to major snow storms that shut down the airports, we decided that we will no longer buy them.

Thank you for the information.

Had a great visit with Startwin today! I commented it was like I had known her for a long time thanks to CC. It is a great and unique group of people that I am thrilled to be a part of.. We just missed Sapper1 at the elevator- looking forward to meeting face to face!

Dinner in PG- Lamb Chops were wonderful. PG Manage Dyan is the best- everyone we've spoken to is very impressed with her service and great personality. Indonesian lunch today in PG was fun- waiter was a real character!

Just remembered something I keep meaning to mention. In the NS there is a plug in the bathroom on one medicine cabinet. MAKE SURE it is set to 120 volts. The blow driers in the rooms are 220 so the plug was set to that. I almost plugged in a razor. I'm afraid that it would have taken off like a lawn mower and I would have ended up looking like a Poodle. So, double check before plugging in :).

Loren told the Captain tonight that he was upset because the rain today had gotten our veranda wet and that was unacceptable. Captain said he'd be right up to dry it :D. Captain is one of the best!

Edited by frankc98376

Had a great visit with Startwin today! I commented it was like I had known her for a long time thanks to CC. It is a great and unique group of people that I am thrilled to be a part of.. We just missed Sapper1 at the elevator- looking forward to meeting face to face!

Dinner in PG- Lamb Chops were wonderful. PG Manage Dyan is the best- everyone we've spoken to is very impressed with her service and great personality. Indonesian lunch today in PG was fun- waiter was a real character!

Just remembered something I keep meaning to mention. In the NS there is a plug in the bathroom on one medicine cabinet. MAKE SURE it is set to 120 volts. The blow driers in the rooms are 220 so the plug was set to that. I almost plugged in a razor. I'm afraid that it would have taken off like a lawn mower and I would have ended up looking like a Poodle. So, double check before plugging in :).

Loren told the Captain tonight that he was upset because the rain today had gotten our veranda wet and that was unacceptable. Captain said he'd be right up to dry it :D. Captain is one of the best!

Curious as to how you had a Suite Indonesian lunch on a 4 day cruise?

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Curious as to how you had a Suite Indonesian lunch on a 4 day cruise?

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

We thought it was because we on B2B (got a letter on board that it is now a Collectors Cruise) but it was all of the suite guests that embarked in San Diego. Same as the suite party night Tuesday night.

I think they were just trying to find stuff to offer and take minds off of the Code Red. Other than no salt and pepper and no hydro pool they have been taking great care of us. More that the usual hand sanitizer people around.

Had a bit of excitement at 7 am this morning. Ship came to abrupt stop and Captain announced that they had spotted an overturned boat. They spun the ship around and approached it- appeared it had been there for some time- Coast Guard was called and we were on our way. I'm wondering if it may ba another from Japan.

Lido has been fine- no self anything due to Code Red. We'll be eating in MDR on Friday so will update then- most nights we are booked in PG

Again Dive In is great- what an improvement!

Please elaborate on the Dive In. Are they using the little pagers and has the menu been upgraded as on the other roll-outs?

thanks in advance for your response.

New FCD info:

OBC max (Suites) is now:

$50 pp for 3 to 10 days

$100 pp for 11-21 days

$150 pp for 22-50 days

$200 pp for 51 plus days

that is great info - sounds like the FCD program has improved over the last change - thanks:D

Glad you met startwin - I am looking forward to it next year. Hope you do meet sapper1 - she and her DH are really wonderful people (IMO):D