Summit or Silhouette?

Algebralovr

I'm looking at Feb 2016 cruises and we've decided we're going to do two 7-night ones so that some friends can join us for part. We've been on 4 of the 5 S-class ships, and DH is thinking he'd like to sail on the 5th one, thus we are considering the Silhouette. They are doing alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises. We are interested in going back to St. Kitts, enjoy the beach in St. Maarten, and have never been to two of the western ports.

We've never been on a M-Class, though, and the alternating 7-night runs on the Summit sound interesting, plus we will enjoy not having to take a chance on slightly cooler weather in and out of Florida.

We definitely enjoy all the S-Class ships, including Reflection (which we are going back to). We also enjoy the lazy sea days. So we are trying to decide if we will enjoy the relative lack of sea days out of San Juan, plus we wonder if we'll miss any features on the S-Class ships if we sail on the slightly smaller ship.

We are also concerned about smoke. I am highly sensitive to smoke, and know where to avoid on the S-Class ships. Where would some of you recommend booking if we want a C2 or C1 (depending on price) on the Summit? I know that if I'm on an S-Class, I want an even numbered room to avoid being above the smoking area. How about on an M-Class?

Thoughts?

We faced the same choice for our upcoming cruise.

We love S class and have not been on M class and have read numerous reviews loving the Summit and many reviews saying pick S over M if it is available.

We went with the Summit because at the time I got a significantly better rate on that ship for AQ and S1. We were able to get the S1 by the penthouse and an AQ on the stern. We look forward to more time in San Juan and thought the turn around day would be more unique there. They have a T pool that I missed when I switched to Celebrity so I can enjoy a pool unavailable on S class as well.

We also love sea days and were unsure of the port intense cruise, but with weather, and the ability to just stay on the ship I think we can work it out. Lol

Best of luck with your choice.

Edited by hulamoon

Cruise stitch has a good point. The CC and AQ will be the same size as S class. If you go with regular balcony they have the extra large balconies called the sweet sixteen. And there are larger OV's I noticed from the reviews posted on this board.

I have been on both ships...and many others too. Silhouette is bigger and newer. It has lots of glitz. It has the open buffet area and a few venues like the Lawn Club which are not on the Summit. It has 2 banks of elevators. Lots of walking needed to get anywhere. Cabins are beautiful, bathrooms are large, shower has glass doors. Summit smaller, in good condition, has better storage in the cabins,bathrooms is large, shower has a curtain and clothesline, lines in the buffet area, has a indoor pool with water jets, and 3 banks of elevators. Both ships have great food, attentive staff, and provide anice cruise. On Summit, concierge cabins are 190 sq. ft, verandas have 170 sq. ft. On Silhouette, concierge and verandas are both 190 sq. ft. You will enjoy either cruise. The deciding feature for me would be the ports that they visit, the dates of the cruises, the airfare arrangements, and the need for warm weather. I love warm weather in the winter. Sailing out of San Juan, you will be warm during the entire cruise. Sailing out of Florida in the winter, you may be cool on the days at sea until you get down to the islands. I have done both. I prefer not to do b2b. The change over day is not good. Most of the ship services are closed. If you have 2 weeks to sail, think about the Eclipse. It sails out of Miami in winter 2015. I will be on it. I did that cruise last January. Aside from the cooler weather for a day, it was fabulous. If I only had one week, I would pick the Summit.