BlackSeaGuy

iPAD App for offline maps and GPS positioning

Hello cruisers,

I wonder if there is an iPad app that would show me my position on the map while the ship is not in a port without an internet connections. I know that GPS would always work, but the maps will not load without an internet connection. So I would like to load maps in advance, and not just the port/city maps, but like "the ocean" maps.

Does anyone know such an app?

Thank you for your suggestions!

I think Google maps has an app for that. Keep in mind that your Ipad uses the internet for GPS. They don't usually have built in GPS receivers. Edited by Kamloops50

I have taken my Delorme GPS with me on three cruises..I put the antenna out on the balcony and my netbook on the table inside the door.. Maps are preloaded before the cruise..
It's neat to see where on earth you are at anytime and how fast the ship is going, so far 23 knots is the fastest we've been obtained..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='Kamloops50']I think Google maps has an app for that. Keep in mind that your Ipad uses the internet for GPS. They don't usually have built in GPS receivers.[/QUOTE]

There are two different iPad models. The ones with Cellular also have the GPS chip in them. The WiFi only models do not have GPS.

[quote name='Dcr_inc']I have taken my Delorme GPS with me on three cruises..I put the antenna out on the balcony and my netbook on the table inside the door.. Maps are preloaded before the cruise..
It's neat to see where on earth you are at anytime and how fast the ship is going, so far 23 knots is the fastest we've been obtained..

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]

I have done the same with a hand held Garmin.

[quote name='Dcr_inc']I have taken my Delorme GPS with me on three cruises..I put the antenna out on the balcony and my netbook on the table inside the door.. Maps are preloaded before the cruise..

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote]

So I have an iPad with cellular and it looks like it has a GPS chip in it and would work w/o needing the internet. What other app or info would I need to see where we are when cruising?

I can't imagine I could open up Google maps in airplane mode and it would work. Would I need more hardware?

[quote name='txflood33']So I have an iPad with cellular and it looks like it has a GPS chip in it and would work w/o needing the internet. What other app or info would I need to see where we are when cruising?

I can't imagine I could open up Google maps in airplane mode and it would work. Would I need more hardware?[/QUOTE]

Many cellphone GPS units use cell towers for triangulating there location.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app Edited by Kamloops50

[quote name='txflood33']

I can't imagine I could open up Google maps in airplane mode and it would work. Would I need more hardware?[/QUOTE]

As long as you mark the map(s) you want to keep with you for offline use, then it should work fine. Google maps does not need an Internet connection as long as the maps have been previously downloaded and marked for offline use. It's very easy.

You can also download marine charts if you want to see details (tides, depths, bottom contours, time to destination, etc.). I use the Navionics charts on my Android tablet. I think they're also available on iPad, but if not, there should be many other marine chart apps. Edited by ehfl

I've used the iPad app ForeverMap offline to track my progress on roads over the Bolivian Altiplano and the open ocean around New Zealand, Tasmania, and Australia. Not braggin'—just want to show how well it works. Downloadable maps are available; connects to Trip Advisor; builds routes; and much more. Fairly easy to use. Hooghly recommended.

[quote name='txflood33']So I have an iPad with cellular and it looks like it has a GPS chip in it and would work w/o needing the internet. What other app or info would I need to see where we are when cruising?

I can't imagine I could open up Google maps in airplane mode and it would work. Would I need more hardware?[/QUOTE]I use SEAiq Free It has full USA Charts & SEAiq open and download free World charts from [url]http://map.openseamap.org/[/url]
[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/jtutak/dc645bf96df3e33016e6c193144a7045_zpsf4d7bd2c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/jtutak/552366ee0d68ff733714ee8490ec72d0_zpse4415ef9.jpg[/IMG] Edited by FLACRUISER99

Pocket Earth App works with an IPad that has the ability to use a SIMcard. These IPads have an onboard GPS that can be used without inputing a SIM card. You can download open source maps and use them at sea to find your position. They can also be used to find your location in ports as well as to locate churches, museums, shops, bathrooms, etc in cities. You can also set up tracking so you know where you have been. Very useful App. If you have a phone or IPad with an onboard gps unit. It does not need data once the maps are downloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='Kamloops50']Many cellphone GPS units use cell towers for triangulating there location.[/quote]

More correctly, they use cell tower triangulation WITH GPS to determine location.

Cell tower triangulation helps get a position faster (it takes time for GPS to lock on, especially if since the last time it has moved a good bit or it has been a while) and to get a position where the GPS sats may not be visible to the unit (downtown with high buildings).

Google maps allows you to download map areas (cities) to navigate without having an internet connection.

I have found though, that walking directions tend to not be available without internet.

[quote name='SRF']More correctly, they use cell tower triangulation WITH GPS to determine location.

Cell tower triangulation helps get a position faster (it takes time for GPS to lock on, especially if since the last time it has moved a good bit or it has been a while) and to get a position where the GPS sats may not be visible to the unit (downtown with high buildings).[/QUOTE]

You can use the GPS without cel data. The cel data can be turned off (therefor not incurring cel data charges while using the GPS function while travelling) while using the GPS to navigate. It does locate the satellites faster using cel data.

Pocket Earth (mentioned above) works without cel data turned on but you must use wifi to set up routes. Once the route is set up no data is required for navigation. Tracking also does not use data, just the GPS function.

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

[quote name='Kamloops50']Where do you find the app and maps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]

If you are asking about Pocket Earth, you can get the App on the Apple App Store. I managed to get the Pro version for free and then purchased the Topo maps. But you can purchase the non Pro version and then buy the topo and other maps after. If you purchase the Pro version, you get access to the maps (Open Source Maps) and it you want Topo maps for hiking, etc. You can purchase them for the whole world for $6.99.

You can just download the areas of the world you want for use offline. The maps do take quite a bit of memory but there is a wealth of information in them (museums, churches, banks, shopping, gas, beaches, visitors centres, trails, attractions, parks, etc) which you can then set as favourites to find later when onshore. I've used them for navigating in cities and when hiking.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Kamloops50']Many cellphone GPS units use cell towers for triangulating there location.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app[/quote]

In the middle of the ocean??? The only cell phone tower in the middle of the ocean is the one on the ship and that is moving w you. Also, I would be that the cell p[hone location method uses triangulation so this is yet another reason why cell phone based location finding will not work.

DON

[quote name='donaldsc']In the middle of the ocean??? The only cell phone tower in the middle of the ocean is the one on the ship and that is moving w you. Also, I would be that the cell p[hone location method uses triangulation so this is yet another reason why cell phone based location finding will not work.

DON[/QUOTE]

Phone GPS will work without using cel phone towers to triangulate. The GPS uses satellites. It also works without Wifi or cel data. Towers, WIfi and cel data speed up the location but are not necessary in order to use a phone or SIM card enabled IPad for location with the phone or IPad GPS.

It is a standalone GPS in the phone and is usable without the support of cel towers, Wifi or cel data. I have used both my phone and SIM enabled IPad at sea and in cities while cruising with the phone in airplane mode, so no cel data or Wifi used.

I have a friend who uses his IPad to navigate while flying his own, small plane. He uses it without any cel data.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

[quote name='Cruise Starter']Phone GPS will work without using cel phone towers to triangulate. The GPS uses satellites. It also works without Wifi or cel data. Towers, WIfi and cel data speed up the location but are not necessary in order to use a phone or SIM card enabled IPad for location with the phone or IPad GPS.

It is a standalone GPS in the phone and is usable without the support of cel towers, Wifi or cel data. I have used both my phone and SIM enabled IPad at sea and in cities while cruising with the phone in airplane mode, so no cel data or Wifi used.

I have a friend who uses his IPad to navigate while flying his own, small plane. He uses it without any cel data.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

Sent from my iPad using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452"]Forums[/URL][/quote]

You are completely correct. However, Kamloops said in his post that cell phones also use cell tower triangulation. I was simply pointing out the error of that statement.

DON

[quote name='donaldsc']You are completely correct. However, Kamloops said in his post that cell phones also use cell tower triangulation. I was simply pointing out the error of that statement.

DON[/quote]

In enhanced 911 system , GPS from the phone is the primary source of location. If the phone doesn't have GPS or turned off , they use triangulation from cell towers . Not all mobile devices have built in GPS. I have a pad and cellphone that don't have built in GPS.
Yes all phones are tracked when in use , more big government in place.
Can someone post a link to open source maps for map apps.

[quote name='Kamloops50']In enhanced 911 system , GPS from the phone is the primary source of location. If the phone doesn't have GPS or turned off , they use triangulation from cell towers . Not all mobile devices have built in GPS. I have a pad and cellphone that don't have built in GPS.

Yes all phones are tracked when in use , more big government in place.

Can someone post a link to open source maps for map apps.[/QUOTE]

The Pocket Earth IOS App uses Open Street Maps as it's source of mapping data. The App downloads the maps of your choice automatically meaning you do not have to go to the website yourself.

Below is their webpage link. I am not sure how you would use it without an App or GPS device of some sort.

[url]https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=2/69.5/-117.1[/url]

Is this what you were asking for?

[quote name='Kamloops50']Many cellphone GPS units use cell towers for triangulating there location.
[/quote]

Two different systems.

GPS if it can "see" enough satellites. Which can be a problem in cities with tall buildings.

Cell tower triangulation when the GPS is not working.

You can normally tell in Google maps by the size of the circle of uncertainty.

[quote name='SRF']Two different systems.

GPS if it can "see" enough satellites. Which can be a problem in cities with tall buildings.

Cell tower triangulation when the GPS is not working.

You can normally tell in Google maps by the size of the circle of uncertainty.[/quote]

Many cellphone GPS units use cell towers for triangulating there location. They use triangulation to speed up a GPS Fix by telling the device where to look for the satellites.