• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

SEA LICE?

Nancy_Hawks

I was wondering if there is something called "Sea Lice" in the Caribbean? When we were on a Mexican Riveria cruise last year, my cousin and her friend were attacked by some of it. It was apparently quite painful, because it is actually very tiny jellyfish.

And if there is sea lice in the Caribbean, does anyone know the name of the sea lice repellant stuff?

Thanks!

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - CARRIBEAN

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;08;22;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Vision of the Seas 9/19/03-Alaska

Vision of the Seas 5/11/03- Mexican Riviera

• 2 weeks later...

There are "Sea Lice" in the Caribbean and in every ocean. They are baby jellyfish but they do not attack. They get caught in tight fitting areas of bathing suits and when we leave the water and begin drying off, they are threatened and sting to protect themselves. Also if you shower off with fresh water, they sting. Fresh water is deadly to them so they fight and stinging is their only weapon. Loose fitting suits and salt water showers will stop them from stinging but neither of those is usually an option.

Don't know about a repellant, but cortisone creams work on the itch. Also antihistamine creams will give relief.

Dan

Never heard of these creatures, but in Canada, who would??

Does this SeaSafe stuff work on regular jellyyfish you find in the Caribbean too??

My daughters are of to Cuba in a couple of weeks and think I should order some for them

Any particular on-line drugstore??

Thanks.

I bought mine through lifestylesdirect.com

I did some homework and found it to be the cheapest through them. Amazon was actually cheaper, but the S&H made it more. I paid $9.95 and $5.95 S/H. It's a small bottle though, so I had to re-order some more, since there are 4 of us.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In 12+ vacations on the island, whether swimming or scuba diving, during the months of January, March, June, August or September, we have never encountered jellyfish, sea lice or other "sea creatures".

Bug spray may be a good idea if the island has been particularly rainy...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

also watch our for a golden yellow coral with white tips. it is called fire coral. at particular times of year it releases tiny things and they burn. i saw the coral in bahamas but felt it in cozumel. it feels like you are swimming thru prickley needles, then when i got out of water i had a little red rash where the water hit my shoulders and forehead while snorkeling.

Archived