weird incident in the explorer of the seas

:eek: Ha! Ha! Ha! I hate to laugh, but this is the best thread on the whole site. I was horrified when I read the original post, but then immediately, I thought to myself.. Self--a 45 degree angle is pretty severe--can't really be so. Then the more I read, the more outlandish the comments got.

Come to find out, love2cruise4ever was only using her 45 degree refernece to make a point that the ship was listing! Meanwhile a bunch of other people start telling their stories and it seems that some of the degree of listing/tilting was also exagerated.

On my first cruise we had some major rocking and rolling as well---But, we were traveling through stormy seas, so everyone knew what was going on. As everyone walked the halls, we shuffled all he way to the right, then all the way to the left! It was comical.

I think you need to remember that you are on a SHIP in the WATER. There's bound to be some movement. Keep it in mind and have another drink!!

(I hope I haven't offended anyone--it can be funny to read the whole thread and see how things can .... I think 'get out of hand' would be too strong, but I think you know what I mean.)

Right now University of Miami says the ship is moving at 23 knots (cruising speed is 23.7 knots according to RCCL website) http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/obs/ex-rt-obs.pl That seems kind of odd for a ship that was tilting over a couple days ago. BTW University of Miami has a weather station and some other stuff on the ship they are doing some type of study at sea.

Right now University of Miami says the ship is moving at 23 knots (cruising speed is 23.7 knots according to RCCL website) http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/obs/ex-rt-obs.pl That seems kind of odd for a ship that was tilting over a couple days ago. BTW University of Miami has a weather station and some other stuff on the ship they are doing some type of study at sea.

They have been doing that study for almost 3 years now or longer. It's a cool website.

Just a couple of comments:

the noise and list could have come from the stabilizers one of them could have not retracted when they asked it to or vice-a-versa

yes the hull is steel and the topsides are aluminum, if one would look close you can see a plate of metal that is about 12-18 inches wide along the side of the ship. This is called a bi-metal strip. The bottom half is steel and the top half is aluminum.

A ship builder

I am back from the trip and finally found an explanation to what happened. I spoke with a menber of the crew after we left the ship. He was on his last day of his contract and was able to tell us what happened only after he finish and left the ship on sunday. He told us it was a stabilizer problem caused by operator error. Apperently the capitan of the Explorer has been selected as the new Capitan of the new RCCL ship being built now and a new crew is been train on the Explorer to take over. Apparently someone pulled a stabilizer in too quickly and that was the suddent movement to the side we felt. The stabilizer was quickly put back in position and we got back horizontal position . the rest of the trip was A-OK.:)

I agree that it could not have been 45 degrees. Voyager class ships are too top heavy and would probably be rolled over from even a 30 degree list.

Now THAT'S scary!!

Enchantment of the Seas: 7/2000

Carnival Legend (a legend in its own mind): 7/2003

Adventure of the Seas: 8/2004

Adventure of the Seas: 7/2005

I guess we don't need to check with the Russians to see if they lost another submarine then. And my theories about Solid Rocket Booster debris from the Shuttle wouldn't have held water either... So, please bring her back in one piece because Ryan has worked really hard to get our Meet and Mingle Party together. It would be a shame to have the party on the dock while they are repairing our ship.

Hey Ryan.... 5 more wake ups and we are Miami bound !!!!!!!

Its good to know what happened. My family was also on this sailing and it was pretty scary. We heard that all the liquor fell off the shelves and smashed. The rumor we kept hearing was that we hit a rogue wave. We did hear that water poured out of the swimming pools. We did not feel it as much as others because we were already in bed from a long day and we were on a low floor. You would think captains training to sail the ship would already have most of the experience down.

It was very nice of you to post the true account of what happened. THANK YOU. For those of us that are sailing here soon, it is nice to know that these things happen. My DW would have freaked out with this being our first cruise and all. I will have her read this this evening so she will feel more at ease. Again, Thanks for Sharing both the situation and the cause.

We were on the Explorer last week, and although a little disconcerting, it was no big deal. It lasted 25-30 seconds, MAX. The listing was no more that 10-15 degrees, not 45. There were around 20 bottles in the Promenade that broke because they were out on display for sale.

I was in the disco with my kids for Family Disco hour. I noticed the listing immediately, but again, it was no big deal. This was my 35th sailing, and the first time that has happened. It's kind of funny to read all of the guesses and rumors now that we're back I would NEVER let an incident like that keep me from a cruise. That would be ridiculous.

By the way, the Captain came on the PA system for his daily update on Monday (at sea) and said it occured while he was turning the ship. He downplayed the whole thing, and we followed right along. I don't even remember anyone mentioning it again the entire week.

I am working on a review of our wonderful trip to be posted. Met all of the CC members who did the Meet and Mingle. Great group, great cruise, and highly recommended for those interested in Explorer.

My list occurred while in the casual restaurant on the Lido deck, NOT a bar!!! And I freely admitted that while it felt like more, I know it wasn't as bad as it looked. I walked outside on deck and waited til she straightened up, it was kind of neat in retrospect. If a 5-7 degree list can break bottles, mine must have been even less than that. I was on the top of the ship, so I can see how it may have felt worse than it actually was.

Wow, I’ve read all of these posts. What an experience! I tell ya. I’m amazed, startled even. What an incident! What was done with all of those broken bottles of booze? Was there still enough in stock to supply the rest of the cruise? Did some poor soul have to go dry? Was there anybody, somebody who had enough sense to at least catch one bottle, a, a, a glass, a cup, a syringe of booze? Oh my! The tyranny of it all! Quick somebody get me a drink!

- - - seriously, I’m glad that no one suffered any injury during this ordeal…

Still - nfused2cruze.

Archived