What if we don't like tablemates?

I've been on a couple cruises where we were seated with tablemates that we got along with and enjoyed dinner with them. I've also been on cruises where the tablemates were ...um... rude....late...you name it. And it made dinner something we didn't look forward to. My question is......if we are seated with tablemates that are difficult, do we have the option of switching to MTD?

Just speak to your headwaiter. He can arrange with the Maitre D' to change your table assignment.

Or you can find the Maitre D' and speak to him yourself.

People do this all the time. They won't think anything of it.

:)

Yes, this can happen some times. We always ask for a large table. Very few times have we been disappointed, but one time it was all ladies. We are ladies too, but we like the mixture of men at the table too.:) So thus, we ask to be moved to another large table, but you need to do it the first night of your cruise, or definately the 2nd night you come into the dining room.

Just speak to your headwaiter. He can arrange with the Maitre D' to change your table assignment.

Or you can find the Maitre D' and speak to him yourself.

People do this all the time. They won't think anything of it.:)

Exactly, people do this all the time. Don't hesitate to do it! No reason for you to have bad table companions for the entire cruise. :)

LuLu

I don't know if you can switch to MTD after your cruise has started. They require you to prepay your tips for MTD as well so I don't know how that would work.

As the others have mentioned, just let someone know you want to switch tables after the first night. We did this once and felt terrible about it, but honestly, it was the best choice we made.

Usually the head waiter will make an appearance the first night. I was able to simply give him a knowing eye and he found us after dinner. They are so prepared for these situations!

I don't know if you can switch to MTD after your cruise has started. They require you to prepay your tips for MTD as well so I don't know how that would work.

As the others have mentioned, just let someone know you want to switch tables after the first night. We did this once and felt terrible about it, but honestly, it was the best choice we made.

Usually the head waiter will make an appearance the first night. I was able to simply give him a knowing eye and he found us after dinner. They are so prepared for these situations!

You can switch to MTD as long as they think that there is "space", according to their definition.

But if you like fixed/traditional dining, it is better to just try another table.

:)

It would be more likely that the other people are not feeling that they are a good fit for you also. Don't presume that they are going to be sad if you leave! By taking the first move you are probably giving them a big sigh of relief.

. And it made dinner something we didn't look forward to. My question is......if we are seated with tablemates that are difficult, do we have the option of switching to MTD?

So hows THIS one sound to ya? Next Saturday, we leave on Explorer. My partner's son is planning on proposing to his girlfriend while on board .... with a secret group of family members invited along to be in attendance. His girlfriend has no idea that all this family is gonna be there as a surprise. she only thinks its the 4 of us going.

Here's where it gets interesting .. his Mom (my partner's ex-wife) is coming along too ! :eek: And she despises me still 19 years later. Oh and she's crazy too !

And we're all together at dinner. So ... I'm thinking the same question as the OP ... how can I get outta THIS!? LOL!

15 cruises. Only 1 where we didn't like our tablemates very much. They were very rude and tried to pull us into a political argument. While we are somewhat political and have our beliefs, they were just trying to start an argument as we hadn't stated any position or feelings. They were trying to bait us for some reason. There were 3 couples and we were not of the same bent as the other two, but it never came up what side we were on so not sure what the one couple's problem was, but I have my opionion. It was a weird situation, but we were polite and stuck around for 5 nights. I wouldn't do it again. Every other trip, we've had fabulous tables and made friends that we still keep in touch with on several of them. I would ask to be moved if we had the one situation again. Point is, most of the time, there won't be an issue.

Edited by BND

So hows THIS one sound to ya? Next Saturday, we leave on Explorer. My partner's son is planning on proposing to his girlfriend while on board .... with a secret group of family members invited along to be in attendance. His girlfriend has no idea that all this family is gonna be there as a surprise. she only thinks its the 4 of us going.

Here's where it gets interesting .. his Mom (my partner's ex-wife) is coming along too ! :eek: And she despises me still 19 years later. Oh and she's crazy too !

And we're all together at dinner. So ... I'm thinking the same question as the OP ... how can I get outta THIS!? LOL!

Oh wow best of luck to you! Hope all goes well and report back to us if you get a chance.

You can't. LOL. I'm pretty sure you're stuck.

Oh wow best of luck to you! Hope all goes well and report back to us if you get a chance.

Oh, I will! Something tells me this eventful little cruise will turn into a Cruise Report afterward. IF I make it back!

You all please keep your ears on the news .. if u hear of a man getting pushed off Explorer next week by a crazed woman ... that'll be ME!!! :p

Edited by F27TW

On one of our Freedom cruises, we were seated with a family of 4; a doctor his wife and two kids. The doctor and kids weres so nice, but, the wife seemed bothered by us "commoners". We did not want to give up our table it was awesome over-looking the balcony.

We hymmed and hawed all day and finally went to the Maitre'D, and asked to be re-seated. He told us not to worry, we can keep the table apparently the doctor doing what his wife told him had already requested a table change...we lucked out, kept the table and ended up with the nicest table mates.

So, it goes to show you; the feelings are probably mutual.

I could see this lady ruining any ones day.

By the way we kept running into the doctor and the kids and they were so nice to us.

Enjoy, do what you have to do, it is your cruise.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Oh, I will! Something tells me this eventful little cruise will turn into a Cruise Report afterward. IF I make it back!

You all please keep your ears on the news .. if u hear of a man getting pushed off Explorer next week by a crazed woman ... that'll be ME!!! :p

Hope to hear a positive review with no murders LOL!

Yes, this can happen some times. We always ask for a large table. Very few times have we been disappointed, but one time it was all ladies. We are ladies too, but we like the mixture of men at the table too.:) So thus, we ask to be moved to another large table, but you need to do it the first night of your cruise, or definately the 2nd night you come into the dining room.

.......and I still am disappointed you and the other girls left us high and dry.....

So hows THIS one sound to ya? ...............

I normally say, try to make the best out of any situation, but you got me on this one. Whatever you do, make sure its on Youtube :D

In 10 cruises, I've only had two very very minor situations that I didn't have to try and deal with, but in 8 out of 10 cruises we had great table mates. Of the two situations, Oddly enough both situations were on Allure. In 2011 we were at a table for 4 and the other couple seemed nice enough on day 1, but they never came back. I can't think of anything I did or said ;) In 2013 we had a table of 8 and it was 3 married couples and one father/son pair. Couple number 2, the very first thing they said was, "We wanted a table for two" I guess they got it on night 2.

I also do remember our first 3 day cruise on Majesty. We were alone at a table for 10 all 3 nights. There was a family of 10 next to us and our wait team did both tables. That family was extremely rude to each other and the wait staff. We got the best ever service that trip. I clearly remember the waiters taking a deep breath and a sigh each time they left our table for that other table.

There's always the windjammer eat when you want and what you want with no waiting on someone else to bring out the next course or having to sit with someone you don't care to talk to, We only eat in the MDR on formal nights only then because the DW likes to dress up, Windjammer food is just as good and no table mates required.

So far, we've never had tablemates that we couldn't get along with....not sure why others seem so upset by other people!

Sure, some were better/nicer/more fun, than others...but we've yet to find folks that we had to "get away" from! Maybe we're just easy to get along with!

There's always the windjammer eat when you want and what you want with no waiting on someone else to bring out the next course or having to sit with someone you don't care to talk to, We only eat in the MDR on formal nights only then because the DW likes to dress up, Windjammer food is just as good and no table mates required.

That's all well and good, but the OP asked about switching tables in the MDR and not everyone wants to eat dinner in the WJ. We never have.

So far, we've never had tablemates that we couldn't get along with....not sure why others seem so upset by other people!

Sure, some were better/nicer/more fun, than others...but we've yet to find folks that we had to "get away" from! Maybe we're just easy to get along with!

I feel the same way, but I have read a few stories here from people that have had some pretty bad ones that I would have had problems with. Perhaps you and I are also good at picking up signals, or giving them with tact. I do not like discussing religion or politics. My job is very stressful and I cruise to get away from it. I will answer a question about my job and move on quickly. If another person has a job that intrigues me, I'll ask questions while watching for signs that its something that a person doesn't want to talk about.

Buy the ultimate drink package and just smile a lot. Hope your partners son's girlfriend says yes:) if not , it could get very interesting. Please report back. And don't forget that drink package:o enjoy. It will all work out

And this is why we always just request a 4 top or 6 top of my parents are going. I learned this after my first cruise when my single 23 year old girlfriends and I sat with this poor family and their highschool daughter. They were nice, we were nice but it was not a match. That was the cruise I lost weight.

Sent from my Iphone 7

We had a French woman on our British Isles cruise, last summer. She refused to even make eye contact with anyone at the table. Her husband was friendly, though, and just ignored her. Luckily, we had your time dining and avoided her the rest of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums