Ho Chi Minh City post-cruise hotel

Xoe

My 10-day Windstar cruise from Hong Kong ends at Ho Chi Minh City on February 4, 2015. I am seeking a moderately priced hotel in a good location for seeing as much as possible by walking.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Also, any information on the best way to get from the hotel to the airport for my flight back home which departs SGN at 11:30 on February 5.

Thank you!

We recently stayed at the Saigon Signature hotel which is about 5 minutes walk from Ben Thanh market and night market. The hotel organised a car to take us to the airport. The hotel gets good reviews on Tripadvisor and we'd certainly recommend it

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I'm feeling unsure of the best location in HCMC. The range of prices for hotels that receive glowing reviews is huge, from $30 to $300. (Quite a different story from Hong Kong hotel prices!)

My priorities are being able to walk to as many interesting places as possible, and having a clean quiet room for a good night's sleep. Included breakfast is good, and I also hope for my hotel's help to arrange transport to the airport the next morning.

I'm making a list of possibilities -- it's a long list! A low price is good, but a good location is more important. Beautiful Saigon 3 gets very high reviews and is very low cost. I'm considering the Signature Saigon -- thanks for your recommendation, suekay. Renaissance Riverside Hotel looks like a nice location; river views have appeal, and its reviews are good.

Any further ideas -- I'm listening! Thanks so much.

• 4 weeks later...

After receiving some advice on another thread, I reserved my post-cruise overnight at the Beautiful Saigon 3, a small budget priced hotel that is highly rated on Trip Advisor; the low cost will help balance the high cost of my pre-cruise stay in Hong Kong.

If anyone has further input for my day in HCMC at the end of my Star Pride cruise, I'll appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

I'll take your list of suggestions with me. I have only one day in HCMC, so will be seeing/doing only what is nearby, which probably will be a city tour such as you recommend.

I have learned to be really careful depending on TripAdvisor reviews. I very often compare to reviews on Lonely Planet. If I see a hotel on TripAdvisor that is highly rated but relatively low in price, I go immediately to Lonely Planet (which is frequented primarily by 20-30 something backpackers). If I see the same hotel mentioned on Lonely Planet repeatedly, I know that it is NOT a place I generally want to stay. A lot of those hotels get high reviews but you have to understand the demographic that is posting the reviews. May be very noisy with everyone walking around with backpacks, Ipods stuck in their ears and phones texting continuously. NOT my idea of a good hotel for this 65 yo. Reminds me too much of a college dorm.

If it was my stay, I would choose the Rex, EAST WING, with the view rooms (I ONLY choose the balcony rooms-I am in Saigon twice a year for business). The balconies look over the main street and you are right in the middle of everything you may want to see. Remember this is an OLD hotel recently renovated but the charm and memories this hotel holds are truly priceless. The breakfast buffet is one of the largest in Saigon and is included in most room prices if booked through a booking agency. Their front desk service is very, very good for arranging tours, giving out information and they have great car service to the airport.

The famous roof top bar was the sight of many, many high level meetings between CIA and top military officials during the War. The CIA basically took over the hotel. War correspondents broadcast daily from the bar. And if you look closely at the doors on the corner and large windows at street level, you can still see where the "grenade" doors were hanging during the War.

You can book this hotel through many agencies-AsiaRooms, Agoda, Expedia, etc. etc. But BE SPECIFIC if you want one of the balcony rooms. They are in the EAST WING. And they are usually called "family rooms" because they have a little sitting area where either the loveseat folds out into a bed or they bring in a rollaway.

Wherever you decide to stay, enjoy!!!

Edited by greatam

Greatam, your information is invaluable. I will now set about booking a balcony room at the Rex per your suggestions.

It's likely your message will be pivotal in making my short stay in Saigon/HCMC all it can be. I am very grateful!