2nd Time's a Charm? CB Review May 23-26

I really don't know what exactly was going on with the tenders. When we got to the main dining room at 8:30 am, they were already on tender ticket number 315. Right after we got there, they called out the first batch of numbers 1-80 (I think). Then there was an incredibly long wait. Probably close to a half hour. Then they called out a batch of 60 and a batch of 80 pretty close to one another. At that time, it was clear that they were finally trying to load two tenders at a time. Which was great . . . until the next long gap of time. I'm pretty sure it was about 9:45 am before they got to our number in the low 300's. As we were walking out of the dining room to our tender, I checked to see what number they were on and it was 955.

As for the reason for the delay, I heard one crew person say that they were supposed to have 6 tenders, but one was inoperable for some reason. (Which didn't make me feel great at the time because the tenders they used were ships emergency life boats!). Now, I learn on here it was only 4 tenders running. Then I heard another crew member say the tenders can hold up to 150 people. But, why just 60 to 80 at a time at first? Well, I'm guessing it was because most of the early boats had ship staff that was being shuttled to the island for food/drink/excursion/etc. service. We had a big group of staff on our tender. Plus, people who had shore excursions booked ashore probably got priority tender access too.

The tender process on the way back to the ship was much, much quicker. And, there was quite the line too. The moment bar service closed at 2 pm, people rushed to the tender line. It was only a 20-25 minute wait for a tender.

Then I heard another crew member say the tenders can hold up to 150 people. But, why just 60 to 80 at a time at first?

150 is when the tender is used as a life boat.

They pull up sections of the floor, and people sit with their feet in

the bilge. If you look the next time you are in a tender on princess,

you can see the little 'U'-shaped marks with a number -- showing

where each person should be in a lifeboat.

And, sometimes you can see the tenders packed this way during a

crew drill.

Other than that, I hope to never see it personally.

I'm pretty sure it was about 9:45 am before they got to our number in the low 300's. As we were walking out of the dining room to our tender, I checked to see what number they were on and it was 955.

Yep, that's about right. They were still well under 1000 at 9:45 when I got in line. I was handed #16. The numbers went up to 1500 and then started over at 1.

Yep, that's about right. They were still well under 1000 at 9:45 when I got in line. I was handed #16. The numbers went up to 1500 and then started over at 1.

Tendering is a real hassle for all concerned. Is it any wonder that some ships will not do it and only go to ports where they can dock.:D

After reading several posts it seems that invisibility is Lee's m.o. ....it would just be nice to know CDs were actually out actively managing what they are responsible for.

A good CD does not have to be visible to the passengers although it is nice when they are.

A CD is good if he/she has properly scheduled appropriate activities and has a staff well trained with high morale.

Some of the worst CDs I have cruised with have been very visible.

Princess should strongly consider putting in the Coke Freestyle Machines in the buffet and elsewhere on the ship, like Royal Caribbean has done on the Allure/Oasis ships. (Not to mention allowing the coke sticker to work on Princess Cay like other cruise lines.)

I have not personally experienced the RCCL machines, but I remember reading they only worked with a special cup so that those who did not purchase a soda package would not be able to use the machines. If true, I would not want to be carrying around a cup all the time in case I wanted to get a soda.

I am no aware of the rules for the RCCL soda package, but the Princess soda sticker is only for sodas dispensed with a soda gun. Princess Cays only has cans, no soda guns. Those with the all inclusive beverage package can get canned soda on Princess Cays.

That said, I agree that the soda sticker should be made good for cans when on Princess Cays.

" Those with the all inclusive beverage package can get canned soda on Princess Cays."

Is the all inclusive beverage package also known as the Ultimate Soda package? We plan to purchase the Ultimate on our upcoming cruise and would like to know if it's good for soda on Princess Cays.

" Those with the all inclusive beverage package can get canned soda on Princess Cays."

Is the all inclusive beverage package also known as the Ultimate Soda package? We plan to purchase the Ultimate on our upcoming cruise and would like to know if it's good for soda on Princess Cays.

The "All Inclusive" package is the alcohol package that runs $49 per person, per day plus gratuity.

I have not personally experienced the RCCL machines, but I remember reading they only worked with a special cup so that those who did not purchase a soda package would not be able to use the machines. If true, I would not want to be carrying around a cup all the time in case I wanted to get a soda.

I am no aware of the rules for the RCCL soda package, but the Princess soda sticker is only for sodas dispensed with a soda gun. Princess Cays only has cans, no soda guns. Those with the all inclusive beverage package can get canned soda on Princess Cays.

That said, I agree that the soda sticker should be made good for cans when on Princess Cays.

You are correct about RCCL. The cups you get look pretty much the same as the ones that Princess gives you when you purchase the soda sticker. But, the RCCL cups have a chip in the bottom which allows you to use them at the Freestyle Machines. My wife likes the machines because there is more than just soda. They have Dasani water and Dasani sparkling water in multiple flavors. PowerAde sports drink too. As for the soda, there is just about every Coke product and you can add flavoring like cherry, vanilla, orange and raspberry. You can refill every 15 minutes. Plus, you still get the coke sticker on your stateroom card. So, if you don't want to carry around the cup, you are free stop at any bar, flash your sticker and get a soda that way.

Those with the all inclusive beverage package can get canned soda on Princess Cays.

Sort of. If you purchase a can of soda, you typically get a 12 oz plastic

tumbler filled with ice, and also your can of soda.

If you use the sticker, you get a 10 oz plastic tumbler filled with soda

and ice. While the soda does come from a can, it is a little different

with the sticker, and without.

The "All Inclusive" package is the alcohol package that runs $49 per person, per day plus gratuity.

This is something that has been implemented since I was last on Princess. I had the UKP last time and then just bought any alcoholic drinks I wanted but I will have to investigate this newer package further.:D