Mitsugirlys graduation getaway cruise

mitsugirly

So looking at the days and times you have listed, you have booked all 3 of your shows with the same comedian.

Thank you so much for looking this up! With any luck, the material won't be the same at every show (doubt that Rodney does the exact same roster 6 times per week).

Looking forward to your continued review. :)

We easily found our room and opened the door. Ahhh, a balcony and it felt bigger than our last.

Everything was done in neutral colors and it was beautiful.

Here's the couch that would be Sakari's bed for the next week.

P5170051-L.jpg

I found the hall to be a little strange because I'm use to walking in to the room and having the bathroom on one side and the closet area on the other. This was a nice experience to only have the bathroom on the side and just a larger hallway. The hallway also got wider as you went into the room.

P5170054-L.jpg

Here was in front of the couch/bed with the storage, mirror, cabinets and flat screen tv.

P5170052-L.jpg

The storage closet was right beside the couch and had plenty of walking room even when the couch was made out into a bed (well at least more than what I'm use to). There was a side for hanging clothes and the other side was shelves and a safe.

P5170053-L.jpg

I have to say that this safe was by far the smallest safe ever. Normally I can put my folders in the safe to lock up (I make folders for every port with info in them, booking reservations, money and so on) and they did not fit at all. Not even close. I was forced to take just the money in the envelopes out and store in the safe. I did like that the safe had a light in it when you first opened it, but you had to be quick to find what you were looking for before it went out, then you were forced to dig in the dark. (By quick I mean about 10 seconds quick too).

Here's the storage shelves in the cabinet in front of the bed. I have to say that I found it really strange that they didn't have any storage with drawers. I always like to have drawers to put the undies and bathing suits in for all of us and there wasn't any in this room. Just weird to me to have to put everything on a shelf. The shelves were not big in this area either with the exception of the corner cabinet.

P5170062-L.jpg

Here you will find the location of the refrigerator, behind a cabinet door. My husband and I all week was opening the cabinet door and forgetting to open the fridge door jamming our hand into the outside when we wasn't paying attention. Do the other cabins just have the fridge sitting there on a shelf with no door and that's what we're use to? I don't remember. It was just odd that we both kept doing this.

I also have to say that our fridge was not cold at all. I kept turning the knob and it never sounded like it even came on. It also wouldn't let me turn it past the "7" mark. Grrr. I mentioned it to our room steward and he said he would check it out. Our fridge also did not come stocked. Everything was removed. Hallelujah! Could this be a new NCL policy? To only stock the fridge if requested? Of course not. They have to try to make money any way they can. When I made sure that our room steward knew we didn't have anything in it, he informed us that the previous cruisers had him remove the items and he hadn't gotten back to restocking it and I quickly informed him not to bother because I always have it removed myself. SCORE!

P5170061-L.jpg

As you can see in the picture, this is also where they store the hair dryer for your room. It also came with an attachment as well and even with mine and Sakari's long hair, it did the job fine.

The stool you see in the previous picture is a multipurpose stool and was a stroke of genius for whomever made it. It was a square and you could pull it up to the couch and use it for a footstool. You could use it while sitting at the couch for a table. Then you could remove the hard wooden top and it became a chair to use at the counter.

P5240089-L.jpg

P5240088-L.jpg

Then I didn't get a picture of it (forgot), but the cushion comes off as well and then you can use the inside for storage too. Sakari stored her toys in there.

Now our bed...ahhh, well maybe ahhh, then again maybe not.

P5170065-L.jpg

There was a lot of lighting in the room. There was a switch as you come in the door for the over head lighting. Then there was a switch at the counter for the mirror lighting, then another switch over by the bed that turned on the yellow lighting you see in the above picture and it also lit up the square thing above the bed (I have no idea what this is supposed to be used for, but at the end of the cruise, I figured out that I probably could have used it to store my dailies in it instead of putting them on my night stand.).

P5170064-L.jpg

There was also 2 lights beside the bed that you could turn on.

P5170063-L.jpg

For those of us that are blind, this room will suit you well.

P5170066-L.jpg

I do have to say that I read that the balcony rooms (and had also seen pictures) where the night stands lit up under them. Either ours didn't have the lights or I couldn't find out how to turn them on.

When the couch was made into a bed, this was the configuration and you can see that there was plenty of room to still walk around. It made out sideways instead of pulling out and it was only made as a 1 person bed.

P5170107-L.jpg

If you have 4 people booked in a room, then the other single bed will come out of the ceiling. So, even with 4 people in the room, to me, this would suit us just fine had we kept 4 in there because it didn't take up any more space.

P5170109-L.jpg

Now on to the bathroom....WOW. Yes, I'm use to the small little bathrooms and I was amazed at this bathroom. There was just so much room from standing room, to sitting on the potty room, to shower room.

P5170055-L.jpg

Very nice double sink and storage under the sink as well. Right under the tissues you will find the only drawer in this cabin. Since it was very small, I just used it to store my first aide kit that I always bring along since I broke my hand on my Epic cruise, I never leave home with things that I "might" need if I get hurt.

P5170056-L.jpg

Would you look at that shower? We could have fit the entire family in there. Well, not really, but it wasn't the small shower that I was use to in the other cabins. So I was really pleased.

P5170057-L.jpg

Then I caught a glimpse of the shower head(S) yea, full of a full body massager installed right there. Yep, Getr Done! I was going to enjoy coming home from long port days in this shower.

P5170058-L.jpg

You could turn the shower head on different selections, which included a rotating massage setting, then the handle below switched to the 6 different spray heads located up and down the wall. HEAVEN!!! Laaaaaa (singing in my opera voice). Seriously, it was amazing. Even the kids commented on it and for them to notice, yep, it's gotta be good. The shower head itself went up and down, so munchkins like Sakari felt like a big girl in the shower because she could reach the shower head when it was in the lowered position.

Edited by mitsugirly

WOW! Your airport experience sounds like a bad nightmare. How crazy!

I missed my flight once but it wasn't my fault. I was traveling to Myrtle Beach, SC from Washington, DC with both my girls. We arrived at the airport but our flight was delayed because of storms. I was told once we finally got onboard that we would have plenty of time to get to our flight in Charlotte. Well we get to the gate and I look to see our next plane leaving. We ran through the airport like crazy people. We were told that it showed we weren't on the flight that came in. So we had to spend the night in Charlotte (no luggage because I sent it with my husband the week before since he drove down). Got to the hotel and they had no toothpaste, no toothbrushes, nothing. They finally went to the next door hotel to find me stuff. I had to go back to airport early next morning & was hoping for a flight. Luckily we were able to get on a early flight. Of course I missed one day of beach fun! Traveling in airports can be stressful.

I can't forget this beautiful sink and the back splash behind it that turned colors depending on the view you had. It was like flip flop colors and pretty. Looking and feeling luxurious this time I tell ya.

P5170059-L.jpg

Here's that one and only single drawer to be found in the room

P5170060-L.jpg

Ok, so now to the balcony. Can you believe I don't think I took 1 picture of the balcony? Pictures from the balcony yes, pictures of the balcony no. What was my problem? I forgot almost everything this cruise...seriously. I missed so much.

However, I did not forget to take a picture of this...water on our balcony and for some reason it was there EVERY day of the cruise. Sometimes overflowing and sometimes just in the little gutter part. There wasn't a drain on our balcony, which I found really weird because when we looked up, you could see the drain for every room above us all the way down. I have to say this water would continue to aggravate me days to come. More about that later.

P5200329-L.jpg

As you notice in this picture, the water is overflowing onto the balcony part where we would walk out either bare footed or with socks and would manage to get our feet wet, which sometimes caused the carpet to get wet as you enter the room. Grrr

Now, as I stated I didn't take a picture of the balcony. Well I think the reason I didn't was because there wasn't really much to show. As a matter of fact, I wasn't really happy with what we had to look at when we were on the balcony. I really enjoyed our last balcony because when you were sitting on it, you could look straight down and see the ocean or if you were in port, you could see the people coming back or the party going on and so on. Instead the rooms were situated right above the deck (deck 8) with the "new and improved" waterfront area of dining and being "close to the outdoors". Well, this blocked our view. What we got to see was the top of the roof to these venues and not the ocean. We could only see out straight and it kinda felt like it was an "obstructed ocean view balcony room" if that even exists. If i doesn't, then it does now. Of course the floors above us got the same view, since it blocked them too, but they probably had a better view since they were higher up and didn't have to look that far out. There would be no siting of flying fish as we went by this time around.

All of the pictures I took, I tried to cut that portion out of the picture (yep, I felt embarrassed to post those pics to back home knowing they would wonder what type of room is that???). So I would always take a picture right beyond that edge looking out. However, I did manage to take this one, which captured a portion of it.

P5170070-L.jpg

I can say that when I went to Kendra's room, this was their view

P5180177-L.jpg

Not exactly the best either. Are there any rooms on this ship that are just balcony's that don't have something obstructing them? No, I'm not talking about the suites or Haven. I imagine they have the prime location (oh and the rooms on the aft of the ship too).

Do you notice something else in this picture? THERE'S A DRAIN on the balcony. Yep, that little round thingy with the holes in it that takes water OFF your balcony. The thing that obviously they forgot to put in my balcony.

Since we are latitudes members (I think silver?) we get the Godiva chocolates in our room, however, I don't like chocolate, so Sakari claimed them and when she couldn't eat anymore, Kendra and Courtney helped her out with the rest.

P5170077-L.jpg

Thank you so much for looking this up! With any luck, the material won't be the same at every show (doubt that Rodney does the exact same roster 6 times per week).

Looking forward to your continued review. :)

No problem at all. :)

WOW! Your airport experience sounds like a bad nightmare. How crazy!

I missed my flight once but it wasn't my fault. I was traveling to Myrtle Beach, SC from Washington, DC with both my girls. We arrived at the airport but our flight was delayed because of storms. I was told once we finally got onboard that we would have plenty of time to get to our flight in Charlotte. Well we get to the gate and I look to see our next plane leaving. We ran through the airport like crazy people. We were told that it showed we weren't on the flight that came in. So we had to spend the night in Charlotte (no luggage because I sent it with my husband the week before since he drove down). Got to the hotel and they had no toothpaste, no toothbrushes, nothing. They finally went to the next door hotel to find me stuff. I had to go back to airport early next morning & was hoping for a flight. Luckily we were able to get on a early flight. Of course I missed one day of beach fun! Traveling in airports can be stressful.

Our flight 6 months ago for our cruise was cruising in the middle of a darn snow blizzard that hit and we had a flight change with multiple times of "de-icing" the planes both times wasn't as stressful as this flight. :p

On our return flight, it was storming really bad and the flights were delayed. For awhile I thought we might have to spend the night in the airport (if we wanted to be on call for any available flights) or go back and find a room to stay in (which would have meant no luggage for us either). So glad it worked out for us that time (just had a late arrival home).

I'm loving your review so far! Not happy that you had such a rough start though and in fact it's making me anxious about our upcoming Getaway cruise. We always drive to our port the day before, but since we don't want our kids to miss school on Friday we will be driving from NC to somewhere in FL to spend the night Friday night and then have to board in Miami on Saturday. That's really going to stress me out! :eek:

I love your reviews!!!! I think I would have lost my mind on your daughter LOL. I'm like you and plan everything to the nth degree and would have lost it. Reminds me of when my parents were taking us to the airport to catch an international flight. My Dad came in to help us load luggage and left the keys to the car with my Mom. Well Mom decided that she needed to supervise or something and got out of the car and hit the door lock button. Yep, locked out of the car, with 1/2 of the luggage in it. My husband was trying to break the window with a brick when AAA showed up LOL

The balconies make me afraid to book the Breakaway class of ships. We LOVE our balconies and I know I would be so disappointed in that.

I'm loving your review so far! Not happy that you had such a rough start though and in fact it's making me anxious about our upcoming Getaway cruise. We always drive to our port the day before, but since we don't want our kids to miss school on Friday we will be driving from NC to somewhere in FL to spend the night Friday night and then have to board in Miami on Saturday. That's really going to stress me out! :eek:

Yea, we have done that twice now. Once to Miami and the other time to Port Canaveral. Those were both 2-3 day trips leaving from Ohio. :eek: They were stressful just for the fact of driving that far with the little ones in the van. :cool:

So we hung out on the balcony hoping to not be discovered by the kids for awhile and just relaxing. Our luggage came and I started to put things away in their "spots" that I had picked out for them. My husbands luggage didn't show up yet, so I managed to get all of mine and Sakari's luggage put away prior to the life boat safety drill. That was an added plus. When putting things away, I really felt like there wasn't as much storage as there normally is in the smaller rooms. Maybe it was just that I was missing the drawers that is usually at the vanity cabinet/mirror area or something. But it just didn't feel the same for some reason.

We also discovered later that Kendra and Courtney's luggage had not arrived yet either.

At 3:20pm, we headed out to the mandatory life boat drill and our location was at the Atrium (the atrium with the big screen tv), which also happen to be the location of several other categories (one of them not being Kendra's assignment). The place was crowded and they were all high-tech with their check-in system. They scanned everyone's room cards into a hand-held scanner to check you off the list. Then everyone stood around waiting for the "instructions" on how to put your life jacket on and what to do in case of an emergency.

Sakari received her life jacket and put it on.

P5170106-L.jpg

Now obviously she has went to every life boat drill with us previously. However, this time she consumed herself with wanting to know every little detail about why we were there, what was going to happen, and why she was getting a life jacket. Our group leader had decided to demonstrate how to put the life jacket on by using one of the kids in the audience and maybe that's what intrigued her. When we got back to the room, she had to try hers on and make sure the whistle and light was in working order. Now with me officially being a nurse, I shuttered when I seen her put that whistle in her mouth before I could stop her. I know what kind of germs could be on it already from all of the other munchkins that did the exact same thing. But it was too late. I just hoped for the best and quickly wiped it down for the next victim.

She continuously decided to ask me during the first half of the cruise when the boat was going to sink and when she needed to put her life jacket on. "Why would they give me this life jacket if the boat is not sinking?". Trying to explain to a 6 year old that it's for safety measures was not working. She was completely convinced this was her last cruise. She had that worried look on her face every time she seen the life jacket. I ended up hiding it under the bed and soon she forgot about it.

So life boat drill out of the way, Kendra and Courtney were texting me that it was time to get this party started. We met them up on the pool deck (after checking out H20 which is where the sailaway party was going to take place...which is a SMALL area to me and there were no seats and barely anyone there). We headed to the pool deck where you could hear music blaring and hoping that the party was getting started there instead. However, no room there for dancing that's for sure. The staff was standing on the seat around the pool dancing, but no room to dance for us. I was kinda sad about this and was missing the older ships with the space around the pool to dance our hearts out at the sail-away.

We found tables and sat down while the kids ate.

P5170074-L.jpg

I decided to start with a Dirty Banana drink and it was yummy.

P5170076-L.jpg

Soon Kolin decided that he was ready for me to sign him up for the underage drinking parental consent. He's not a big drinker and doesn't care too much for beer and not at all for wine, but he was willing to compromise while on the ship.

We headed down to customer service to get him signed up. The bar tender at the pool bar told me that all I needed to do was take our room cards and ourselves down to customer service to get him signed up. When we arrived, the lady looked at me like I was a bad parent for letting him sign up to drink at the age of 19. Sigh. I know my child, he's responsible with everything he does. He's worked at his union job for 2 1/2 years, never calls off and never gets into any trouble. He pays his bills on time and he's polite and considerate. I know what I'm doing. So after giving me the "judgement" look, she said I would need more than my room key to allow him to drink. I would need my ID as well. I told her I would have to go back to the room to get it. She ask if our names were the same. Nope, they are not, I'm remarried. She ask if the address on our ID's were there same. Nope, we just moved last week and I have the new address on my ID (only because when I renewed my license I knew that I was moving and knew the address) and he doesn't renew his license until November and has the old address on it. She was really trying. I told her "I'll be back with everything you need as proof" and walked away.

We arrived at my room where I proceeded to take out a folder with 1) My ID in it 2) My divorce papers proving that my name use to be the same last name as Kolin when I was married to his dad and 3) My marriage certificate from 8 years ago to my current husband showing that is why I have a different last name. I figured if that didn't do the job, they better take some time into looking up my information in their system showing what my previous address use to be from a week ago (which was the same as Kolins ID) and what my address is listed as for this cruise (which is what my ID said).

When we arrived back, we were helped by another representative who did not give us that judgement look and had me fill out the form and printed him off a new card with the PC listed on it. He teased his gf how he now had a card without the end snipped off of it and hers still had the corner missing (she's 20 until next month).

While we were in the Atrium, he walked over and got a beer from the bar and proudly presented his room card without the cut corner piece. He was grinning from ear to ear. I walked over to the Atrium Cafe and looked around at the goodies they had there from Carlos Bakery and decided to try out one of their lobster tails because I had heard so many people raving about these things and I just wanted to try one. It was YUMMY! However, to me, it was about the same thing as a cream horn, which I love too.

P5170072-L.jpg

I then signed up for the soda package and we received our cups and was quickly on our way back up to the rest of the family.

Here is Kolin after teasing Courtney about his "new room card" and rubbing it in good. You would have thought he won the lottery.

P5170075-L.jpg

Now at this point, I'm going to stop and post this because I know I will probably forget. This beer Kolin purchased in the atrium ended up being the one and only beer he bought the entire cruise on the ship. All that work for 1 beer. Really Kolin?

In my eyes, the sailaway was a bust and not like most of the other cruises. So we headed back to our rooms to watch us head out of the port. This is where I snapped the picture of us leaving that I posted earlier showing the balcony "view" from our room.

I did just locate a picture I took with my phone, so lucky you.

IMG_0495-L.jpg

If it's of ANY consolation, we had a Haven Suite on the Pearl and had a similar view of the cover over the walking track. Lesson learned....on the Jewel we selected the 2 BR suite almost to the far end of the Haven. There was one more cabin, I think, and if I remember correctly it's a 1 BR. Those are the only two Haven suites that can look down to the water instead of out at it.

Sorry you had such a rough start to your cruise! I used to threaten to send my son back to the factory...his smart a** response...? You birthed me - I've seen the stretch marks. :)

I quickly gave one last shout out on facebook to my family and friends back home showing them our "view" from our balcony and then added in the "let the next cruise countdown begin" and gave them the following picture.

IMG_0496-L.png

Everyone always ask about having to have the room card key in the "slot" to keep the electric on. This is it...I found later that this was the best and most powerful tool I could use against the husband when I was ready to leave the room. I used it often and when I was ready to head out I plucked that card out, turning everything off immediately, and I grinned from ear to ear and ran out the door before he could catch me. We have a real "playful" type of loving relationship and this continued to be a game for me the rest of the cruise.

IMG_0497-L.jpg

The only thing I didn't like about this card system was every time I was ready to leave, I was in a frenzy trying to locate all 3 of our key cards...forgetting each time that there was one in the slot. LOL I don't think I ever didn't get caught up in this system during the entire cruise and was still searching for the lost key card on the last day of the cruise. Silly me.

Time to throw in a random picture of me and the kids on our trip from the hotel to the cruise ship. I like to throw in random pics every once in awhile. It keeps everyone on their toes to see if they are really reading this.

IMG_0504-L.png

If you notice, Courtneys phone never did change time since our airplane ride. It was "stuck" on this time the entire cruise. I'm not sure why. Our phones stayed with whatever current time we had on the ship. Hmmm. Weird.

We had made reservations for the Illusionarium tonight since they offered it at a reduced cost if you went the first night. (This means for Kolin, Courtney, Sakari and Brayden). We (Me, hubby, Kendra & bf) got the free Ultimate Dining Package with our booking, so we were able to dine there for free (or any other specialty restaurants) the entire cruise.

We got dressed and ready for our (hopefully fingers crossed) great night at the show. We wondered around for awhile checking out more of the ship and taking some pictures along the way until it was time to get in line for the show. I had read prior to leaving (and did involve myself with one of the threads about arriving early enough to get good seats NOT at the back of the room) and knew when we should head there. This was probably one of the only things I researched and I'm kicking myself for not doing more research on the ship now.

Sakari posing in the atrium (the one with the beautiful chandelier) with her new purple dolphin daddy bought her back at the airplane terminal when he thought we were going to get split up.

P5170089-L.jpg

We arrived at the Illusionarium and checked in. Then we went to get in line. We kept going around the corner, then around the corner...wondering if the line ever ended. So much for getting there early. I was losing hope on getting good seats. Of course Kendra and family were late as always and we never did see them in line. Sakari and I had to "potty" and when we returned, the line was moving and daddy was coming around the last corner. I guess the lined moved pretty quickly.

We ended up getting, what I thought, were excellent seats. We were in the second row from the stage. When they ask us how many in our party, we told them 8 and they sat us down and then turned the chairs in to save the rest of the seats. I'm really glad we didn't get the front row in front of us because they were forced to turn their heads sideways to watch the show. Our table was facing head on to the stage and it was awesome. We were also able to see up in the dome as well.

P5170098-L.jpg

I turned around to take a picture of the rest of the area behind us, I'm not sure what happened to the picture or why it was all foggy looking. I do know they had some "ghost" flying by during the show. Maybe they forgot their "cue" and came out early?

P5170100-L.jpg

As you can see in the picture, those that had to sit toward the back and in the booths do have tv screens that showed them what was going on in the dome that we were seeing. However, I'm really glad we were able to see it ourselves.

Ok, moving on.

We were highly satisfied with their selection for us, which was on the 9th floor, room 9188, (yes there's a reason for the bolded 8 at the end).

Oh, c'mon. You are just teasing us now. Between this, the long last glance at the luggage in the parking lot and Kendra with your cc, there's some gripping stuff to come, for sure!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oh Girl that's the way we felt after our last cruise. Not just bummed but needing a cruise do over. I think I had high expectations. I guess we are bonkers because I'm looking for another where we can take all of ours!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No. No!,,,,,,

Got home late, got hooked on this review...but I am also hooked on Fargo like a previous poster !,,

And it starts in 4 minutes

Okay, mitsugirly

Mañana......

Nora

Edited by DrNora