Holland is a Country, Holland America is a Cruise Line............

IRL_Joanie

I've been thinking of posting this for awhile but never did as it seems such a teeny thing to complain about, but..........

It really irks me to see people, newbies and not so new to Cruise Critic refer to Holland America Line as "Holland."

People, Holland is a COUNTRY!! It is not a Cruise Line.

Holland America Line is a Cruise Line NOT a Country.

Many, many of us refer to the cruise line as HAL or even HA, the abbreviation(s) of Holland America Line, and that is OK, as far as I can say, but PLEASE do not use the Country of Holland as the name of the Cruise Line itself...

This may be overblown on my part but I felt the need to put it out there.

Off my soap Box and on to what really matters, Looking/reading all the good things that I can do on the ships of Holland America Line:)

JOanie

As a proud citizen of Holland, I don't mind the free promotion of our country at all :D

For us the name and origin of the Holland America Line is something special. Remembers us of the day that the headquarters were still in this beatifull building here in Rotterdam., which today houses a hotel called "Hotel New York".

Hal_hoofdkantoor.jpg.58510d1524a7b93867f7771eded07390.jpg

Holland is not a country anymore than New England is a country.

I don't particularly see it as an issue; there is no ambiguity about to what specifically the poster is referring. I don't get upset when people write America instead of the United States of America. :)

H I don't get upset when people write America instead of the United States of America. :)

Sometimes it does irritate our neighbors who also live in the Americas ;)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

I believe the name of the county is the Netherlands -- Holland is a portion of it, though many refer the country as Holland.

To quote Seinfeld... "so where do the Dutch come from" :D

You are fully correct Cruzbuds ! Actually, within the country of The Netherlands, we have 2 regions that are called Noord Holland (North Holland) and Zuid Holland (South Holland).

Strangely enough we talk about our entire country in 2 different ways. We either call it Nederland (The Netherlands) which literally means "low land" or we call it Holland. Either way is accepted and used as anybody wishes.

Why we as people from Holland are called "Dutch" in the English language is a mistery. We call ourselves "Hollanders" or "Nederlanders" in our local language.

:D

You are fully correct Cruzbuds ! Actually, within the country of The Netherlands, we have 2 regions that are called Noord Holland (North Holland) and Zuid Holland (South Holland).

Strangely enough we talk about our entire country in 2 different ways. We either call it Nederland (The Netherlands) which literally means "low land" or we call it Holland. Either way is accepted and used as anybody wishes.

Why we as people from Holland are called "Dutch" in the English language is a mistery. We call ourselves "Hollanders" or "Nederlanders" in our local language.

Thanks for the information! :)

Really. Does it matter that much to anyone else?

Does it bother you that we refer to USA as either the States, the US, or stateside?

What about the United Kingdom? Is it GB, England, Wales, Scotland, over there?

As long as people understand what the author is referring to why would it matter so much?

And the funniest thing is that Amish are called Pennsylvania dutch and speak Pennsylvania dutch - which has nothing in common with the dutch language- it is used for "deutsch" = german - and they speak a german dialect.... mixed today with english words.

But the word "dutch" itself came from the word "deutsch".... and the dutch language has a lot in common with german and english...

Wendy

What about the United Kingdom? Is it GB, England, Wales, Scotland, over there?

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Hand raised.) I can answer that one! But, since reading is so 20th century, let's watch a short film, shall we?

This is completely work safe and contains large, succulent, meaty chunks of learning.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! (Hand raised.) I can answer that one! But, since reading is so 20th century, let's watch a short film, shall we?

This is completely work safe and contains large, succulent, meaty chunks of learning.

Great video!

It doesn't bother me in the least but I've seen threads about this before. The thing that I find amusing is when people call HAL Holland American. Even more amusing is when they say they've taken quite a few cruises with Holland American.

Very scientific! Thanks.:)

Whether I'm in the dinning room, or in my cabin talking to my room stewart about my relaxing days on Holland, personally I could care less how people pronounce the name of the cruise line..............

And the funniest thing is that Amish are called Pennsylvania dutch and speak Pennsylvania dutch - which has nothing in common with the dutch language- it is used for "deutsch" = german - and they speak a german dialect.... mixed today with english words.

But the word "dutch" itself came from the word "deutsch".... and the dutch language has a lot in common with german and english...

Wendy

I live in PA Dutch country, their language is such a mishmash it's crazy! And as someone who can get by in German (and traveling to Holland er I mean The Netherlands this September) those languages LOOK the same by holy moly they can be VERY

To make easy matters even more complicated; the province Friesland (Fryslân) in The Netherlands claims to be quite different from the "Hollanders". :D

See this hilarious explanation (in English): Fascinating Friesland in five minutes

I think it's great to live in Friesland :)

Thank you - as a Canadian now knowing that we are connected to a Corporation I am impressed and extremely pleased to be a part of such great and large "Corporation". EH!!

I......

But I have to say, this thread has some good entertainment value:)

Then you may like this one as well (explanation of the differences between Holland, Netherlands, Dutch in English language) :D

thank you - as a canadian now knowing that we are connected to a corporation i am impressed and extremely pleased to be a part of such great and large "corporation". Eh!!

--same here

Edited by maxie99