Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

digital_curator

Anybody need to loose 100+ lbs

Good morning all,

Welcome GoalSeeker! Yes, your post inspired me. What came up for me were these things (BTW don't worry about being long-winded-just look at our previous posts LOL)1. Certain foods (for me flour and sugar+other binge foods that contain neither-like nuts) are really off limits for me. I think of it like a diabetic. Others may be able to eat it, but could make them sick, maim them or even kill them! No one that I know will try to force things on a diabetic! I sometimes share that I am allergic to certain foods, if the person is too persistent. Then when they ask "well, what happens?" I say I BREAK OUT IN FAT! They usually laugh and let it alone. Along the same vain, motivational speaker Les Brown (Gladys Knight's former husband) has a saying that I am paraphrasing: You have to be willing to give up today, what others are not willing to give up today so that you can have tomorrow what others will not have tomorrow. I am also a firm believer in Niki therapy--JUST DO IT.

Debbi-You know you are my girl! I am happy that you are willing to share with us and make no apology--that is progress. It is things like that that will keep you getting what you need--support and love. You are right to ask about the swollen gland. The waiting as you know is the hardest part. Nothing comes to my mind for your future except complete and quick healing for you. I hear the Drink Of The Day calling your name. Much love.

Kathi-Norman went for his follow up test yesterday. The results will be available in about 5 to 7 days. I am prayerful that it is arrested. Unfortunately, it is an incurable condition. My brother has the best disposition of anyone that I now going through all the things he is going through. It is interesting how many people I work with do not realize (and cannot seem to comprehend) there is a world of folks that do not work for a company with disability benefits! When I explain that he has had to resort to state medical aid (thank God for it) to cover the medical and there is no other money they seemed shocked and in disbelief! Unfortunately, I think they represent a big segment the larger population. Everyone is not doing great despite public opinion polls. Oops I'll step off the soapbox now. :)

Tami--I am proud of you. With school starting and all you do you are committed to do your thing. I love it when I can exercise for 30 to 45 minutes. Not that I want to mind you. But it feels so good and of course it helps with the figure and strength to do all that you do. As I noted earlier in the week I am trying to revamp my WOEx. Too much homework, too much work on program of recovery and too much going to work--LOL But I am sure I will get a routine back soon. I have to recognize that some is better than none. I have been working on a little something this week. I'll let you all know when I get a bit more consistent.

Sisterhood--This is indeed a journey! I am glad to be on the trip with you all. We know that however we do it, the SECRET is to eat less, exercise more. Period. Dot.

Be blessed

Natalie

PS See GoalSeeker no need to apologize :)

Good morning,

I was just glancing at some of the other threads for Losing Before You Cruise, wow-am I ever grateful that we are a sisterhood that knows the REAL truth about how to get to a healthy weight! Diets really do not work. Only a change in your way of eating that can be maintained always works. I to had been searching for the "secret" and found it several times for about 1 week at the most. LOL

I have all my food packed up for my overnight at school. It really is hard work. I was whining and realized that I NEVER heard myself whine about getting on the turnpike several miles from my home to get an item, nor about hours spent preparing a dessert for my family only to eat it all myself, and not once did I whine about having to go down several floors repeatedly to get treats out of the vending machine.

Thanks for caring and sharing.

Natalie

Hi all- Just a quick post between doctor's appointments today. I had mine with the neurologist this morning and then came home to eat lunch. I threw together a sandwich of eggplant, hummus and organic 100% whole wheat bread. Under 300 calories and pretty darned good!:D Yesterday I managed to squeeze in 20 minutes on the bike between homeschool group and my school. Today after I take babyman to the pediatrician I need to get 30 minutes in of cardio and weight training. I might end up walking with DD swims at practice.

Tami

Happy Monday!

Just want to say hello to the sisterhood.

I have a busy week with school homework and packing for a my cruise which as 20 days away.

The good news/bad news is I have to take my formal wear to be hemmed up--the pant legs and sleeves. The dress will have to be worn as is. I guess it will make me feel extra slim even if it fits like a potatoe sack. :)

Have a great day---work calls.

Natalie

Natalie- Congratulations on your dress being too big! That's great problem to have!

As for me, I'm hanging in here. Yesterday was a bad headache day and I was hungry all day. Not really sure why, except for the headache.:rolleyes:

Tami

Hi all,

This morning I left the meat and cooked veggies for my lunch in the microwave at my house. :( Then somehow the container that HAD my dressing in it was squished and all the dressing was inside the plastic bag!

I am just promising myself that I will get a take out lunch made up of the same components---NOT something crazy. I am sure you all know what I mean. Fried Chicken and French Fries with an ice cream chaser do not fit my WOE. My emotional self says it does. LOL My sane self is writitng to you.

Thanks for listening. :)

Natalie

Natalie- Yesterday was a stressful day for me too. The kids did not cooperate at all! I did get my exercise in (30 on the bike and strength training) but had chocolate. I made up for the chocolate by taking the baby in the jogging stroller and doing 2 laps of the soccer complex (about 2 miles total) over rough terrain while they practiced. I figure I about broke even for the chocolate at least.:rolleyes:

Tami

Hi Tami

I'm here. :) It has been a very rough week for me. I was just so sick-runny-stuffy nose, eyes watering, ears ringing, dizzy etc. So I took off Wednesday and Thursday when all that drama triggered a migraine. But I am much better now-just a few sniffles.

I stuck to my WOE. The WOEx is non existent. I had promised to catch everyone up with my renovation: picture an empty lot after the old house had been torn down-waiting patiently with flowering weeds growing while waiting for the ordinances to be corrected so the new house can go up! In other words I have too much red tape to list here. Suffice it to say -homework-housework-personal work AND trying to get ready to leave for my cruise in two weeks has left me no time. I keep hearing some is better than none…I am going to fit in 15 minutes a day 3-4 times week until I go. I have already committed to myself and the Big Man that while on the cruise I am going to exercise at least 3 times, although the goal is 5 times. This is only the third time of cruising (in lots of cruises) that I am anticipating the fun and excitement rather than what I am going to eat. Now that is a miracle. I am down to 235-another miracle. The evening clothes I told you about are off to the tailor tomorrow.

You keep up the good work. It encourages me to hear you do it no matter what--NIKE therapy is really good for us, isn't it. Hence-the 15 minutes despite the weeds growing.

Much love to all

Hi Natalie- Funky stuff has been going around here too. This cold and raining then warm and sunny weather has everyone sick. I had a migraine or borderline one for 2 days too. they were changing my meds around at that time too which didn't help. I took a relpax for the first time in months.

Your cruise is in 2 weeks and my Jamaica trip is in 8. I can't believe they are finally here. I'm so ready and yet not at the same time.:D So much to do before then!

Tami

Hello everyone...

Sorry to hear you all have not been feeling well. Tami & Natalie, hope you both are feeling much better by now. Gotta get well so you can get ready for your cruise.

My husband came down sick a few weeks ago. Went to the doctor last week and he has sinus infection, bronchitis and asthma. Goes back to the doctor tomorrow. He says he is feeling much better once he got on meds. I have been having some female problems...that seems to be getting better. We leave on our cruise in 4 weeks, so I hope all these issues will be behind us.

Natalie~I was happy to hear about your formal. Great problem to have.

Well...I hate to report it, but my WOE has been horrible. I have managed to maintain, but not for long if I keep this up. I need to get back on my diet tomorrow and stay focused. I have had the weirdest cravings...:(

Hope everyone has a great week. Chat with you all later.

Much Love...

~Kathi

I had to start back in today too Kathi. The weekend was bad. I need to get a handle on those because I do really well on the weekdays and the it all goes to heck because of our busy schedule on the weekends.

That and last week was just a very stressful week. DS is really fighting us on schoolwork which has DH and I both stressed out. When I try to talk to DH about it he gets all defensive. I'd like to smack both of them with a 2X4!!!!:mad: Men! Can't live with them, can't force them to live in the barn. This week I've decided that if DS doesn't get his homeschool done in the morning then his dad can deal with him when he gets up because I have a test this week at school and I'm not going to be stressed out all week by their crap. They can deal with eachother.

Tami

Hi everybody......

I hope all is well with my sisters!!!!! Sorry i haven't been on in a while but i'm sure you all understand.

The latest news is i saw a surgeon on Wed and he said that he can do surgery the 2nd or 3rd week of Oct. He said that he will remove half and then send out a piece of the other side of the thyroid while still in surgery to see if that too should come out. I would rather they take the whole thing out because i don't want to have to worry about this crap coming back on the other side later on down the road. We leave for our cruise 7 weeks from this Sunday :eek: Do ya think we will be able to swing it? I have another appt. this Thurs. with a cancer doctor and i will see what he says about all of this. I will make sure i tell him about our cruises coming up though ;) Don't worry about that. LOL!!!!! The other surgeon says i could wait until we come home from the cruises to have it done but he said that i would probably want it done before i leave. Then after surgery they have to do all kinds of tests to see if it spread and god knows what else. Anyway wish me luck with this surgeon because this is the one i wanted in the 1st place to do the surgery since he specializes in thyroid cancer. The other doc is just a general surgeon.

Tami..... After you get done with that 2x4 can you come over here and kick my hubby's a$$ with it. He's been such a jerk to me :(

Natalie.....You made me feel sooooooo special saying i was your girl. How sweet of you :D

Thank You all for making me feel bettter and i will keep thinking of all of you too and keeping you all in my prayers also.

I will let you all know more on Thurs. Until then God Bless :)

~~Debbie~~

Hi Everyone,

Debbie--I am so encouraged by what you do for you. I am learning to do for me what I do for others. (Tears forming in my eyes). It sounds like you have the health care professionals onboard with your expectations. It also sounds like they feel they are reasonable. I am sure the cruise will be great.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Debbie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Kathi-Glad to see you. Icky icky and double icky boys get the nastiest stuff! I am prayerful that it will be completely cleared up in time for the cruise. Hey don't start your "diet" just return to your WOE--it is an easier pill to swallow. The one thing I am realizing is that food is just food. My reaction to it is the problem. Did I mention in my previous post (the mind is the first to go-you know-lol) that of all the cruises I have gone on this is only the third one where I had not been and still am not obsessing about the food I will or will not eat??? That is a miracle in itself.

Tami--I too need that 2x4. I will use it repeatedly on my 28 year old daughter. Talk about drama inflicted on herself by herself that somehow I am EXPECTED to rescue her from and/or be inconvenienced! Oops am I having a blow up? Probably!

Well, I have not exercised the 15 minutes a day I committed to last week. I am too exhausted and yet I know it would energize me. So for now I am gong to allow myself to not do it and take it off that to do list that is sapping the little energy I have left.

I am not packed. I have to drive an hour for a tutoring session tomorrow night. :( But I am not understanding nothing that is going on in my Methods and Decision Making.

And yes, I'd like cheddar cheese with my whine. Thanks for asking and listening.

So here is the good news --a week from this coming Friday I will be on board the biggest cruise ship to date!!!! Yippee

Natalie

Hi all- Sorry to just be getting back. I had a major test at school last night. I'm doing ok but not great. Just maintaining this week. How is everyone?

Tami

Tami

Can you say stressed! I have test this evening. I have two poems due in the morning. Neither of them is acceptable right now. Trying to leave on Saturday for the cruise. Not packed. I am not a happy camper, BUT my WOE is on track. Thank You God.

Natalie

Natalie.... Calm down girlfriend!!!!! It sounds like you really need this cruise. Have a safe and wonderful time :D

Well ladies i went to the 2nd surgeon on Thurs. and of course instead of me having the easy way of surgery instead he walked in and said well we have to knock you out and remove the whole thyroid. Pretty sure he said whole. I have to go on Monday and have an MRI done to see if the cancer has spread into my lymph nodes (which i think it did) only because i already felt a gland since last Dec but he also found another on the left side. So he said that if it did it will be a more extensive surgery having to cut me from practilly ear to ear and of course there are more risks involved since he will have to remove the lymph nodes as well. I swear i wish it would end for me already :( (Sorry for throwing a pity party for me over here). I told him about the cruises and he says he wants to do this before we leave so now he thinks he could do surgery the last week of Oct of early Nov. He says if he needs to he will write a letter if i can't make the cruises :eek: Oh dear GOD Please Pray for me as i really need to get the heck out of here. I really did love the surgeon as he is tops in his field so i feel a lot better going with him.

I went to the gynecologist yesterday and i asked her to look at my leg cause i noticed a bump about 1 1/2 months ago while i had the rash. She told me it's a tumor :eek: She said it's not cancer but she did tell me to tell the surgeon and have him remove it while in the OR. Do you all believe this crap or what. I sure would love to know what the heck i did to keep having things happen to me. UGH :mad:

Well My DEAR Friends Have a Wonderful Weekend and i will let you know more when i find out.

Thanks For listening...... AGAIN !!!!!!!

~~Debbie~~

Oh by the way i forgot to mention that we recieved our cruise docs last Saturday :( How depressing.

And that tumor i was talking about is about the size of a really big egg if not bigger :eek:

~~Debbie~~

{{{{{{{{{{{Debbie}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

You have not done anything to bring any of this on yourself! I know this without a doubt. What I have found is that ALL my experiences (especially the less than pleasant) have helped or will help someone who is going through the same thing. As I type this I have tears in my eyes thinking of all the people in my life ( you included) who have faced some things and made it through some things. I think of their honesty and courage. These are the people that are role models for me. Not the ones who say "oh yeah, I had cancer and lost my legs but everything is fine"! Those type make me feel I am doing something wrong. You continue to share your journey. I am sure it is helpful to you and countless others. I am also so glad that you have a really good surgeon that you are confident in. Again, good looking out for yourself and mentioning the"rash" again. You go girl! If I were near you, I'd give you a big hug.

I have a dermatology appointment in December and I am going to mention a "sore" that has been on my elbow for too many years-it just won't heal. I told my primary who of course checked for diabetes. But it really should be gone by now.You too need this cruise really bad.

Yes, I need the cruise----BAD!

This weekend there was no heat in the dorm. I stay over Friday night because I live 40 minutes away down dark shoulder-less deer-in-mating-season roads and have a difficult time seeing at night. Anyway, I was up most of the night Friday, slept in all my clothes plus the blankets, went to the car at 3:30AM to get warm. The classroom Friday for that horrid exam was freezing and the morning classroom was cold too. When it was all said and done, I am happy to report I am not in jail. When I advised the Dean of the problem, she said I was the ONLY one who complained and it was after the fact????? I asked her why would I need to request heat when the temperature was below 30 degrees.:eek: The resident assistant did nothing to help us out. Anyway, I lost the rest of Saturday since I had to come home shower and get in the bed! So yeah the cruise is the only thing on my mind now! Well, mostly, I am going to take my poetry stuff as I think a cruise will make good fodder for two excellent poems!

I took this Thursday off to get a manicure-pedicure. I will be pacing today and tomorrow. Yeah!

BTW I am looking forward to jump starting my exercise program while on vacation. I can't believe it, but I actually miss working out. Oh my goodness, I am turning into one of "them." LOL

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Natalie

Man, sounds like all of us could use to meet up at a beach somewhere next weekend for moral support. Wish we could afford to do that. It was a long weekend for me too. My cousin died unexpectedly at age 44. He had a history of heart problems and had been having back pain. They think he had a reaction to the pain medication but they're doing an autopsy to find out for sure.

On the plus side I did make the last payment on my Jamaica trip and it's now less than 6 weeks away. I am nowhere near where I wanted to be on weight though. I'm very frustrated.

Debbie- I'm sending so much positive energy your way. I know you'll make it through this just fine.

Tami

Oh my gosh Tami i'm sooooooo sorry to hear about your cousin :( What a shame. He was so young and had his whole future ahead of him.

My prayers are with you at this most difficult time !!!!!!!

Thank You again for all the moral support i find from ALL of you. It really helps me out.

Well yesterday i went for my MRI's and X-Rays. They said the doc should have the results in 2 to 3 days. While i was getting my tests done i got a phone call from the surgeons office so when i came home i called them back and left a message. The phone rang a little while later and they told me i'm sceduled for surgery on Nov 8th :eek:

I'm getting myself so worked up because of our cruise. I told the girl that we were going away and she asked when so i told her the Nov 26th and she said OH !!!!! I begged her if she could do any better and she said she might be able to get me in Oct 27th instead BUT my surgeon is at a conference in Chicago so she has to wait until he gets back and looks at his scedule. She did tell me she will try and push him for me as she doesn't want me to miss my trip BUT she said she's been pushing him a lot lately. Well anyway wish me luck over here.

Take care everybody....I will keep you all in my prayers :D

~~Debbie~~

Tami--I too am so sorry to hear about the unexpected (as though it ever really is) death of your cousin. :( I too am praying for you too.

Yes, a meeting on the beach would be perfect. We might want to seriously consider getting together next year, if only for a weekend.

I am at 235 this morning. I am ok with it. I know that I did not follow my WOE in as straight a line as I wanted to believe. LOL But from when I began to be committed rather than involved, I've done well. My goal is now to lose 5 pounds a month until I am at my goal.

I am so excited that I can't stand it.

Hello Everyone,

Only 2 days until I leave. Yippee

I had a pedicure, manicure, and eyebrow & chin wax today. I get my hair done in the morning.

I am going to turn in my math project and poetry homework tonight. My financial adviser did the pension/401k model for me this morning. Thank you God. Both for him doing it and me being able to see there is hope that I will will one day be doing only those things I really want to do. :) Based on me consistently sticking to the plan to the best of my ability--like the WOE/WOEx

I am off to a meeting tonight. My packing is almost done.

I am on hold confirming the airline reservations. I did the cruise on line check in this morning.

My WOE is going quite well. I really like the feeling I have when I am abstaining from those things that make me crazy! I remember going on a cruise with a girlfriend several year back. When she arrived I was literally in my underwear with various things I meant to pack just laying on the suitcase. I left lots of important stuff at home including the vouchers for the shuttle from the airport to the pier. I do not ever want that to happen again. :eek:

Now 3 calls later I have confirmed the air flights and seats for 2 of the 4 legs of of the round trip. :( I have to go to another web site and print the boarding passes. There is a PRICE to pay for getting a cheap price. LOL

I hope everyone is well and holding each of us up in prayer as we go through the ups and down of this beautiful thing called life.

Sisterhood: I love you all!

I'll say good bye tomorrow.

Natalie

Natalie..... Now you only have 1 day till ya leave ;) Have a great time :D

Well to fill my sisterhood in as to what has been going on with me, hold onto your seats it's been a wild ride. LOL

Ok so here it is Monday i get a call from the surgeons office. The girl continues on and tells me they have me scheduled for surgery. The date Nov 8th :eek: I say you have got to be kidding me. She asked what was wrong and i told her that i had 2 cruises booked and she asked for when and i told her Nov 26th. She comes back and says OH. I asked what was wrong and she says you probably won't be able to go on your cruises. So then she told me the doc was out of town and when he comes back that the most should could do for me was possibly Oct. 27th. She said she would push the doc to do it that day for me but could'nt promise me. So here goes......... I get a phone call on Wed from the surgeons office and it's this girl again and she asks if iwould like to have surgery on Monday. Yes girls Monday Oct. 16th. I say oh my god i would love to. She asked when my appt. was for the vocal chord doc and said it was for Monday. (Yes the same Monday) She puts me thru to Marsha who takes care of everything and Marsha turns around and tells me she was out the door and heard the phone ringing and something made her turn around and answer it. She told me she never turns around like that. How lucky was i ? She calls the doc and asks if i could come in and she calls me back and says how about today at 3:30. I said fine i will be there. YIPPEE!!!!!!! While at that docs office Marsha calls and tells me the surgery might have to be put off since my surgeon was still out of town and didn't see my reports for the MRI's. So let me tell you how hard that 24 hours were for me to have to wait. Well yesterday i had to go for my Pre-Admission testing and then from there it was time to see my surgeon. He came in and checked me and said i hate to ruin your day and i turned around and said please don't tell me your cancelling my surgery and he says no but he would like to do a biopsy on the swollen gland i have to see if it was cancer. I said no problen and off to the other room i went and he did the biopsy. He said everything looked fine but really wouldn't know until he had me opened up. So after this very long story i will be having my surgery on MONDAY!!!!!! I can't belive it. So if it wasn't for this angel that was sent to me i wouldn't be going on my cruises. I couldn't thank this girl enough. She told me she fealt so bad for me and when she heard that there was a cancellation she knew the person to call. YES ...... ME :)

Well that's enough blabbing but i just wanted to let you all know what was going on.

Have a great day everybody and you are all in my thoughts and prayers !!!!!

LOVE,

~~Debbie~~

Hi all- Well we got our test back in class last night. I got a 102 out of 100 on it. :D Sorta takes the pressure off the rest of the semester. Otherwise things are just going along. I'm sort of hanging out right at 200. grrr!

Debbie- I'm so glad you're getting your surgery Monday. How long will you be in the hospital? We'll all be worrying about you until we hear from you.

Natalie- Have an awesome trip!

Tami