Oasis vs Freedom

I have searched and I know this has been asked before with various scenarios so I figured I would throw mine in the mix to see what others think.

I have booked DH and I on FOS for Oct 2015 with ports to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin under the bogo and wow sale for about $1650 and $100 obc in an ocean view balcony room on deck 6. After reading more reviews I am now considering switching to Oasis with ports in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin. We would probably have to do an interior or ocean view to keep the price comparable (prob about $100 more and would lose the obc)

Which would you do?

We have never cruised with a balcony, always inside and this would be my first royal cruise. DH cruised them before but in high school. We are in our mid thirties now. We cruised last October with a stop in Nassau but this would be our first times to the other two ports.

My advice, you mention its your first RC cruise so if you go on the FOS that be an excellent choice, if you go on the Oasis you got the best, the mother load of all lol. If you will be cruising again after that cruise say like within two years then I suggest you go on the FOS now and then move up to the Oasis ship.

I have been on 53 cruises and honestly can say the Allure (sister ship of the Oaisis) was my most favorite ship ever, truly amazing in every way, you can't get a better ship than that, at least for now lol.

They are both great ships. I like the Allure (sister to Oasis) slightly better than the Freedom due to the restaurants, Central Park, Boardwalk and the entertainment is a step up. However, I have done the Freedom 5 times and just booked it for September 2015 on the sale. Could end up doing it again between now and then anyway. It is a great ship with one of the best crew at RC. Just be careful....once you do a balcony, it is hard to go back. :)

You can't go wrong with the Freedom but the only way I would switch would be if I could do an ocean facing ocean view cabin for the same price as a balcony on the Freedom. I have to have to be able to see the ocean and all its beauty.

Where are you coming from (state) will you be driving or flying?

We are coming from TN and I am actually up in the air about flying versus driving. If oasis we would definitely fly but may drive to port canaveral. I am actually researching that now (options from airport to canaveral). The downside to driving is my DH is a teacher so he has to go back to work on Monday. It is frowned upon for them to miss the day after a break.

They are both great ships. I like the Allure (sister to Oasis) slightly better than the Freedom due to the restaurants, Central Park, Boardwalk and the entertainment is a step up. However, I have done the Freedom 5 times and just booked it for September 2015 on the sale. Could end up doing it again between now and then anyway. It is a great ship with one of the best crew at RC. Just be careful....once you do a balcony, it is hard to go back. :)

You can't go wrong with the Freedom but the only way I would switch would be if I could do an ocean facing ocean view cabin for the same price as a balcony on the Freedom. I have to have to be able to see the ocean and all its beauty.

Thank you for your input. I have heard rave reviews about balconies so I definitely want to give it a try. I am expecting (due this Oct) and have a two and a half year old. Based on advice from other CC members I see only balconies in our future anyway as we will be traveling with our children in the future. I just wanted one time without them. ;)

My advice, you mention its your first RC cruise so if you go on the FOS that be an excellent choice, if you go on the Oasis you got the best, the mother load of all lol. If you will be cruising again after that cruise say like within two years then I suggest you go on the FOS now and then move up to the Oasis ship.

I have been on 53 cruises and honestly can say the Allure (sister ship of the Oaisis) was my most favorite ship ever, truly amazing in every way, you can't get a better ship than that, at least for now lol.

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated!

I vote for the freedom

Oasis class is a ship that you have to do in your life. I went to the oasis and last month to the Allure but the ship was so crowed and warm everywhere that I didn't liked much. Chicago was boring and the aqua show was monotonous. In the other hand Oasis was more young friendly specially hairspray

Anyways, back to freedom vs oasis class. I was in the liberty ( freedom class ) years ago and I liked the ship. The ship is big but is not a monster. There is always something to do and I never ft bored. The sauna/ steamer is free which is not in the oasis.

Last but not least, I don't like when the oasis class goes to Nassau from ( I don't remember the exact time ) 8am-1pm to Nassau. Five hours in a port is way to little for me. So I feel like I am paying a lot for only 2 ports.

I rather go to coco cay 8-5 than to Nassau 8-1 and if you go on a sunday ( the city is basically dead)

Have fun and make the best choice. Btw, I'm going in the independence next year ( freedom class )

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I vote for the freedom

Oasis class is a ship that you have to do in your life. I went to the oasis and last month to the Allure but the ship was so crowed and warm everywhere that I didn't liked much. Chicago was boring and the aqua show was monotonous. In the other hand Oasis was more young friendly specially hairspray

Anyways, back to freedom vs oasis class. I was in the liberty ( freedom class ) years ago and I liked the ship. The ship is big but is not a monster. There is always something to do and I never ft bored. The sauna/ steamer is free which is not in the oasis.

Last but not least, I don't like when the oasis class goes to Nassau from ( I don't remember the exact time ) 8am-1pm to Nassau. Five hours in a port is way to little for me. So I feel like I am paying a lot for only 2 ports.

I rather go to coco cay 8-5 than to Nassau 8-1 and if you go on a sunday ( the city is basically dead)

Have fun and make the best choice. Btw, I'm going in the independence next year ( freedom class )

Thanks so much! :)

OP:

Since your husband has to get back to work on monday it is best to fly. The problem with flying into Orlando is that there is a distance between Orlando and Pt. Canaveral, another thing, you definitely need to fly the day before and get a night hotel stay, which is easy but I feel the transportation from airport to the hotel/ship is going to be costly and its a distance from one another.

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale is very easy and there are many places for you to stay around the port which is only a handful of minutes from the airport. The airport and hotel/port are extremely close by practically in the same area. Taxi's won't cost much from airport to hotel/ship.

I highly recommend in flying the day before, not only to ensure you arrive on time to the ship as things do happen such as flight delays and such, but it also won't be a rush the same day to travel then go right on the ship it could be a bit too much.

We are coming from TN and I am actually up in the air about flying versus driving. If oasis we would definitely fly but may drive to port canaveral. I am actually researching that now (options from airport to canaveral). The downside to driving is my DH is a teacher so he has to go back to work on Monday. It is frowned upon for them to miss the day after a break.

I'm from Knoxville area and we just got back from FLL/Oasis. It is a long drive (but we're use to it) but, the drive is actually easy, but if you're doing it over fall break, then I'd fly - don't forget to think about driving to Atlanta, then flying to Fort Lauderdale (alot cheaper - and of course if you pick the Oasis). My brother/girlfriend took their first cruise w/ us and he thought "I just don't know about cruising, etc" well, they are both ready to do it again and just loved the Oasis w/ so many things to do. I know there is TA's out there that will give you obc, spa, dinner, etc. Just do some searching - You'll love either ship!

OP:

Since your husband has to get back to work on monday it is best to fly. The problem with flying into Orlando is that there is a distance between Orlando and Pt. Canaveral, another thing, you definitely need to fly the day before and get a night hotel stay, which is easy but I feel the transportation from airport to the hotel/ship is going to be costly and its a distance from one another.

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale is very easy and there are many places for you to stay around the port which is only a handful of minutes from the airport. The airport and hotel/port are extremely close by practically in the same area. Taxi's won't cost much from airport to hotel/ship.

I highly recommend in flying the day before, not only to ensure you arrive on time to the ship as things do happen such as flight delays and such, but it also won't be a rush the same day to travel then go right on the ship it could be a bit too much.

Thanks! We will definitely fly in the day before either way. The distance from Orlando to the port is one of the downfalls that I have been going back and forth about. But since it is a Sunday departure we could have an enjoyable day in Orlando Saturday. Whereas with Oasis we would have to do a later flight on Friday evening b/c of the hubby's schedule.

I'm from Knoxville area and we just got back from FLL/Oasis. It is a long drive (but we're use to it) but, the drive is actually easy, but if you're doing it over fall break, then I'd fly - don't forget to think about driving to Atlanta, then flying to Fort Lauderdale (alot cheaper - and of course if you pick the Oasis). My brother/girlfriend took their first cruise w/ us and he thought "I just don't know about cruising, etc" well, they are both ready to do it again and just loved the Oasis w/ so many things to do. I know there is TA's out there that will give you obc, spa, dinner, etc. Just do some searching - You'll love either ship!

Thank you for the response and additional options on flights!:)

I vote for the freedom

I agree with pretty much everything said above here. We have sailed the Liberty and Independence (Freedom's sister ships) and loved them and have the Freedom booked for 2016. We have sailed on the Oasis and have Allure booked for 2015 - incredible experience you should try at least once. That said, I would do the Freedom first and work your way up to the Oasis class on a future trip. You will be WOW'ed by the Freedom class and then WOW'ed again by the Oasis class another time. It is a bit anti-climatic going Oasis to Freedom class.

In terms of the Oasis class ships being warmer. I have never experienced this. In terms of it being more crowded, I felt the opposite and it was less crowded than the Freedom class ships. There are always "choke" points like elevators, getting out of shows, and going ashore, so just plan accordingly.

As for the poster's above comment about liking Hairspray on the Oasis....we too loved it and saw it twice on our cruise. I do not know when you are sailing, but I have read that Hairspray is moving to the Freedom after drydock in January 2015, so you may get to experience Hairspray on the Freedom as well if it is after this date.

We've done Allure as well as two Freedom class ships (Freedom and Liberty). We have Indy booked for Oct 2015 so you can see which our preference is :)

When we sailed on Freedom we flew into Orlando a day in advance and did a one-way car rental from MCO to Cocoa Beach. That gave us the car to sight-see, then drive to port. Car rental place has free shuttle to port. We then did a shared shuttle from port to airport after the cruise.

We've done Allure as well as two Freedom class ships (Freedom and Liberty). We have Indy booked for Oct 2015 so you can see which our preference is :)

When we sailed on Freedom we flew into Orlando a day in advance and did a one-way car rental from MCO to Cocoa Beach. That gave us the car to sight-see, then drive to port. Car rental place has free shuttle to port. We then did a shared shuttle from port to airport after the cruise.

This is the option we are leaning towards the most if we do Freedom. It's reassuring to hear this option works well.

I agree with pretty much everything said above here. We have sailed the Liberty and Independence (Freedom's sister ships) and loved them and have the Freedom booked for 2016. We have sailed on the Oasis and have Allure booked for 2015 - incredible experience you should try at least once. That said, I would do the Freedom first and work your way up to the Oasis class on a future trip. You will be WOW'ed by the Freedom class and then WOW'ed again by the Oasis class another time. It is a bit anti-climatic going Oasis to Freedom class.

In terms of the Oasis class ships being warmer. I have never experienced this. In terms of it being more crowded, I felt the opposite and it was less crowded than the Freedom class ships. There are always "choke" points like elevators, getting out of shows, and going ashore, so just plan accordingly.

As for the poster's above comment about liking Hairspray on the Oasis....we too loved it and saw it twice on our cruise. I do not know when you are sailing, but I have read that Hairspray is moving to the Freedom after drydock in January 2015, so you may get to experience Hairspray on the Freedom as well if it is after this date.

Thanks so much for the advice!

I appreciate everyone's input. I think we will stick with FOS. Being able to enjoy the balcony and then moving up to Oasis sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of having a full day before the cruise versus getting in late Friday evening. I know it's over a year away but I am super excited. I know once my new baby arrives this October, next October will be here before I know it. :p

One other thing to consider is the drive.

Going to PC from Orlando is easy - rent a car and then drop it off, shuttle to the port. But coming back that's another story...

Make sure you pick a late flight because you have to (1) get off the ship (2) shuttle to car rental (3) wait in line for the car and then (4) drive to the airport...lots of time OR hire a car service (additional cost) to get you to the airport on time.

I was at the rental place and there was a shortage of cars to rent for the return trip so long delay...

Just another point of view. Done them both (FOS, Oasis/Allure) - I like your stops as you get a island day. Nassau is pretty touristy so prefer to skip it...(probably because the last 2 cruises and my future 2 have Nassau and would like to skip it)

Congrats on your soon to be new baby, boy, the year is going to fly by so fast for you and soon as you know it your child is one year old and your on a cruise, I assume you taking him/her with you?

I think your choice for the Freedom is excellent, you will work your way up to the Oasis class, but you won't be any disappointed at all on the Freedom, she is a wonderful ship that we cruised on her twice and her sister ship Liberty of the Seas twice within four years time and we would go on them again in a heartbeat.

One other thing to consider is the drive.

Going to PC from Orlando is easy - rent a car and then drop it off, shuttle to the port. But coming back that's another story...

Make sure you pick a late flight because you have to (1) get off the ship (2) shuttle to car rental (3) wait in line for the car and then (4) drive to the airport...lots of time OR hire a car service (additional cost) to get you to the airport on time.

I was at the rental place and there was a shortage of cars to rent for the return trip so long delay...

Just another point of view. Done them both (FOS, Oasis/Allure) - I like your stops as you get a island day. Nassau is pretty touristy so prefer to skip it...(probably because the last 2 cruises and my future 2 have Nassau and would like to skip it)

This is why we rent a car for the trip from the airport to the ship before the cruise, and use a shuttle service for the trip from the ship to the airport after the cruise. We've had good luck with Travelynx and Cocoa Beach Shuttle.

Edited by clarea

I'm curious to know if any of the Oasis class cruisers missed the shows every night like the traditional schedules. This was the one point that made me choose Freedom next year. We like going to shows every night and seeing different ones. The Oasis class seemed to have bigger productions but only a couple times a week.

I'm curious to know if any of the Oasis class cruisers missed the shows every night like the traditional schedules. This was the one point that made me choose Freedom next year. We like going to shows every night and seeing different ones. The Oasis class seemed to have bigger productions but only a couple times a week.

There were shows every night on our Allure cruise. However, I did not like that they had to be reserved in advance. I prefer the traditional show arrangement where there's a show for each assigned dinner seating.

I also realize they cannot do this on Oasis class because guest population is much larger in proportion to the theater size than other ships.