Belfast to Giant's Causeway...a DIY trip

gdlamberth

I posted this on the UK ports board also. I hope no one is offended but I thought I might get additional recommendations from this Board's Readers.

Thank you for your patience,

Greg

We will be docked in Belfast from 0800-2200 on Saturday 13 September. I am looking at the possibility of renting a car (there are 3 adults in party) and driving to Giant's Causeway. Other posts have mentioned visiting the Bushmill distillery and a few other sites. That sounds like a good idea. Questions:

1. Do we have time to do this trip without stressing too much?
  2. How long are we likely to spend at the Giant's Causeway itself?
  3. Big crowds?
  4. Any other tips like the parking at the pub one mentioned earlier in this thread?
  5. Is this still doable if I add the constraint of being back in Belfast by 1700? 1800? I'm cheap and am thinking of getting back in time for our "no additional charge" :rolleyes:dinner on the ship.

My wife is good at driving on the left side of the road and we will have just spent two weeks in England and Scotland prior to our cruise.

Thanks for your assistance and recommendations:),

• 4 weeks later...

8.00-17.00 is not a problem to do this trip, depending on which route you drive.

The motorway route A26 is 1.5 hours while the coast route is 2.5hr.

90 mins at the causeway is enough time and park in the pub carpark or you will pay £8 per person entry. this will almost cover the cost of lunch in the pub. Bushmills is worth a short visit the tour is 1+ hours but skip it and do the rope bridge and then stop off at the Dark Hedges on the way back.

Have fun

Hi Gregg. If you want to go to Giants Causeway and hire a car like Dubrob says it will be approx 1 hour 15 mins from Belfast on motorway. If you don't want to hire the audio tape etc from the visitors centre at the Giants Causeway just walk to the right hand side of the centre as you look at it and walk up the hill and you get in for free :) you can et a bus down to the actual rocks for a cost of £1 each way but if you can walk down it is lovely. the cost of the visitors centre is usually £8 but this does include a look at the centre and the hire of a tape which gives you the history but even if one of your party wanted to get that they could pass it onto the rest of the party.

Bushmills Distillery is quite interesting if you enjoy a whisky and tours take between 45 mins to an hour. interesting though even if you don't drink but also if time is short like Dubrob says Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is fun though quite a walk down to it so you need to be mobile and steep steps down to the actual bridge.

It is very nice to sit and have a drink in bushmills Inn which is on the main street (there is only one street) so you can't miss it but it is a really lovely little pub.

If you get to Bushmills can I give you one tip - drive from Bushmills towards Portrush and just about 3 mins outside Bushmills there is the ruins of Dunluce Castle and they are very picturesque. There is a place to pull over and if you take a picture and if this on a good day it is just wow!! You may not hear of this on other sites but believe me it is worth seeing if you are so close.

If I can help you out at all in any way please do post again as I visit this area of the world every month so I know a lot of places.

• 1 month later...

We have been reading the responses here and elsewhere and have decided we would prefer to arrange a tour so all of us can enjoy the scenery on the trip. We have arranged a driver for the 3 of us to see a bit of Belfast, the Giant's Causeway, a stop at the Bushmill's Distillery (but no tour as per recommendation), a stop at the Dunluce Castle Ruins, & visit the Carrick-a-rede Bridge. The route will go up the coast road and back down through the Dark Hedges. We've included most of the recommendations received; just, decided to avoid the issues (and benefits) of driving ourselves. The "private" tour we arranged is significantly less expensive than the one off the ship though a bit more on a per person basis than driving ourselves. We thought it would be worth the convenience.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Greg