Cruise Critic Community
Raycruise2010

What to see it St. Kitts?

I too am interested in a St. Kitts tour. Is there any tour you would recommend on the Silhouette? Do they offer a catamaran tour?

Thanks

Shelly

If you check the port of call thread for St Kitts Nevis you will find many suggestions. We are on the Eclipse next Sat. and we have booked a group tour for nearly 50 CC's from our roll call to tour with Thenford Grey who is highly recommended on that forum. Check him out as well as the other options mentioned in that forum.

I loved the railway as well. It's delightful and the scenery is marvelous. I also did the catamaran sail to Nevis. We first stopped at the end of St. Kitts to snorkel which was very good. There was a healthy reef with lots of coral and fish. Then we sailed over to Nevis for a barbecue picnic lunch (watch out for the ants) and the beach. The beach has a steep slope in and the sand isn't the best there but it was okay. Just not the paradise part of Nevis I was hoping for. One of the crew members told me the best place to go on St. Kitts for the beach is the Marriott so that would seem to be the place to go.

Edited by cruise pup

Our family went to St Kitts the week before Christmas and took a great tour of the island, visiting the former sugar plantations, windmill/farms and other interesting areas that most visitors don't see. The tour operator, Greg, has very nice 4x4 Land Rovers, his family has been in St Kitts for generations and he has great pride in his island and the warm friendly people that live there. He took us high up in the rain forest area for a picnic of native snacks & rum. His email is greg@gregsafaris.com the price was reasonable. If you don't like the historical-sugar plantation tour, he has other combinations including beach, hiking etc. I would recommend Gregs Safari Tour.

It did monsoon on the train for about 10 minutes so I stayed up on deck and got drenched while others deployed the plastic windows. However the sun cam out and I was dry again in minutes thanks to the natural 85 degree heat. Was really nice. You do get to see how some people live and it really makes you think. Some of their houses are squalid with an outside toilet, very little land and really does hammer home how lucky most people are.

Also just incase you are wondering St Kitts has nothing to do with Knight Rider.

We highly recommend Thenford Gray. Great tour guide and historian. We saw the fort, batik factory, toured the island with photo opp stops and also takes you to the beach. I left something very valuable on the bus and he met me in town and returned my wallet and refused any compensation. Made it back to the ship in plenty of time. Can't say enough.

Susan

We took a cab ($9 p/p) from the dock to Cockleshell Beach, a nice scenic cab ride and a beautiful beach. Snack bar, restrooms, chairs and umbrellas are available at reasonable fees.

Geron Hanley was our boisterous yet very entertaining cab driver, listen for the biggest mouth you can hear when leaving the dock, thats him, trying to drum up business. Anyway, he drove well and spoke freely, not a shy bone in his body.:)

Don't get a day pass....you can use the facilities for free. The only exception is that you can't use the pool. Although, the same masseuse I mentioned said that if you slip a hotel employee $10 or $20 dollars they will give you a hotel towel and you can then even use the pool.

Good grief! I suppose that you can also slip a buck to someone that will walk by the bar and grab someones drink for you while they are looking the other way.

What are your views concerning smuggling booze, getting a drink for someone on YOUR beverage package, tossing some shrimp in your pocketbook...oh wait, I bet I know...

I also recommend Thenford Grey We used him last year, and are going back in March. I've rebooked him again. There were 7 of us last year, and 9 this year, so he's again designing a tour just for us. But if it's just the 2 of you, then do his regular tour. Such a nice, honest man. And the island is beautiful. Love seeing where the 2 oceans come togehter, the monkeys, the beautiful beaches, the fort, the batki factory, etc, etc. It would be a shame just to walk around town or just go to the Marriott