Piano Bar Schedule (updated)

mhurdle127

for future reference, Barry from Boston has this posted on his website:

September 14 - November 16: MS EURODAM, Canada from NYC & Caribbean itineraries from Ft. Lauderdale. Includes the Malt Shop Memories cruise, with Dion, The Beach Boys, The Temptations, Martha Reeves, Joe Piscopo, and many more!

December 2014: SOPRANOS PIANO BAR, St. Maarten

January 13 - April 7, 2015: MS MAASDAM 10 & 11 day Caribbean cruises, plus the 49-day “Amazon Explorer” with 2 overnights in Rio!

May 2 - July 25, 2015: MS VEENDAM Boston-to-Quebec cruises, and the new Boston-to-Bermuda cruise, w/ 3 nights docked in Hamilton, Bermuda!

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see anywhere who will be playing in the Piano Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our T/A Oct 27 - Nov 9. There's a Leslie Launer listed, but for 1 week only in September, nobody else. Maybe DH will have to sit in for the missing entertainer!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We will be on her. Your comment sounds like a glowing recommendation. Something to look forward to. The piano players on our last few cruises have been duds.

Definitely a glowing recommendation! :D And I know what you mean about the duds -- I'm hoping not to get the same dud on the Noordam that I had last year.

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see anywhere who will be playing in the Piano Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our T/A Oct 27 - Nov 9. There's a Leslie Launer listed, but for 1 week only in September, nobody else. Maybe DH will have to sit in for the missing entertainer!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

No, you're not blind. This list is comprised of information that has been obtained by different posters through various methods. It's far from complete.

Definitely a glowing recommendation! :D And I know what you mean about the duds -- I'm hoping not to get the same dud on the Noordam that I had last year.

Mind sharing? If we are going to talk about our favourites, may as well talk about those we consider less than average ... the same way we do with cabins or meals ;)

When Jimmy Maddox is playing, go at least an hour early ... Maybe even earlier than that!

Oh my, I'd forgotten that he'd be back on the Nieuw Amsterdam this winter....I have a cruise on hold on Ryndam in February....maybe I'll consider changing. We really really enjoy Jimmy Maddox.

I guess it's "subjective", like food. We had Barry in Boston on either the Maasdam or Noordam this past winter. I didn't care for him at all. Creepy. The two we've enjoyed the most were had have been Jimmy Maddox and Mark Farris. David Anthony may have been the one we had on the Ryndam. He was good but the interaction with passengers missing.

What's the word on Michael Sara?

Edited by innlady1

Nothing at all about Ryndam - we will be on her in December.

I also remember Darryl with fondness. He was playing on the Statendam about three years ago, and he was really great. We used to stop by at the piano bar on our way to the show after dinner - and never made it to the show! He had music sheets which he handed out, and we all sang round the piano. It was such fun, the best entertainment to be had on a cruise. On the last but one night two singers from the shows joined us and gave an "impromptu" concert. The atmosphere was wonderful.

I don't think we'll have anything like that, but for us a good pianist at a relaxed piano bar is a real asset to a cruise.

I also remember Darryl with fondness. He was playing on the Statendam about three years ago, and he was really great.

I remember him well also, from Ryndam. Darryl had a group of regulars (that grew rapidly as the cruise progressed) and called us the "Derelicts" (Darryl-licks). Would love to hear him again someday.

Mind sharing? If we are going to talk about our favourites, may as well talk about those we consider less than average ... the same way we do with cabins or meals ;)

Olga Savage, who is a "fill-in", meaning that she fills-in during the periods between the contract entertainers.

Her singing was good and she was fun, but to me her repertoire was very limited and I got tired of hearing the same Jerry Lee Lewis, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, etc. songs every night.

I continued going because it was better than sitting in my cabin and watching a DVD, but I've heard much better. (Although I'll admit that my standards might be just a tad bit high!)

Nothing at all about Ryndam - we will be on her in December.

I also remember Darryl with fondness. He was playing on the Statendam about three years ago, and he was really great. We used to stop by at the piano bar on our way to the show after dinner - and never made it to the show! He had music sheets which he handed out, and we all sang round the piano. It was such fun, the best entertainment to be had on a cruise. On the last but one night two singers from the shows joined us and gave an "impromptu" concert. The atmosphere was wonderful.

I don't think we'll have anything like that, but for us a good pianist at a relaxed piano bar is a real asset to a cruise.

I agree with you. If I could ask a favor...after your cruise, will you post here who the pianist was - and if he/she will be on board in February? TIA!

I agree with you. If I could ask a favor...after your cruise, will you post here who the pianist was - and if he/she will be on board in February? TIA!

We'll also be on the Ryndam in December and hope we enjoy whoever is playing as the piano bar is usually one of our favorite evening stops. And I agree with Ruth about the difference between bar piano (cocktail hour) and a piano bar though we do like them both.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Just off Veendam with Barry from Boston piano player.A great entertainer.Can't understand what you thought was creepy about him.We all enjoyed the cruise & spent every night at the piano bar.Great fun.

We were on same Veendam cruise and thought Barry was by far the BEST entertainment on the ship.

Mickie:)

For those who enjoyed Mark Farris on the Maasdam, or perhaps other ships, here's a chance to catch his act if you live near New York.

Lucky you, you New Yorkers. You have the opportunity to go see Mark Farris of the Avenue Saloon perform without having to fly anywhere. Mark will be in NYC Nov 1 at the Metropolitan Room. See http://metropolitanroom.com/event.cfm?id=164971&cart for info.

I wonder if the drinks are "all-inclusive" like they are on Crystal...

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

An update* from Jimmy Maddox:-

• Oosterdam: 7 September to 4 December 2014 (7-night Alaska x 3, repositioning to Sydney, 14-night Australia/New Zealand x 3)
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 4 January to 28 March 2015 (7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 12)
  • Oosterdam: 10 May to 1 August 2015 (7-night alternating northbound/southbound Alaska x 12)
  • Eurodam: 7 September to 7 November 2015 (17-night westbound trans-Atlantic, 10-night Canada/New England, 14-night repo to Florida, ? two weeks Caribbean – no further details)

* His website has had a revamp - this is a new URL.

for future reference, Barry from Boston has this posted on his website:

I will do a search for that website. I am really hoping he will be on next summer's Voyage of the Vikings, but he may be going on vacation by then. The piano bar is pretty much the best entertainment sometimes and who is there makes a difference.

I've become fans of several groups/individuals I've seen on cruise ships and Barry sounds like a really good one. I am waiting for one of them to go back on a ship and will book whatever cruise that is since I don't live near the area he is performing now.

Thanks to the OP for keeping this record, much appreciated.

P.S. Rats! Just checked the website and it looks like his last day on the Veendam is the first day of our VOV.

Edited by HokiePoq

I have a serious Piano Bar question to those of you who seem to enjoy the entertainment there. In all of my HAL cruises, we have never actually been inside the Piano Bar. I've stood outside the door and listened for awhile, but never gone inside because there are never any open seats. How do you assure that if your favorite "piano man" is on your cruise that you actually get to "see" him or her?

you go early

Last 2 voyages we have been on the Volendam Glen Michael has been in the piano bar. He was terrific. Does anybody know if he still with HAL as last year after the LA to Sydney crossing he was getting married

we did the circumnavigation of Australia on Volendam late last year & Glen Michael was the piano player & he had indeed just got married.Had his wife with him some nights in piano bar.URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com]countdown.pl?image=australia&name=Swampy48&date=11-3-2014&text=&ship=Noordam[/url]

An update* from Jimmy Maddox:-

• Oosterdam: 7 September to 4 December 2014 (7-night Alaska x 3, 24/25-night repositioning to Sydney, 14-night Australia/New Zealand x 3)
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 4 January to 28 March 2015 (7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 12)
  • Oosterdam: 10 May to 1 August 2015 (7-night alternating northbound/southbound Alaska x 12)
  • Eurodam: 7 September to 7 November 2015 (17-night westbound trans-Atlantic, 10-night Canada/New England, 14-night Atlantic Coast repositioning to Florida, 7-night alternating eastern/western Caribbean x 3)

* His website has had a revamp - this is a new URL.

Re-posting this because the Caribbean itineraries in October/November 2015 have now been published.

A recent review seemed to indicate a John McD is currently on the Veendam.

Tone,

We were on the same cruise as you. It was our first cruise and we had a wonderful time. I agree with everything you said but I'd like to add a few things.

1-The staff were super nice. I was very impressed.

<snip>

5-I really enjoyed the entertainment, especially the two opera singers at the Showroom at Sea. Also the piano player at the piano bar (John McD?) was excellent.

6-The ports were interesting. My favorites were Bar Harbor, Charlottetown and, of course, Quebec City, a terrific place.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

• 3 weeks later...