Cruise Critic Community
Sparkygirl

USAA Travel insurance

I like the fact that USAA covers everything with their Travel insured plan.  I walk out of my house to go to the airport and it's covered.  Lodging is covered prior to the cruise.  The cruise is covered and my trip home via train is covered along with any additional motel stays.  Everything is covered from my beginning vacation date to my ending date.

As I understand it , other policies cover you only for the cruise itself.

I've had a couple small claims with TI, but have always had prompt and courteous, hassle free service.

I can't say enough about the USAA service!

Book early and get the free prior existing condition included.

I've even changed cruises after booking and they will transfer the policy to the new cruise.

I agree that the USAA (TI) trip insurance is great and use it regularly. What I'm not clear on though is that, for the medical coverage (i.e., sickness, injury or repatriation) etc.; Is the USAA/TI the 'secondary payer'? In other words, would those of us on TRICARE medical plans for example need to submit any medical claims to TRICARE first, before TI will pay the claim?

Also agree that purchasing early to get the pre-existing condition waiver is important to us.

Edited by KroozNut

On 4/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, KroozNut said:

I agree that the USAA (TI) trip insurance is great and use it regularly. What I'm not clear on though is that, for the medical coverage (i.e., sickness, injury or repatriation) etc.; Is the USAA/TI the 'secondary payer'? In other words, would those of us on TRICARE medical plans for example need to submit any medical claims to TRICARE first, before TI will pay the claim?

Also agree that purchasing early to get the pre-existing condition waiver is important to us.

My recollection is that the claim form requests information on other insurance.  How that plays out is not stated.

Last month had to cancel a transatlantic cruise two week before sailing for a medical reason and USAA (TI) promptly paid almost $10K covering the cruise and airfare.  The rest, such as hotel and excursions, were refunded or canceled without penalty.  As we get "more mature" the premiums, which are age based, are increasingly expensive but still well worth the cost.  Requiring hospitalization (cruise lines will kick you off in the first port) ashore in an unexpected location, medivac to the US, etc., can be extremely expensive.  So we will continue to purchase travel insurance despite the cost approaching 9 percent of the price of the trip.

@Pluto_fan is correct, that insurance vendor is very knowledgeable and has a multitude of insurance options. The owner did a very interesting Q&A here last fall that was very informative.

All our main policies have been with USAA for decades, but I am not familiar with their travel insurance. I use the Chase sapphire travel credit card that gives me a *lot* of travel benefits including some pretty decent travel insurance that is free when I have booked the travel with the card (although  most travel cards only offer lost baggage coverage).