UK Cruisers booking via US agency?

Good morning all,

Can any experienced cruisers advise regarding potential benefits/pitfalls of booking a cruise (FOS Western Caribbean 2015) through a US travel agency? I'm aware of a particular online agency that many cruisers have referenced, and certainly their prices look competitive, but are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thank you so much for any info you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good morning all,

Can any experienced cruisers advise regarding potential benefits/pitfalls of booking a cruise (FOS Western Caribbean 2015) through a US travel agency? I'm aware of a particular online agency that many cruisers have referenced, and certainly their prices look competitive, but are there any issues I should be aware of?

I've done this a few times with no real issues. The points you need to keep in mind are:

1. Although you lock in the price in USD, the £ price can change between booking and final payment through exchange rate movements. This can go both ways, so consider if the price would still be OK if the exchange rate went against you.

2. The oft-quoted ABTA benefits of booking in the UK. In practice these are minor if you have decent travel insurance.

Against this the benefits are:

1. You sghould always get some benefit from the TA, e.g. OBC.

2. Cancel up to final payment with no penalty.

3. Price adjustments without any quibble.

These are great tips, thank you. I was concerned that the ability to cancel or the price drop perk may not apply as we are UK based.

Thanks again :)

Hi. Which agency are you referring to? I'm looking to book our first cruise next year and I've read a lot about "not residents" of USA not being alloved to book cruise through USA TA. However, there are ways and since there is no case of cruiser being refused to board, I'm thinking of taking a risk. Many thanks

Hi, I haven't mentioned the agency name as I believe that isn't permitted on the forum (is that correct cc'ers?) but the agency I'm looking at has a phone number for UK cruisers and converts the price to GBP so I'm assuming they welcome UK Customers.

:)

I understand you can't mention TA.

On "Find Cruise" section here on CC there are 8 sites where you can compare prices. Would agency you have in mind be one of them? You can just say Yes or No, no need to mention which one. I'm looking for RCCL Western Caribbean on Freedom of The Seas in Feb-15. Thanks all

Edited by Nataly1982

Not 100% sure of Royal Caribbean's policy, however, Cunard requires that UK residents cannot book through a US agency. There are ways to get around this-you would need to have a long term US visa and a permanent US address...for example perhaps one belonging to a family member.

Depends on the agency and the cruise line though, you may not have an issue!

Good morning all,

I book 95% of my cruises with a USA TA, I check out prices on RCCL.COM and then email my USA TA to book it, I have always had good service with price drops, cancelations, OBC and any problems I have and she is available 7 days a week.

I have travelled on two cruises booked through an online US agency they are well known for their cruise vacations as others above have mentioned they have a 0800 number from UK. We have a third booked. I was going to wait and book last minute as I did not know what our plans would be in 2015, however I could not resist the BOGOH and thought I can always cancel and get my deposit back if we have to cancel. Saved £350pp booking with US site over UK.

Pay using credit cards for extra protection.

I have travelled on two cruises booked through an online US agency they are well known for their cruise vacations as others above have mentioned they have a 0800 number from UK. We have a third booked. I was going to wait and book last minute as I did not know what our plans would be in 2015, however I could not resist the BOGOH and thought I can always cancel and get my deposit back if we have to cancel. Saved £350pp booking with US site over UK.

Pay using credit cards for extra protection.

after many cruises and resisting the urge to book via a US TA, we also could not resist the BOGOH not available to us UK peps - so took the plunge. Cant believe we saved about £700 total ($1150 ish). Lets hope it all works out! Really helpful and nice TA too.

If it works, we will not be booking direct with RCI again, especially given the rubbish customer service now available to UK passengers. :mad:

Jean :)

Good morning all,

I always book with a US travel agent and have always had a good experience over 15 cruises.

My upcoming cruise on Adventure of the Seas is £392 per person (inc tax but not tips) if booked with a US travel agent or £549 per person if booked in the UK.

I agree about market forces and different economic markets and customer bases/types etc. which people go on about on here, but I do still think we get ripped off in the UK

Do you know what . . . . . I was going to put the end bit of my US travel agent reservation info on here but I thought I would get flamed (as I have been a few times over the past several weeks unfairly).

The flaming I see on CC intimidated me into keeping the last bit of info to myself because, I feel it's too good to be true so I assumed that people would on here and would flame me and/or tell that can't be the case or I'm making it up.

I know I'm having a rant now (sorry) but CC sometimes makes me feel unhappy.

My last piece of information was. - if you refer to my post above and the prices, the US TA also gave us $350 OBC on a $1300 booking :-)

We had a great deal too with a US travel agent. £1300 quoted by leading British TA per person, compared to £620.00 US travel agent- needless to say who we booked with. We also received $75.00 OBC. Will definitely be booking again, excellent service, excellent price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

also booked with us agent opposed to irish agency, reason being i can cancel free of charge if necessary and get deposit back....also due to massive savings....just hope i get to board lol

Edited by GemApril2015

Yes the TA I used in America also told me she checked with RCI and was assured I would be fine and I was definitely entitled to the second person half price deal too. I'd say we saved over €400. Happy days are you from Ireland too?

Yes the TA I used in America also told me she checked with RCI and was assured I would be fine and I was definitely entitled to the second person half price deal too. I'd say we saved over €400. Happy days are you from Ireland too?

Happy Days!! Enjoy your cruise. Regards from Dublin ;)

Another Irish cruiser here. We've just booked our first cruise with a US TA and were able to upgrade our stateroom to a balcony when there was a price drop which is great. No OBC from this TA though so still on the hunt for one that will give some other perks

Next cruise: Oasis of the Seas 12-night Westbound Transatlantic 15.10.2014

Another Irish cruiser here. We've just booked our first cruise with a US TA and were able to upgrade our stateroom to a balcony when there was a price drop which is great. No OBC from this TA though so still on the hunt for one that will give some other perks

That's cool! Wondering how these upgrades work. Do you monitor your cruise regulary (at least weekly) and when higher category has a good price you call TA and upgrade? Or do they inform you when price drop?

We have gone ahead and booked FOS for August 2015 via the US travel agent, and they were very helpful. They said that if we keep an eye out for a price drop and we see a drop or promotion that may favour us, let him know and he will liaise with RCI to see what can be done. I am happy to monitor myself, as it would be very time consuming for the agents to monitor all cruise lines on behalf of all customers, after all if they did that, they may have to put their prices up! I'm happy with our initial price, as booking our 4 cabins (there are 2 families of 4 travelling) would have cost an additional £1200 with a UK travel agent. We also got $300 OBC for the group, which is a nice bonus.

We have gone ahead and booked FOS for August 2015 via the US travel agent, and they were very helpful. They said that if we keep an eye out for a price drop and we see a drop or promotion that may favour us, let him know and he will liaise with RCI to see what can be done. I am happy to monitor myself, as it would be very time consuming for the agents to monitor all cruise lines on behalf of all customers, after all if they did that, they may have to put their prices up! I'm happy with our initial price, as booking our 4 cabins (there are 2 families of 4 travelling) would have cost an additional £1200 with a UK travel agent. We also got $300 OBC for the group, which is a nice bonus.

Well done. That's great but also such a rip,off for us in the UK and ireland that if people don't know they pay way over the odds

We monitor the price ourselves - there's two websites we use that email us when there's price drops - I think Cruise Critic have just launched their own version of this.

I rang the travel agent who contacted RC to get us the change in cabin. We thought we'd have to pay a bit extra but when the balcony discount was applied it was cheaper!