BARCELONA PORT - Information

CRUISEFAN0001

Is your hotel not able to offer any assistance? It would seem in extreme circumstances they could step in and give some advice on a solution.

Barcelona has not been as speedy as Madrid to modify most of its stations and often elevators are only operational in some entrances to each metro. So, if a station has 8 to 10 entrances only one is fully equipped.

There are so many variables not knowing your exact location, but there are several bus routes including the D20 and H14 and 20 that get you almost right to where the blue port bus leaves from. You then do not have the added issue of maneuvering the metro stations and platforms and stairs.

I always use the 20 from the port up into the city if I am overnighting and the D20 if I am transferring to the airport. This might help some others.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus/-/bus/20

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus/-/bus/D20/detall-n/dia-FEINER

I am happy you have the option to go back and collect your bags and take a taxi the next day. I see there is a Costa and Princess ship in on the 1st and they will have delays.

Another factor to consider is that the port may experience disruptions with disembarkation if there are no taxis on the arrival of 3 ships that morning.

Actually, it was the hotel who offered to arrange a "grey cab" for us to get us to the port... However, the cab then cancelled the booking because they were afraid of violence. It's only a tiny hotel and they have no other suggestions at all!

We are very close to the University area and the metro so can manage that, but not with all our luggage. What we can take is on wheels. The metro closest to us has elevators.

We'll manage it somehow. We overnight once on the ship so we have the luxury of waiting till the cab strike is over before collecting the rest of the luggage. I think it is going to be a difficult day for those disembarking AND embarking.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the many contributions in this thread.

There is a great amount of superb information here for those of us planning a visit to Barcelona. In our case...several days of sightseeing prior to a cruise based there will be a memorable experience.

All of the useful Barcelona details mentioned in various posts here will help to maximize this experience.

I've scanned through the posts but didn't notice times that check in begins in BCN? Anyone have an idea? Asking for someone else..not on CC.

Their flight lands at 0930 and they're hoping to see a little if the city before sailing ..

Thanks!

Allure on 5/31/15 leaves at 7pm....so boarding will likely be completed by 5:30pm that day.

As NCL Epic is in at 5 AM at T-A and then Liberty in by 6 AM at T-B, 10:30 would be the earliest the actual check-in would start. RCI has a fleet-wide standard of cabins open at 1 PM though even if passengers board early.

As both ships would have all baggage off by 9:00, the Terminal B baggage handlers would take bags from early arriving passengers. Bags are left prior to entering the terminal where carry on bags are screened right at the entrance and medical forms are filled out prior to the waiting room for check-in to open.

They would need to take their carry on with them if wanting to leave the ship prior to 1 PM unless they can gain access early, but would not be burdened with checked luggage.

Yes, what they're wondering is what time they can check in and then head into the city for a few hrs. Is 10:30 too early to expect check in available?

Possibly. I know we were able to check in a little after 11am.

In general....Royal Caribbean targets 60 minutes prior to departure as the final boarding deadline.

On one cruise, we observed a 90-minute (prior to departure) deadline.

All that said...since this is a Barcelona port information thread that appears to be slightly derailed off topic...

Question: Are terminals A & B essentially the same?

[since they will use both for Allure next year just like they did for Oasis this year...curious of the boarding experience will be the same in both locations]

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Question: Are terminals A & B essentially the same?

[since they will use both for Allure next year just like they did for Oasis this year...curious of the boarding experience will be the same in both locations]

A, B and even C are now basically the same. D seems to vary somewhat.

Boarding experience from A and B are identical and have both gotten the latest upgrades in services and amenities.

• 4 months later...

I read somewhere that the security at the Barcelona port has tighten and now only authorized vehicles are allowed to drive into the terminal area. So if the shuttle you booked taking you from the port to the airport is not an authorized vehicle, then you need to drag your luggage from the exit of the ship to the outside of the terminal to meet your driver.

Does anyone know if this is true? Anyone recently disembarked at the Barcelona port and experienced this situation?

I booked with BCN.Travel for a private shuttle to the airport, and according to them "The driver will wait with a sign with your name just outside the terminal." I wonder "outside the terminal" meant right after we exit the ship or all the way outside the terminal exit.

I read somewhere that the security at the Barcelona port has tighten and now only authorized vehicles are allowed to drive into the terminal area. So if the shuttle you booked taking you from the port to the airport is not an authorized vehicle, then you need to drag your luggage from the exit of the ship to the outside of the terminal to meet your driver.

Does anyone know if this is true? Anyone recently disembarked at the Barcelona port and experienced this situation?

I booked with BCN.Travel for a private shuttle to the airport, and according to them "The driver will wait with a sign with your name just outside the terminal." I wonder "outside the terminal" meant right after we exit the ship or all the way outside the terminal exit.

I'd contact BCN Travel. They are probably authorized.

I did contact them and their reply was "your driver will wait for you outside the terminal", so not very clear. I e-mailed them again to clarify and they has not replied yet.

We just got a regular taxi last year. There was a line of them right outside the terminal. I'm sure reserved transportation has their own area. I just don't remember seeing it.

The comment that was posted that I have read was from a passenger doing a local tour in Barcelona. Her driver had informed her that she must make her way outside the port area.

I have not been able to find any information on this yet and have read no local articles about 'tightened security'

The only thing that has happened was that a judge put a 'temporary' ban on private vehicles providing transportation in all of Spain in December that affected services such as UBER among others. Barcelona is in the process of changing transportation laws and they have not completed the process.

Madrid has imposed fines not only for driving a UBER vehicle, but for being a passenger. They are so steep that no-one would take the risk at around 4000 euros.

Transportation ministers have been siding with the established taxi system, while economic ministers have come down on the side of UBER and the situation is not settled as far as I know.

As the target of these proceedings has been UBER, it is hard to know how this might effect other transportation providers.

Related information for those planning airport transfers.

The fixed price for authorized taxis between the port and the airport has been set for 2015 at 39 euros and includes all charges.

http://www.amb.cat/documents/336719/397302/Tarifa+Taxi+2015_web/ec201f8f-3229-45c0-b9a3-18cafbf74942

A budget option can be of interest to those traveling solo and who are able to manage their baggage. The total cost is 10.05 euro per passenger and takes around 35 to 45 minutes total to airport.

T3 Blue Port Bus 2 euro 5 minutes with great frequency just outside each terminal. Pre-sales in line during peak times for easy boarding. Otherwise drive accepts euro cash.

cross over to Les Drassanes bus stop for bus D20. Flat surface with secure crossing. 2 minutes

D20 Blue bus 2.15 euro up to Plaza Espana stop on circle. 8th stop. 12 minutes. Bus every 6 to 9 minutes after 06:50 AM (every 20 minutes from 05:00) . Euro cash, reasonable change given.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/linia-de-bus

A1/A2 Airport busses, A1 to Terminal 1 or A2 to Terminal 2 5.90 euro direct from stop to terminal with very high frequency every 5 minutes. 15 minutes.

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/espanya-to-airport#locmap

Having done some research prior to booking Allure next year out of Barcelona, Spain...some post-booking thoughts/questions came to mind:

1) Most reports are that the Port itself is one of the better ones in Europe - both in terms of how it operates as well as passenger experience.

If anyone who has used the Barcelona port on their cruise...sharing your experience in a post here would be appreciated.

2) After having a terrific (and efficient) Oasis boarding/disembarking experience in FLL, and also a terrible one in Ballantyne Pier in Vancouver...there is plenty of variety for this important part of a cruise.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

As a Vancouverite I apologize for Ballantyne (which is now gone). However, I'd like to ask if it was embarkation or disembarkation that was poor; so often I hear about issues boarding at Vancouver, and most of the time it's the United States CBP that you must pass through prior to boarding, and as a Canadian we have no control over that.

Back to Barcelona, we've used to both start a cruise, and as a stop mid-cruise; so here are my answers

How well-run is the Barcelona terminal facility itself?

It was well organized, never any issues

Are the Platinum, Diamond, etc. passenger boarding lines well-run in terms of time and efficiency?

Last time the regular line ups were so short we didn't bother with the Elite lineups

How is the post-cruise baggage pickup handled in terms of time and ease?

We've only boarded, so can't comment

How is transportation to and from the terminal (congested, efficient, etc.)?

We used the blue port bus to/from the port to the Columbus statue every time; runs every 15 mins or so, couple of Euro. Other than that, always used the Barcelona Metro which is cheap and quick. (Dransannes station on L3 is basically across the traffic circle from the port bus stop, and Paral-lel station (which is on L2 which heads straight to Sagrada Familia) is a couple of blocks further. The T10 (10 pack ticket) is a real deal.

Edited by scottbee

• 2 weeks later...
I did contact them and their reply was "your driver will wait for you outside the terminal", so not very clear. I e-mailed them again to clarify and they has not replied yet.

I've booked them too for our group of 11. Wondering if we should all just get taxi's on the day of disembarkation just in case - I cant seek us all lugging our luggage to outside the terminal. Being a newbie in Barcelona, I am worried as our flight is at 10:30 - hoping everyone is capable of self disembark.