Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Someone asked about which room I have.... 2560..... I

No days of the week in the lifts..... :(

Park West are on board polluting the air......

Have finally written up yesterday's adventure. Will post the pics with the story..... have to upload them first......

Any questions? Please ask!!

WIll be able to use the mobile again tomorrow once we reach Latvia. I have the RCL Jewish Tour of Riga booked.

Were the bathroom amenties were there when you arrived? Still have a dispenser of mystery liquid in the shower?

Yeap. Yeap..... I think there's stuff in there.... not about to try it.... :eek:

Sitting in Latte-tudes uploading pics listening to a beautiful guitarist.....

Yeap. Yeap..... I think there's stuff in there.... not about to try it.... :eek:

Sitting in Latte-tudes uploading pics listening to a beautiful guitarist.....

Very nice of them to supply the amenities. Very jealous, I really miss that ship.

No Friday night service laid on..... nothing in the Compass..... sad about that... Chef's Table tonight.... we've had the M&M which was really well attended..... 79 had signed up for it! was wonderful to put faces to the names. Held in Viking Crown which really needs to be renamed...... Izumi has taken over....

Formal night. There is a short aerial show in the Centrum which I will miss.... was not announced in Compass but was mentioned in the morning show....

Upload speed isn't too bad..... if anyone wants to know what it is tell me how to do that....

No Captain's corner. No Behind the Scenes Tour.

No Friday night service laid on..... nothing in the Compass..... sad about that... Chef's Table tonight.... we've had the M&M which was really well attended..... 79 had signed up for it! was wonderful to put faces to the names. Held in Viking Crown which really needs to be renamed...... Izumi has taken over....

Formal night. There is a short aerial show in the Centrum which I will miss.... was not announced in Compass but was mentioned in the morning show....

Upload speed isn't too bad..... if anyone wants to know what it is tell me how to do that....

No Captain's corner. No Behind the Scenes Tour.

Hi Linda, just jumping in to say hello, loving your blog as usual! So glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Hope all is with you and your family! Love your new photo in your posts.

Rhonda

Heading back to Legend.

Mission accomplished.

What an extraordinary, depressing yet uplifting day. Well worth the travelling time. My guide is exceptional and will post all details in due course. Awesome drive and tour.

And I spat on the ground over where Hitler's bunker was. Result.

Well done Linda, good on ya!! Loving the trip you're taking us on :D

Like your review/blog so far. It will be a year next week that I was sailing on her.

Interesting that you note the bread was left on the table. Another part of the "cruise experience" that is vanishing. Please let us know if that is the case for each meal.

Like your review/blog so far. It will be a year next week that I was sailing on her.

Interesting that you note the bread was left on the table. Another part of the "cruise experience" that is vanishing. Please let us know if that is the case for each meal.

Same for each meal.....

I don’t know where to begin really with a full update on today. They opened the gangway earlier than I was expecting so I was off at 715. The great thing about being on Deck 2 is that the gangways is one floor down! Met Henry who was there with a board with my name on. Lovely large 7 seater van. My limited German is put to very good use and by the time we hit the city we’re chatting away like old friends.

WP_001000.jpg

DSCN0003.jpg

We meet my guide, Heidi, around 945. The drive has been easy, uneventful and, as you will have read already, speedy. Heidi is accompanied by Daisy, a little brown dog who is gentle, smart and almost adorable as the dog I have left at home. Daisy comes with us practically everywhere and most off the time off lead. If we are in a food shop she sits outside. Or she is carried. I’ve never seen anything like her before. Sprightly and super friendly. Ok enough canine enthusing.

DSCN0004.jpg

This is only some of what I have done today. So much. Soo very much in 6 hours.

Where we meet is in what was East Germany. Through a gap in a fence I can see the remains of a watch tower and some wall. Heidi explains that we are standing in what was once no-mans land. I am already transported back in time.

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

First stop is a synagogue. Since the terrorist act at the Munich Olympics all buildings with Jewish connections are guarded by Police. Some have added Israeli plain clothed security too.

DSCN0012.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

Their own coffee shop

DSCN0016.jpg

I'll follow up on my return with translations....

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

Contd....

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

We visit a school which has now become a Jewish Cultural centre. Then a street with a hospital, a heavily fortified and guarded Jewish boys school and a cemetery in front of which is one of the many holocaust memorials. The cemetery was totally desecrated by the ****s and the occupants replaced by Christian deceased. It has been totally flattened and resembles a lonely green plant covered field. There is one stone which is a replica of one which had been there. It is dedicated to the memory of Moses Mendelssohn, a philosopher from the 18th Century who has been credited as being the founder of Reform Judaism.

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

A syngagoue built by Otto von Bismark; somehow it survived the desecration of other buildings by the ****s due to this connection…. it still bears the scars of having been bombed by the British.

DSCN0040.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

A memorial to the non-Jewish wives of Jewish men. Their men had been removed to a Concentration camp and their resilience and persistence enabled the men to be released.

DSCN0044.jpg

The brush factory of Otto Weidt. This story is way too important for me to précis here. The Museum dedicated to the blind and partially sighted workers is detailed first-of-all. Totally inspirational and awe inspiring. I am heartened to see German schoolchildren being told his story of bravery in the face such devastation.

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

Contd....

DSCN0057.jpg

A stairwell with the names of all those survived as a result.

DSCN0058.jpg

School children can interact with screens and learn more about the events surrounding what occurred here.

DSCN0059.jpg

We head to an altogether different neighbourhood with the most extraordinary architecture and design.

DSCN0060.jpg

A world renowned tile manufacturer

DSCN0061.jpg

Contd

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

We pass a long stretch of the ‘Berlin wall’ which has been preserved and graffiti-ed to tell the story of its destruction. I have a video of that drive by here and will post on my return.

DSCN0073.jpg

A memorial to a woman cradling a man. She is open to the elements.

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

Loving the trip!

Could you please tell me the name and contact of the people you used for your day to Berlin.

Thanks

Raina

Heidileyton@gmail.com

Henry works for 'The Berlin Expert' Jeremy Minsberg who wasn't able to guide me himself so introduced me to Heidi. www.theberlinexpert.com

Pulling in to Riga which is in Lithuania according to the TV channel 40. Mobile company charging me for Europe. Currency Euros too.

Hi Rhonda! 90 Israelis on board and I only heard them yesterday! ;)