Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

It's a good day when you book a new cruise.....11 nights on the Epic next Feb.

Finding a cruise review by Megacruiser, that makes it a great day.

Hi,

I could not agree with you more. We are also cruising in February 2016. Just like you I read the reviews by Megacruiser and WOW what excellent reviews. You just want to catch the next Epic cruise. Thanks again Megacruise. Keep up the good work

Hi Thanks for the review, I look forward. we have provisionally booked a Canaries and Morocco cruise over Christmas and I had some concerns reading the reviews how busy it is going to be especially in the Garden caffe. Could someone clarify if any of the speciality restaurants are free and/ or what are the charges. Many Thanks and all the Best with the cruise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CagneysSteakhouseMenu-1_zps2d823a9c.jpg

Tonight I had booked dinner at Cagney's Steakhouse. I have always been disappointed with steak houses at sea, so my expectations were pretty low...

The delicious loaf placed before me could have easily filled me up, but I try to control how much bread I eat...

Superb bread...

DSCF0873-1_zpsd51ae9e3.jpg

Shrimp Cocktail...

DSCF0880-1-2_zps20e4dee4.jpg

When I carried out some essential food research prior to my trip, the Shrimp Cocktail with Jack Daniels-laced sauce had received some pretty positive comments. Could a drop of Tennessee’s-finest really elevate the ubiquitous Prawn Cocktail? A little, I suppose, but it was not a major leap - and only three shrimp... seriously? Good job I was having four courses...

Baked Potato Soup...

DSCF0884-1_zpsb7a4dec6.jpg

Now the Baked Potato Soup was a different story. Sounds bland and unexciting yet the finished dish was quite delicious and rather more refined than one might expect... recommended!

Succulent seared steak...

DSCF0885-1_zpsb38b6c26.jpg

Then, onto the main event... I sought, and accepted, the waiter's recommendation - New York Strip. He described it as a "special" but I note it is listed on the published menu. This cut had always proved to be a safe bet when eating in some of Florida's better steak houses...

It was cooked as I like; medium rare. The flavour of my first bite was truly superb; it had been optimally cooked because the unique mouth-watering-quality caused by the maillard effect was very strongly in evidence. Unfortunately it was also rather chewy... such a shame. Still, it was my tastiest grilled-steak at sea to date; and a far cry from my recent experience on the Oasis, where the Filet Mignon tasted of nothing... The accompanying Gratin Potatoes and Roast Mushrooms were both delicious...

Warm Apple Cardamom Crisp

DSCF0890-1-2_zps06224f5b.jpg

Finally dessert, and the Warm Apple Cardamom Crisp was simply an Apple Crumble by another name; not sophisticated cooking, but satisfying, comfort food that took me back to my mother's traditional home-made version in the sixties - served then, of course, with lashings of custard. As I hadn't managed to eat a lot of the steak, this potentially heavy conclusion to the meal, was tucked away post haste and without leaving me feeling bloated.

I had only planned to visit Cagney's once, but both the beautiful flavour of the steak and the overall quality of the meal was such, I booked a follow-up visit for my second last night, dispensing with any notion of sampling La Cucina, the Italian restaurant, which has received almost universally mediocre reviews...

looks divine- we are booked at Cagney's on Christmas Eve!

Still reading - loving this review and amazing photos!

After reading my cabin is fine.

I'm loving doing research as going solo can present some problems with dining, mostly buffet. Add a service dog to the equation and it can be quite a feat. Also the comments on where to go for quiet and shade are so helpful. Shade is real important for my dog. At least I'm going in mid-January, so not as hot.

Still reading! Thank you so much. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...