Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Lots of chairs with views towards the balcony and the sea...

EpicSpaChairsSweeping-0180-10_zpsfee87573.jpg

Not quite such an abundance of heated chaise longue – I counted only nine...

EpicSpaHotChairsLong-0183-12_zps6b603f7d.jpg

EpicSpaHotChairs-6454-3-2_zps5cb0df41.jpg

EpicSpaHotChairsSweeping-0182-11_zpsdcf157f9.jpg

The six prized outdoor padded-loungers...

EpicSpaChairsOutside-6451-2-2_zps31b342c1.jpg

Sat here gazing aft, was one of the most peaceful and relaxing experiences of the cruise...

EpicSpaOneChairOutsideWake-6467-17-2_zps767a65b1.jpg

These are accessed from the main seating area...

The traditional Sauna with pleasant sea view...

EpicSpaSauna-6460-5_zps1a999ad3.jpg

The Sanarium seems to be a less hot version of the same thing...

EpicSpaSanarium-6458-4_zps8cef514c.jpg

The relaxation room beside the pool area...

EpicMandaraSpaRelaxationRoom_zpsf2066c78.jpg

Next up - the Fitness Centre...

Edited by megacruiser
extra photo

Thank you very much for your post about the Mandara Spa!

Do you perhaps also know how much a weekly pass would cost now?

My pleasure and thanks for posting. Yes, it's $199 for the week. Do remember when doing the sums that most people don't use it on the first day. I considered the week but was happy with the one day. Of course my cruise was busier than normal, since I was taking photos much of the time. Do bear in mind also that this is a port-intensive cruise and tiring if you do all the major sightseeing.

The UDP I would regard as better value. The UBP is becoming very marginal for me, after the recent price hike.

Regards

megacruiser

My pleasure and thanks for posting. Yes, it's $199 for the week. Do remember when doing the sums that most people don't use it on the first day. I considered the week but was happy with the one day. Of course my cruise was busier than normal, since I was taking photos much of the time. Do bear in mind also that this is a port-intensive cruise and tiring if you do all the major sightseeing.

The UDP I would regard as better value. The UBP is becoming very marginal for me, after the recent price hike.

Regards

megacruiser

Someone made a spreadsheet listing all of the drinks:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042900

We did an estimate, and my wife and I could not break even even if we would drink twice as much as we normally do.

As for the UDP, we probably aren't going to take it. It's our first cruise with NCL, so we really want to try out all of the complimentary dining venues. After that, there are not many days left then to take advantage of the UDP. We did book La Cucina on the last sea day.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the UDP!

Do bear in mind also that this is a port-intensive cruise and tiring if you do all the major sightseeing.

Sure, but not as port intensive as our 7 day East Mediterranean cruise we did last year on MSC Divina... we were exhausted, especially since MSC wanted us out of the room by 7AM.

In fact, we expect Palma de Mallorca and Cannes to be rather 'slow' days - nothing planned there either. We're happy these ports are at the end of the cruise, give us the chance to catch our breath and relax.

Edited by WouterC

Are the Sauna and steam room unisex?

Hello again. The Steam Room was within the men's changing area, so I assume one for each. The Sauna and Sanarium, just off the seating area, appear to be unisex, but I saw no one in there, or signs to the contrary...

Regards

megacruiser

Hi enjoying your review.

We're doing this trip on 6th July so eager to hear your do's and don'ts .

It should save us time figuring out what we are meant to be doing as this is our first time on a cruise.

Getting so excited just want it to come round quicker.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying your review, and your personal photographs just bring it all home and make it seem more real! I can't wait to see the others, but I wanted to thank you regarding Mandara Spa, because I want to get at least one spa day pass when I get my (probably one) treatment). It's pricey, but I'm trying to budget in advance to have one at least one experience. Keep the pics coming!

The Pulse Fitness Centre is located forward, beyond reception. The usual assortment of high-tech equipment is on display; and some keen individuals were actively using it. Sadly, it’s not for me, as I suffer from an acute medical condition, PPP - psychologically-induced physical-exertion phobia. :)

EpicFitnessCentreEntrance-6479-19-2_zps8a0cd9ff.jpg

Cross-trainers, Treadmills, Exercise Cycles and Rowing Machines...

EpicFitnessCentreCrossTrainers-6481-20_zps9ae4eed1.jpg

Weight Machines...

EpicFitnessCentreWeightMachines-6482-21_zps1b98c3a9.jpg

Free Weights...

EpicFitnessCentreFreeWeights-6484-22_zps426c3e7e.jpg

Foot spa in the Beauty Salon...

EpicSpaSalonFootSpaSeats-6478-18-2_zpsdd962b4c.jpg

Too many photos of the open decks to sort and edit for the next batch, so it will have to wait till tomorrow now... Also coming is my review of Le Bistro, which I have yet to write. That’s the venue serving the best food I experienced on board...

Thanks to everyone following and for your encouragement and enthusiasm. It really keeps the motivation going.

Following & waiting to here about peaceful nice seating outside on deck reviews.. I was debating posh passes but unsure if mum would join me as she nit a sun queen & prefers shade.

Thanks. See response to WouterC's reply below.

Reagrds

megacruiser

Hi Megacruiser,

I'm making a couple of 'cheat sheets' (I got most of the tips from CruiseCritic threads), perhaps they can be useful for you?

Two tips I collected for good 'lounger' locations:

• "There's an awesome out-of-the-way place for shaded lounging... under the sports deck starboard aft."
  • "The public sun decks on 1 8 are virtually empty, even when the pool is full ( seating for about 100 people)."

Thanks foor the info.

Yes the first one has nice comfy chairs, not loungers, but feels a bit enclosed.

The second one is undoubtedly true. I cannot imagine a difficlty getting a lounger up there but , in the shade, is probably much more difficult; and only likely in the early morning or later afternoon when the sun is lower.

Regards

megacruiser

Hey, I am sorry you where dissapointed with Posh, To me it was money well spent. I was on the same sailing that's me in the picture on the double sun lounger, Blue shorts , yes the sail away was extremely busy due to the heaven guests sail away party held there. It is the only time that they allow kids there as well. There was no sail away in Rome.I was there everyday for the week ,it was great nice and quite and loads of loungers available and not as noisy as sail-away. They would often come around with ice cold towels, fruit skewers etc. It was great for me as i wasnt doing any tours, just coming and going as i please.

PS- I had my key encoded to use the heaven lift to access posh but it was hit and miss, even heaven guests had trouble.

Looking forward to your next installment :)

Keith

Thanks for posting this. Fair point about the Haven Party so maybe unduly busy. The limited shade was still an issue. I can well understand that those who want to be near the action, but with more space and comfort, would find this value. However if you want to lie in the sun, there is a free option that is as comfortable and much more peaceful. Will cover in the next part of my review today, with photos.

Regards

megacruiser

Sorry Nancy, I don't recall seeing a hair dryer... I am sure someone out there can answer this one for you...

Regards

megacruiser

Hi,

my group had 3 studios on the Epic in May - none had hair dryers, but room steward brings them when requested.

Other info on this board was that there have been hair dryers in the cabin.

In any case, ask and you shall receive ;)

Cheers,

Sandra

As part of the Deck Tours, I have decided to group together all the outdoor deck spaces. As is normal on most ships, the space immediately adjacent to the main pool area is like prime real estate - in strong demand but in short supply. Market forces work as normal and the price to be paid is the need to claim your preferred location early or compromise on a lesser spot that is not so ideal. One thing is for sure, if you want to lie in the direct sun you will never have difficulty finding a spot. The best fallback position is on Deck 18, where there are so many spare deck chairs they don't even remove them from their stacked storage position.

EpicDeck15PlanForwasrdElevators-1-1_zpsb7cf0e69.jpg

Starting aft at Spice H2O, looking down from Spice H2o Pool Bar and Grill on Deck 16...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OWideLookingAft-1-2_zpsc328301b.jpg

Reverse angle looking back up...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OWideLookingForward-3-2_zpse20486ed.jpg

From edge of pool looking forward...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OForwardfromStern-1-2_zps99ad22de.jpg

Bathers in pool...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OPoolForwardtoPort-1-2_zpsf235bb9c.jpg

Wide angle shot of chairs around pool facing screen...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OWideLookingForward-2-2_zps549a79da.jpg

Bridge on Deck 16 overlooking stairs and entrance to Spice H2O below...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OUpperAcroosStairs-1-2_zps6550b8bc.jpg

Sports Court upstairs on Deck 17...

EpicDeck17SportsCourtBasketball-1-2_zps07e104f3.jpg

As you go back down to exit Spice, you go through a passageway called the Marketplace, where trestle tables are set up when trading; selling all the usual shipboard tat and once-in-a-lifetime blowout-sales...

Marketplace...

EpicDeck15SpiceH2OWideLookingForward-1-2_zps3fa54d2e.jpg

Straight ahead you come to the Kid’s Aqua Park, so you have to go round either to the left or right...

EpicDeck15KidAquaParkFromMarketplace-1-2_zps4b1d1289.jpg

EpicKidAquaParkLookingAftFromPoolEnd-1-2_zps558001d1.jpg

If you go left, then turn, you see this view towards the video arcade and on the extreme right is the secluded shaded seating area in an enclosed section with sea views but table tennis nearby can spoil the tranquillity...

EpicDeck15LookingAftPortSideTowardsShelteredSeating-1-2_zps5cbcff66.jpg

Turning forward again the Epic Plunge water slide has a large circular basin that is propped up above you...

EpicDeck15PlungeLevel-1-2_zpsfa9538cb.jpg

The entrance to all the slides is forward and around to the right, looking aft...

EpicDeck15EntranceStairtoWaterSlides-1-2_zpsed9df33d.jpg

Signpost near the entrance to the slides...

EpicDeck15signPostSlidesBehind-1-2_zpsa0d47a7d.jpg

The view down from Deck 18 makes quite an impression...

EpicPlungeFromAbove-1-2_zps51f45ee1.jpg

Participants come down the chute at speed and into the bowl...

EpicPlungeSwirlAround-1-2_zpsfae5c735.jpg

They then spiral round and round, in diminishing circles...

EpicPlungeSwirlAroundandAgain-1-2_zpsfa7c3de9.jpg

...then swirled into the exit chute for a further plunge downward...

EpicPlungeSwirlExit-1-2_zps187a8fb6.jpg

...and end up here on the Pool Deck...

EpicDeck15PlungeEnd-1-2_zps0bfdc9da.jpg

...with a splashy ending...

EpicPlungeSplashatEnd-1-2_zpsfba5109a.jpg