cruisetrail

MSC DIVINA CONFIDENTIAL: Pics-Cabin/Balcony Guide-Design-Food-Amenities-Y.Club, Etc..

What are you suggesting?

could it be that someone is suggesting that the images have been trawled from the net and not taken by the person who posted them, and even that the person hasn't been on the ship...Surely NOT

One of the Aft balcony pictures with the Wet handrail and floor along with chair and lounger has appeared on Cruise Critic before posted by someone else! :eek:

One of the Aft balcony pictures with the Wet handrail and floor along with chair and lounger has appeared on Cruise Critic before posted by someone else! :eek:

You don't mean one of YOUR picures has been lifted without reference to you . Shame on them!!!!!!

Cruisetrail is allowed to post anything he wants...get with the program!

Oh !! Of course, how silly of me to doubt the vagaries of copyright law:D:D:eek::eek:

What do you think of 10097? I will be in this cabin in October. Thank you.

The equipment used - cheap TN screens.

The Tv is far from cheap. Samsung LT22A300 is an LED Display which has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 @60hz or 1080p. If it's cheap tv's you are looking for,,try sailing on Carnival Valor,,those are cheap tv's.:rolleyes:

LED is another sparkle of "unparalleled luxury" - this time from the world of displays.

In fact, LED is just a type of backlight used for LCD screens.

It has nothing to do with image quality unless it's a rare high end equipment with RGB LED backlight (still questionable).

Consumer grade screens are equipped with white LED backlight.

LED or not LED - it's still LCD screen. What counts for image quality is LCD technology (TN, PVA, IPS).

TN is the cheapest technology used in lower grade products (office and "household" monitors and small TVs).

Due to some technical reasons it's widely used in laptops.

I am not surpirised to see TN screens in regular cabins on the Divina.

They are the most prolific and can be seen on many cruise lines.

What is surprising - TNs in the Yacht Club.

You can see better quality screens on RCI, Celebrity, NCL - the list is not complete.

Edited by cruisetrail

A pretty standard B2 balcony cabin just far enough away from the forward hump so as to not loose too much field of view and not too bad looking down to the sea over the life boats, near enough to a set of lifts to give resaonable access to the main public areas.

Overall not bad but could be better and could be a lot worse,.

192 sq ft + 42 sq ft balcony

Edited by Skier52

Thank you all for participation!

saphir, thank you too.

I will definitely return to your question - just let me finish with

Standard Cabin Amenities...

MSCDivinaMiniBar_zps8cb6d109.jpg

MSCDivinaMinibar2_zps645ce9b2.jpg

MSCDivinaminibarprices_zps4ffd39c5.jpg

To be continued....

Edited by cruisetrail

You can see a better quality screens on RCI, Celebrity, NCL - the list is not complete.

I'm not surprised.

So cruise trail

Does 16006 have a balcony or not !

Yes, it does!

It looks like on my photo (of a different cabin). It's an "unusual" balcony but 16006 is 1.5x of standard width.

Unless you consider 16006 for a reason, I would look at 16035 or 16034 first, then at 16032, 16033, 15028, 15029, 15030, 15031.

Happy cruising!

So cruise trail

Does 16006 have a balcony or not !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See post 37 where I've posted documentary proof that it does have a balcony, in addition it is a suite for guests with disabilities. These are sometimes given to able bodied guest provided they are not required by a disability guest at a date closer to the sailing date. When this occurs the original able bodied guests may be reassigned to another similar grade cabin.

Thank you all for participation!

saphir, thank you too.

I will definitely return to your question - just let me finish with

Standard Cabin Amenities...

MSCDivinaMiniBar_zps8cb6d109.jpg

MSCDivinaMinibar2_zps645ce9b2.jpg

MSCDivinaminibarprices_zps4ffd39c5.jpg

To be continued....

Is mini bar is include with Allegrissimo Premium?

TV Channels

MSCDivinaTVProgram_zps58180de9.jpg

Safe

MSCDivinaSafe1_zpsde96ffee.jpg

MSCDivinaSafe5_zps52ad8cb5.jpg

The opening measures 12.5 inches (31.7 cm) wide, 7.5 inches (19 cm) high and 14.3 inches (36.4 cm) diagonal.

The inside shelf can be folded.

Note that some space is taken by the door:

MSCDivinaSafe2_zps39c86461.jpg

MSCDivinaSafe3_zps8e15b0fb.jpg

My 13" slim laptop miracuously managed (after careful manipulations) to get into this safe.

I believe this is the largest laptop to fit into. It was in upright position at 60 deg angle.

The laptop measures 324x225x18 mm

MSCDivinaSafe4_zpsaee0e901.jpg

To be continued...

is there a music channel?is it needs a power converter?

LED is another sparkle of "unparalleled luxury" - this time from the world of displays.

In fact, LED is just a type of backlight used for LCD screens.

It has nothing to do with image quality unless it's a rare high end equipment with RGB LED backlight (still questionable).

Consumer grade screens are equipped with white LED backlight.

LED or not LED - it's still LCD screen. What counts for image quality is LCD technology (TN, PVA, IPS).

TN is the cheapest technology used in lower grade products (office and "household" monitors and small TVs).

Due to some technical reasons it's widely used in laptops.

You can see better quality screens on RCI, Celebrity, NCL - the list is not complete.

The average consumer has no idea about the technology behind a flat panel monitor nor do they care, especially on a cruise ship. But hey,,from someone who's been in the Audio/Video business for over 25 years now,,what do I know right??

Is mini bar is include with Allegrissimo Premium?

YES!!

Here is the wording from the MSC UK web site for the Adult Allegrissimo Premium package with the relevent section enhanced in red:-

ALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM ADULT- £35 (per day)

Unlimited consumption of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine (from the "by the glass" menu), draft and bottled beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks and all drinks from the bar (including champagne cocktails, single malt whiskies, superior brandies and other premium spirits), drinks from your minibar and mineral water in your cabin, as well as all items from the 'Gelateria' menu and Pastry Shop and food from the Room Service menu.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

could it be that someone is suggesting that the images have been trawled from the net and not taken by the person who posted them, and even that the person hasn't been on the ship...Surely NOT

Who would do such a thing?

Why would someone do such a thing?

Cruisetrail is allowed to post anything he wants...get with the program!

Careful. Admin will start handing points out to anyone who criticises other members.

Oh, finally cruisetrail cruised on Divina!!! Hoooooray! :D

Thank you for information.

We will be on Divina in 10101 soon, so I will be waiting for review of these cabins together with future cruiser in 10097. :)

I wonder how sofa for the third person opens?

Cruisetrail--- please please please please just post all of you review asap in one chunk. I cant cope with trawling through all the crap thats going to be posted.

Whilst i may not always agree with your points, i would like to read them without a full debate after each one.

Cut the drama and get on with it before i loose the will to live!!!

P.s ive check his images folks and they are all original 'unique to web' so accept hes been on board and enjoy.... ;-/

Only one system is needed as all the equipment required to receive satellite broadcasts are localized on the ship. I think this would become an issue if you required a land based connection to receive programming.

Yes, I understand the ship has the equipment on board but a satellite on sends what it receives with that particular encoding intact. Therefore the ship needs NTSC receivers to pick up NTSC signals and PAL receivers to pick up PAL signals. And we won't even get into SECAM, ME-SECAM and other types of TV encoding! :eek:

Hi Cruisetrail,

What date did you sail on the Divina? If it was the Saturday before Easter, you would expect the ship to be very full as it was spring break in the northeast.

Also, what cabin number were you in and what was the category? Did you pay for the trip or was it a travel agent perk?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Looking forward to trying the Divina on August 9th. I think we will have a great time. Entertainment looks great. We are bored with the same shows on Royal.

If it goes well, we may do the Divina again in the summer of 15.

Ellen

Hi Cruisetrail,

What date did you sail on the Divina? If it was the Saturday before Easter, you would expect the ship to be very full as it was spring break in the northeast.

Also, what cabin number were you in and what was the category? Did you pay for the trip or was it a travel agent perk?

Looking forward to trying the Divina on August 9th. I think we will have a great time. Entertainment looks great. We are bored with the same shows on Royal.

Ellen

Ellen,do you really think it is appropriate to ask this question? I think it is highly personal.

Hi Cruisetrail,

Ellen

You've clearly never seen a cruisetrail review. He won't even acknowledge these questions, never mind answer them.

Someone was inquiring about the laptop in the safe...this video is for you.

Pictures are good. Videos are better!

Hi,

Yes, I have seen portions of cruistails previous threads.

I do value the reviews of people who paid for their cruise more than a travel agent who may receive a better commision from another cruise line. Many years ago, we had a travel agent recommend a basic resort when she knew we liked nicer resorts.

If you click the link for his review, it states they are travel professionals.

I wasn't asking for a room number for a future cruise. It was for a past cruise.

The reason I asked is because we have B2 balconies this year, but are considering oceanviews or insides next year because we will spending a lot more on tours as we haven't been to Europe.

If cruisetrail was in an inside cabin or oceanview, that might explain some of his comments about the promenade and space taken by the Yacht club.

In the review section, many people include the room number.

Ellen

Hi,

Yes, I have seen portions of cruistails previous threads.

I do value the reviews of people who paid for their cruise more than a travel agent who may receive a better commision from another cruise line. Many years ago, we had a travel agent recommend a basic resort when she knew we liked nicer resorts.

If you click the link for his review, it states they are travel professionals.

I wasn't asking for a room number for a future cruise. It was for a past cruise.

The reason I asked is because we have B2 balconies this year, but are considering oceanviews or insides next year because we will spending a lot more on tours as we haven't been to Europe.

If cruisetrail was in an inside cabin or oceanview, that might explain some of his comments about the promenade and space taken by the Yacht club.

In the review section, many people include the room number.

Ellen

Usually they include the date sailed. I agree a free cruise or travel agent is different then a full paying passenger.

He also complained about the lumpy pillows - however yacht club passengers have a 'pillow menu' and can choose whatever suits them.

And he originally states that he had access to the YC thanks to some friends and then later he states that he stayed in the YC.

This is probably why he has credibility issues.

However, no one can fault his attention to detail - much as they may disagree with his interpretation of those details or how he came by them.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Hi Pete,

My diagram accentuates the difference of how rolling "feels" on the lower decks vs upper decks of the "hotel part" of the ship. For that purpose the diagram serves very well.

Yes, ships don't roll around the point on the keel. You can think of the lower part of the hull as "not shown" if you wish.

Your example (image) is a litle different story. It's too overdramatic for our unnocent case.

Free surface effect and shifted center of gravity is too much for our study.

This is probably close to deck 5 or 6 on a Fantasia class ship, and so those are the decks least affected , deck 4 (and possibly deck 5) will have MORE movement than a couple of the decks higher than it.

I cannot imagine that.

That would be a disaster.

You'd better get used to imagining it, because that is what cruise ship naval architects do , deliberately design moderate metacentic heights

The following appeared on MARHST-L in June 1999, and appears by permission of the author, Maxwell Mulholland (BlauerMax@AOL.COM)), who is a Qualified US Navy Chief Engineer and Former Damage Control Officer, USS Arkansas

As I mentioned before, GM is a design characteristic of ships. A ship impacted by external forces basically behaves as a pendulum of length GM. The value of GM is determined by a huge number of factors, including a vessel's length-beam ratio, underwater cross-sectional profile, waterplane coefficient, bilge and keel shape, the placement of specific weights (which determines the location of the center of gravity), the amount of freeboard, and others. Naval architects have considerable leeway in setting the GM of the ships they design through the various choices and design trade-offs they make. Every newly built ship, and every ship leaving a shipyard after a significant alteration to its original design condition, undergoes what is known as an "inclining experiment" while dockside to validate the GM value.

Less stable ships have smaller GMs and a longer ("softer") roll period, which as I mentioned earlier normally results in easier fire control solutions and better accuracy - not to mention more comfortable sailing characteristics and better living conditions for crew and passengers! British-American battleships and today's modern cruise ships were purposefully designed to have moderate-sized GMs for these reasons. My comment that German WW1-era battleships and battlecruisers were better gun platforms in the North Sea (with its unsettled waters and choppy seas) had to do with the fact that they were inherently more stable than their Royal Navy counterparts and thus better able to handle the conditions they faced in this somewhat enclosed body of water

The technical stuff that you need to understand before you go to sea in a ship and be surprised it doesn't meet with a disaster

NOTE HOW HIGH THE POINT M, the metacentre is

The Metacentric Diagram

Published in Naval Architecture

THE METACENTRIC DIAGRAM

When a ship is heeled through a small angle, the centre of buoyancy moves to a new position B1 and the buoyancy force acts through a point M on the centreline. M is known as the transverse metacentre.

For angles of up to about 10 degrees, M is a fixed point. The positions of B and M depend only upon the geometry of the ship and are fixed for the draught at which it is floating. The designer can provide information on B and M for each mean draught, assuming the waterline is parallel to the design waterline. Small departures from this state are unlikely to be significant. With such a plot, known as a metacentric diagram, a master can find M and B for the condition the ship is in.

metacntre2.jpg

We have seen how the centre of buoyancy, the centroid of the volume of the displaced water, can be found. BM is given by: BM = I/V, where I is the transverse second moment, or inertia, of the waterplane and V is the volume of displacement.

meatcentre3.png

There is a corresponding longitudinal metacentre for small changes in angle about a transverse axis. It will be shown later that the two metacentres are critical to a study of a ship’s stability. The position of the longitudinal metacentre is defined by: BHL = IL/V, where IL is the longitudinal inertia of the waterplane about a transverse axis through the centroid of the area of the waterplane.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi Alexkrn46,

Thank you. Maybe it is a Massachusetts thing. Kidding.

Have you cruised on MSC yet? If so did you like it? Is the food similar to the North End?

With airfare from Logan to Europe high in August, the low price for teenagers would be helpful for my friends. They saved a lot over RCCL this year too.

Ellen

I don't know about you all but i am having a lot of fun reading this! I can not believe that this guy is serious... pictures from the vault and from the back of the tv is just... AMAZING! How could i cruise without that.

My main question is, why nobody dismantled a wall of the ship to see how is inside? Or maybe remove the carpet to see how the real floor is? Maybe could be dirt underground! It would be INCREDIBLE!

I have just returned with a set of new pictures...

Wow!

Friends, I appreciate your attaention!

This is going to be one of the most educating threads...

Where should I start...

andrewjb1,

I cannot post the whole review in one chunk. The chunk would be a size of the Divina. CC allows only 6 pictures per post.

Discussion is a nature of cruise forums.

People ask for more details. Other people bring details they have. That's why Cruise Critic is so helpful.

SunReader,

Sorry, you are asking personal questions.

It does not matter which cabin we were in because I review the ship, not my vacation.

Enjoy your cruise on the Divina!

Skier52,

Thank you for the input.

I like this stuff but it may be a bit too specific for many readers.

My comment (disaster - not literally "sinking" but what the life on ship would be!) related to your statement that passengers on decks 4-5 will experience more motion (when rolling) than on higher decks.

Please take time to draw a cross-section of a cruise ship (or use some ready cross-section images of famous ships from internet), make it "roll" to your liking and see what happens.

Please refrain from "you need to understand" - I will appreciate it. I know this stuff.

Nothing major. Definitely not the best (recessed part, somewhat limited views forward, lifeboats still below) but not the worst.

Cabin layout is like 10101 (but no connecting door, a bit shorter sofa).

Please see below.

We will be on Divina in 10101 soon, so I will be waiting for review of these cabins together with future cruiser in 10097. :)

I wonder how sofa for the third person opens?

This is how a "double sofa bed" opens.

I have no picture of a single sofa bed category. May I guess that it will be a long sofa itself with seatbacks removed (?)

Your cabin has a connecting door - added to the photo of a generic cabin..

10097and10101_zps679c1963.jpg

MSCDivinaStBalconySofaBed-1_zps53571fe5.jpg

Hi Alexkrn46,

Thank you. Maybe it is a Massachusetts thing. Kidding.

Have you cruised on MSC yet? If so did you like it? Is the food similar to the North End?

With airfare from Logan to Europe high in August, the low price for teenagers would be helpful for my friends. They saved a lot over RCCL this year too.

Ellen

I have been on MSC, three times, twice in the Mediterranean and once on the Divina. We found the cheapest air fare on Aer Lingus this past June.

We are D+ on RCCl, but what drove us to MSC, they are the only ones who cruise all year in the Med. The food is not like the North End which is Americanized. We found the food very different, sometimes we did not recognize certain dishes or fishes. The food including pasta is made fresh every day. There is an alternative menu of steak, chicken, and Salmon. The food on the Divina is more American Italian.

There ships are beautiful. The service is European.

Hi Alexkrn46,

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. We can't travel in June as one friend is a teacher and another has teenagers in school. I will look at Air Lingus for flights when they become available.

Cruisetrail - Most people doing reviews provide the date of cruise so you can compare apples to apples. I'll check other reviews where this is technical research info only.

Ellen