Cab from MIA to POM - how much extra to stop at a convenience store?

Baby_Bear

Hi, just booked a cruise today, sailing out of Miami in August. Its been 2 years since I last cruised out of Miami so had a quick question. I understand the fare is a fixed $24 from MIA to the cruise port so that's all good.

My question is - would cabs agree to make a quick stop at a convenience store en route? It's an 8-day cruise but we are going to see if we can manage with carry-ons (last year cruising out of FLL, we arrived at FLL airport only to find our bag was still at JFK. Took Delta 2 days to locate it and forward it to the first port of call, what a mess!) The only problem with carry ons for an 8-day cruise is the whole liquids restriction, so we were thinking we could stop off at a CVS/Walgreens and buy our favorite shampoo and lotion. Typically, how much extra should we agree to with the cabbie? It wouldn't take more than 5 mins, I'm happy to tell him to leave the meter running if that's what it takes. Or is it a certain amount extra?

You will be on the meter, so how much extra depends upon how fast you shop.

I have heard of cab drivers agreeing to stop for a $10 tip - because the cab driver often splits fares with the cab owner/agency, but keeps all of his tips. GPS tracking may prevent them from doing this.

Just let your driver at MIA know that you need to make a quick stop at a drug store on the way - he will know where to go; shop fast and good luck! :)

I know you didn't ask for advice but there is a lot of risk flying in the day of the cruise. Things can go wrong and they do.

I would fly in the day before but if not then you will be on a meter with the taxi.

Keith

Thanks for letting me know about the meter. I understand what you are saying about flying in before, but with the hours I work, it will be impossible, most likely I won't be done with work till about 7 pm the night before. So flying down the previous night isn't happening, which is why we're trying to cut out the risk by doing carry on. I don't even care about the $50 RT bag fee, its the thought of potentially having a screw up the way we did last year. Good to know about the meter.

Is there any particular convenience store I should direct the cabbie to? Something right along the way? Just don't want to be taken on a tour of downtown Miami in an effort to pad the fare :)

this Publix is between the airport and the port and not too far off the expressway

Altos Plaza - Sabor Shopping Center (Store #01230)

121 SW 22nd Ave

Miami, FL

ditto this CVS

CVS Pharmacy | Photo

650 Nw 27th Ave, Miami, FL

I know you didn't ask, but have you thought about flying into Ft Lauderdale and taking a shuttle to POM ? That is what we do, and some people on the shuttle asked the driver to stop so they could buy wine. He did without question, and of course we all gave him a good tip. We used SAS as the shuttle for 15 dollars per person. The trip was about 40 minutes with the stop at the store.

http://www.ridesas.com

Thank you all for the input! Swedish weave - I did actually check airfares for both MIA and FLL before booking, as I know FLL can sometimes be cheaper. I couldn't believe it, it was about $100 pp extra to fly into FLL! Very surprising as in the past we found FLL to be cheaper. Its possibly just our dates.