Why does Princess sail older ships from San Francisco

It seems that the older I get, the more I hate flying. So we have been taking a number of cruises from SF because it is just a BART ride and walk to the pier.

I am wondering if anyone knows why Princess seems to sail the older ships from SF? So far I've been on the old Regal, the Sun, the Grand and the Star. The only times we were on the Coral/Island was when they were repositioning cruises.

The predecessor Regal Princess was a beautiful ship and not really that old when she was based in San Francisco--especially when compared to the ship that was there before, the ancient and decrepit Sky Princess.

Now there is no such thing as a "bad" cruise ship--but it is common among all lines that ports with only one of their ships based there do not get one of their "better" ships. Without the need for loyal passengers to choose between ships and itineraries, the bookings actually come more easily.

But would the newer Super-Grand Class ships even fit under the Golden Gate Bridge, or in the newer berths coming to San Francisco?

Hmmm .... according to a quick search on the Princess web-site, the following ships are now on the schedule for sailing from San Francisco:

Star Princess

Golden Princess

Grand Princess

Coral Princess

While they certainly are not as old as the current Royal and Regal, they don't seem like "old ships" to me.

What would be "new" in your mind besides the Royal and Regal?

Just thought of something else. Borrowing from Pam, "follow the money". Princess will place its ships where they make the most money, limited by where they can physically go of course.

Edited by beg3yrs
It seems that the older I get, the more I hate flying. So we have been taking a number of cruises from SF because it is just a BART ride and walk to the pier.

I am wondering if anyone knows why Princess seems to sail the older ships from SF? So far I've been on the old Regal, the Sun, the Grand and the Star. The only times we were on the Coral/Island was when they were repositioning cruises.

the same could be said about australia as we seem to get the hand me down ones, we have 3 ships and they are 17 -19 years old

Well how about the Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Caribbean, or Crown? They are all newer than the ships currently sailing from SF.

It would just be a train ride for you to hop onto Los Angeles where the Crown is homeported. We will also be getting the Ruby. Princess has been adding more cruises from San Francisco, so you should be happy about that.

Well how about the Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Caribbean, or Crown? They are all newer than the ships currently sailing from SF.
Because as I always say, "follow the money." :) The Caribbean is where the money is, not San Francisco. It's not unusual for 2-3 Princess ships to be in port in Ft. Lauderdale almost every day of the week... because Princess can sell cabins and fill the ships.

It would just be a train ride for you to hop onto Los Angeles where the Crown is homeported. We will also be getting the Ruby. Princess has been adding more cruises from San Francisco, so you should be happy about that.
And here in LA we're getting the Grand, one of the older ships and the oldest large ship in the fleet.

Does it really matter? It doesn't to me. The older ships are updated and most have most of the new amenities. No, they don't have the new Royal/Regal amenities but for the most part, they have the IC and others. The age of the ship has nothing to do with my decisions whether to book a cruise or not.

But would the newer Super-Grand Class ships even fit under the Golden Gate Bridge, or in the newer berths coming to San Francisco?

Sure...Crown Princess visits San Francisco on coastals. She's basically the same size as the current Grand-class ships (just taller)...

We are happy to have cruises from SF. It would be lovely to have more choices of ships, but we're grateful for whatever we can get.:D Quite a pleasant change from several years ago.

The predecessor Regal Princess was a beautiful ship and not really that old when she was based in San Francisco--especially when compared to the ship that was there before, the ancient and decrepit Sky Princess.

Now there is no such thing as a "bad" cruise ship--but it is common among all lines that ports with only one of their ships based there do not get one of their "better" ships. Without the need for loyal passengers to choose between ships and itineraries, the bookings actually come more easily.

Hey now....I loved the Sky Princess....thought it much nicer than the old Regal Princess.

I must admit, I, too, am getting more and more tired of flying...such a hassle. And I agree, I would love to see one of the newer ships come over to SF and they would make it under the Golden Gate, although they may need to schedule it around the tides. I do see the Star, Ruby and Crown are coming in to SF, the Star being based out of SF for a while and the Ruby and Crown using SF as a port of call. While the Crown and the Star are not amongst my favorite ships, I am glad to see something other than the Golden or Grand being based up here. Seeing that the cruises out of SF seem to draw top dollar and they always sell out, why not being the new Regal or Royal Princess out our way. I would book one of those faster than you could blink. Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Coastal....I don't care, I would be on it as would many others that I know from the bay area.

You do make a good point, though...the pier at SF just cannot handle a ton of people. I was embarking there a couple of years ago -- NIGHTMARE. It took us over 6 hours to board -- mostly due to inept and arrogant port authorities, though. Wish they would fix this, too, while they are at it. :cool:

I'm not about to complain. I'm just grateful that Princess offers cruises out of SF at all. It's tremendously easier for us to cruise out of SF than it would be to cruise out of LA. We're working stiffs with limited time and income and having any cruises offered out of SF helps us to be able to cruise.

Our first cruise was out of SF on Sea Princess. I'm glad we got to sail on her before she was refitted and sent to the Asian theater of operations. We loved the nice wide promenade that was all on one level. It was wide enough for loungers. We sailed on her to Alaska and we will never be the same again. Sea Princess also had Cafe Corniche. They made the most wonderful pizza. :)

As for getting the "older" ships - I don't really have much envy of folks on the two newest ships...

We are happy to have cruises from SF. It would be lovely to have more choices of ships, but we're grateful for whatever we can get.:D Quite a pleasant change from several years ago.

I also don't have a problem with SFO based Princess ships. I'd rather have what we've got than got none at all. It's a quick 90 minute train ride into the City for me as opposed to a 5-hour flight to FLL, plus I've been to the Caribbean enough times as it is.

Edited by Treven

Trust me you don't want those horrible ships. They are terrible to cruise on and I would not even cruise on those ones even if someone paid me to. (Excluding Sapphire Princess it is great).

Just picture the Grand Princess, Star Princess, Golden Princess all your so called "old ships" picture a deck slapped on top called "Riviera Deck" and remember there will be upwards of 700 more passengers on that deck. There will be no new passengers spaces, you lose the glass roof over the middle pool. The newer ships are over crowded monstrosities.

Be happy with what you have. They are much better. The ones mentioned in the first post are the only Princess ships I will sail on. I would not sail on the newer ones even if someone paid me to do so.

Edited by KarateMan

We did a 10-day Alaska cruise last year out of SFO on the Grand and found it to be just that - grand. All the new stuff from the Piazza to Alfredo's, etc. and she was in fine shape, too.

The year before we did the CB and liked it as well but between the 2 I'd take the Grand. As KarateMan just mentioned it's essentially the same ship with one less pax deck so she has a better pax-to-public space ratio. But that said I'd repeat sail on either one.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

I thought the same as KarateMan when Princess first announced the design of the Caribbean Princess. Since then, however, we have sailed on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby and had a great time. For us, the extra passengers have not mattered. We have always been able to find a quiet place when we want to, seats in the theater, chairs in the shade and have been able to get second seating for dinner.

I thought the same as KarateMan when Princess first announced the design of the Caribbean Princess. Since then, however, we have sailed on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby and had a great time. For us, the extra passengers have not mattered. We have always been able to find a quiet place when we want to, seats in the theater, chairs in the shade and have been able to get second seating for dinner.

Perhaps it was the type of cruise as well. Honestly when I tried the class the biggest issue was the theatre. Cruise staff had to make three performances just to please the passengers. On the later sittings it was always packed. It got to the point where the passengers were invading the theatre during the closing act of one show just to get a seat for the next show and then on leaving the theatre the queue to enter went half way down the ship to the glass lifts.

Let's be thankful for small favors:)

I am thankful to have ships with fewer passengers and functional promenade decks:)

Special thanks for the Grand and the Star.

As I would say in Hawaii, where these ships sometimes travel: mahalo!

SF was a port of call in 2012 on NCL Pearl. There wasn't much clearance when we sailed into port. However when we left SF we had more space.

Is Star Princess taller than NCL Pearl? I've been on Grand and Diamond Princess, but did not cruise into SF.

SF was a port of call in 2012 on NCL Pearl. There wasn't much clearance when we sailed into port. However when we left SF we had more space.

Is Star Princess taller than NCL Pearl? I've been on Grand and Diamond Princess, but did not cruise into SF.

Yes, Star Princess is a larger ship than Pearl. But it's all about the tides in San Francisco...

Unfortunately there are not a lot of places to cruise to from the West Coast. The ports don't change so I'm happy when Princess does change out the ships. Weather they are older or newer is fine with me. It's nice to have a change of ships. Considering the amount of passengers sailing each year I think Princess does a pretty good job of keeping up the ships.

The Carribbean class ship is what I call a warm weather ship. You will enjoy it in warm weather. Cool weather and it gets awfully crowded below deck. San Francisco is not a warm weather port even in the summer. Haven't made an assessment of the Royal or Regal as I have not been on either one of them.

I would prefer the Sapphire/Diamond class or anything smaller sailing out of San Francisco. Myself, itinerary, price, food, ship maintanence, and ship fitting the itinerary are my order of importance anyway, not the latest model of ship.