Steamers

What is happening when bringing on a steamer now? A while back I read that some get through and some don't. I have taken one on 10 cruises and wonder what people are experiencing now.

What is a steamer please?

(It sounds like something you shouldn't be smuggling on even if you've been successful in the past)

What is a steamer please?

(It sounds like something you shouldn't be smuggling on even if you've been successful in the past)

Device that creates steam used to take wrinkles out of clothes.

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Ingenious-Design-Ultra-Travel-Steamer/dp/B003ZT2ZQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404077566&sr=8-2&keywords=travel+steamer

Edited by clarea

I assume you mean a clothing steamer? I took one on Oasis last summer not realizing they weren't allowed...I think it was a last minute idea as we were packing. Since that time I've been told it's hit or miss.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What is happening when bringing on a steamer now? A while back I read that some get through and some don't. I have taken one on 10 cruises and wonder what people are experiencing now.

I used to always take my steamer years ago and couldn't live without it on a cruise. I now leave my clothes on hangers and use the dry cleaning plastic bags for mine and hubby's clothes. When I unpack, all the clothes are on hangers, no wrinkles and they just go in the closet, right after I remove their hangers.

Yes...you may bring a steamer...but NOT a "steam iron"...big difference. You may bring your hair appliances, like flat irons...you might be able to erase a crease with that!

I guess that's why mine got through, it was just a handheld steamer, not a steam iron.

Travel steamers are not allowed. These are not steam irons, these are handheld steamers. From the RCCL website:

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

I saw the title and got excited. I thought OP was writing about these:

626-43_steamed_clams_300.jpg

Now that's a steamer. :D

That's what I first thought. Then I thought maybe a travel trunk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Yes...you may bring a steamer...

No. Please stop posting this erroneous information.

Travel steamers are not allowed. These are not steam irons, these are handheld steamers. From the RCCL website:

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

We were on the Freedom a few weeks ago and had no problem bringing a clothes steamer on the ship. We have had the steamer examined by security when boarding other RCCL cruises, but it has always been allowed. The security guy mentioned that they don't allow steamers with metal plates...ours is all plastic.

We were on the Freedom a few weeks ago and had no problem bringing a clothes steamer on the ship. We have had the steamer examined by security when boarding other RCCL cruises, but it has always been allowed. The security guy mentioned that they don't allow steamers with metal plates...ours is all plastic.

The one I brought on board was a plastic wand type steamer with no metal parts.

How do you get steam from a steamer with all plastic parts???

There is no exposed metal parts. That's what they are trying to say. I too have had no issues bringing a hand held steamer that had no exposed metal parts or hot plate.

LOL!!!!!! I too, thought at first it was about the steamers you can eat!!! Years ago I took a travel iron (1993), once I used an iron on a ship (hardly any have them anymore), and a few times I used the pressing service on some ships. BUT now I bring Downy Wrinkly Releaser because 1. it's allowed to be checked in regular luggage and allowed on the ship 2. You can spray it on ANY kind of fabric, shake it out and it's a flippin miracle------all wrinkles are gone! The fabric will be a tiny bit damp so I make sure to do it about 15 minutes before I know I want to wear that article of clothing. If you've never used it, you can get it at Wal-Mart, some grocery stores, order it on line, maybe Target (not sure)........Nothing wrong with steamers though. My whole family uses it at home ALL the time!