Cruise Critic Community
seeshore

Recent Grandeur cruisers please share your experience with us

Thanks for all the recent comments and reviews. Its good to hear different points of view regarding the same ship.

The name Darryl is familiar to me. I think he was on Majesty when we first sailed with Royal. If its the same guy he certainly made our first cruise memorable.:)

We have a panoramic room booked this winter. 8539 anybody stayed in that room ? I'm concerned with noise overhead. Can someone let me know if I should stay put or change rooms .

Did you see this recent thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2054246&highlight=grandeur

We board her Friday for a back to back. Can we help with any specific questions?

Starry Eyes, Thanks for the link. I did see this review but I'm not able to view the pics correctly. We've been having some pc problems so I'm thinking that's the reason why.

Sorry about that. You can see the pictures now.

Photobucket wanted some money.

:D

Hurry up, then. His current contract expires in September.

After that, who knows? ;)

Maybe my dream cruise will materialize. Him and Allan Brooks on the Allure?

If you've met Darryl, you'll remember him.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7423%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B38%3A6%3C93257ot1lsi

Merion Mom, Do you know where Wrona is? She hasn't posted in 5 months. I bought her a gift on my Sunshine cruise. :(

Merion Mom, Do you know where Wrona is? She hasn't posted in 5 months. I bought her a gift on my Sunshine cruise. :(

Email me. merionmom at aol dot com

Edited by Merion_Mom

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7423%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B38%3A6%3C93257ot1lsi

Last week's photo. Big surprise: No change. ;)

DSC07546_zpscd9af3b7.jpg

(

Darryl is so much fun! Whatever they're paying him ... it's not enough.

Thanks for this thread. I am booked in 8074. Been considering with two kids moving down to two ocean view rooms connecting.

I just got off this ship on July 4 and my recommendation is that it is best for people who have never cruised and have nothing to compare it to or the very elderly.

My 6 year old daughter is really the only one of us who was entertained. She loved the camp and the barbie experience. My 3 year old son on the other hand hated the camp. The worst part is that they do not have pagers or phones for parents to carry in case the camp has to contact you. Instead, they call your room. But if your kid is at camp, you aren't going to be in your room. So we weren't in our room and had no idea that our child was lying on the floor at the camp and very sea sick! We just happen to go check him after 30 minutes of having dropped him off to find that he was sea sick. We felt that the camp should have done more than just call our room.

This ship is old and boring. We were stuck at sea for 3 days because one of the ports was cancelled due to a tropical storm. We were so bored. The arcade literally has 10 games. It was so tiny. And how many times can you play bingo? There was no nightclub and there are very few venues on the ship.

We tried really hard to make the best of it and we did. We enjoyed most of the food and being together. But would never sail on this ship again. It felt like the forgotten ship that never got the memo that the 90's are over.

Wow! Sorry you didn't like Grandeur. We have sailed on her lots of times and love this ship. But we don't cruise with children so don't have any experience with that.

We found plenty of activities for adults going on all around the ship.

Sorry about that. You can see the pictures now.

Photobucket wanted some money.

:D

Thanks! Your pictures are great and made me wish Jan. was a bit closer.

I just got off this ship on July 4 and my recommendation is that it is best for people who have never cruised and have nothing to compare it to or the very elderly.

My 6 year old daughter is really the only one of us who was entertained. She loved the camp and the barbie experience. My 3 year old son on the other hand hated the camp. The worst part is that they do not have pagers or phones for parents to carry in case the camp has to contact you. Instead, they call your room. But if your kid is at camp, you aren't going to be in your room. So we weren't in our room and had no idea that our child was lying on the floor at the camp and very sea sick! We just happen to go check him after 30 minutes of having dropped him off to find that he was sea sick. We felt that the camp should have done more than just call our room.

This ship is old and boring. We were stuck at sea for 3 days because one of the ports was cancelled due to a tropical storm. We were so bored. The arcade literally has 10 games. It was so tiny. And how many times can you play bingo? There was no nightclub and there are very few venues on the ship.

We tried really hard to make the best of it and we did. We enjoyed most of the food and being together. But would never sail on this ship again. It felt like the forgotten ship that never got the memo that the 90's are over.

That is strange - we got a pager when we sailed on Grandeur last Sep. Our son was also three, and they paged us while we were at the CL, so I know that the pagers were working.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think this is a significant problem with older ships in a cruise line like Royal Caribbean. They advertise family vacations yet the smaller ships like the Grandeur and her sister ships are not large enough to fulfill the real desires of younger 1st time cruisers with young children.

Also, because of the size of the port of Baltimore and the Bay Bridge, most newer ships can't come into Baltimore leaving the smaller ships for this market.

In 2006 we took our daughters 9 & 12 on the Navigator and they still talk about it, actually more than they talk about Disney World. We took them Again 3 years ago on Enchantment to Bermuda and they had a great time. Right now they hate us for going on the Grandeur next month without them. I agree that some things are dated, especially the entertainment, very middle brow, no edge. It seems like they are appealing to a middle American circa 1958.

We chose RCI this time over Celebrity out of NJ for convenience, we live 35 minutes from the Port. We know what we're getting and hope that our cruise is boring. We eat, we drink, we lay around and read and go to a few shows, we get off the ship to go to the beach. We actually have stayed on board at a port call because it's more relaxing.

It's not fair in some ways to make people research the minutia of a vacation to understand what they are signing up for. For me, I love this stuff.

My advise, if you don't like cruising, look for a beach week or a Sandals type vacation. But I promise that if you take a bigger ship, when your kids are a few years older they will remember it for ever, and lovingly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is strange - we got a pager when we sailed on Grandeur last Sep. Our son was also three, and they paged us while we were at the CL, so I know that the pagers were working.

The camp counselors told us that the pagers were limited to special needs children and therefore we could not have one.

I think this is a significant problem with older ships in a cruise line like Royal Caribbean. They advertise family vacations yet the smaller ships like the Grandeur and her sister ships are not large enough to fulfill the real desires of younger 1st time cruisers with young children.

Also, because of the size of the port of Baltimore and the Bay Bridge, most newer ships can't come into Baltimore leaving the smaller ships for this market.

In 2006 we took our daughters 9 & 12 on the Navigator and they still talk about it, actually more than they talk about Disney World. We took them Again 3 years ago on Enchantment to Bermuda and they had a great time. Right now they hate us for going on the Grandeur next month without them. I agree that some things are dated, especially the entertainment, very middle brow, no edge. It seems like they are appealing to a middle American circa 1958.

We chose RCI this time over Celebrity out of NJ for convenience, we live 35 minutes from the Port. We know what we're getting and hope that our cruise is boring. We eat, we drink, we lay around and read and go to a few shows, we get off the ship to go to the beach. We actually have stayed on board at a port call because it's more relaxing.

It's not fair in some ways to make people research the minutia of a vacation to understand what they are signing up for. For me, I love this stuff.

My advise, if you don't like cruising, look for a beach week or a Sandals type vacation. But I promise that if you take a bigger ship, when your kids are a few years older they will remember it for ever, and lovingly.

This wasn't our first time cruising. And relaxation is not an option when your 3 year old won't go to camp. We have been on Carnival and Disney and never went on a boring ship. This was the first and hopefully last time. We are booked on the Oasis for next year. I never said I didn't like cruising. I just did not like this particular cruise ship.

The camp counselors told us that the pagers were limited to special needs children and therefore we could not have one.

Edited by billjessmaddie

This wasn't our first time cruising. And relaxation is not an option when your 3 year old won't go to camp. We have been on Carnival and Disney and never went on a boring ship. This was the first and hopefully last time. We are booked on the Oasis for next year. I never said I didn't like cruising. I just did not like this particular cruise ship.

I do remember the days of having a 3year old and relaxing was indeed rarely an option. Have fun on the Oasis.

I was on this cruise also. I was not bored.

But this is the second "weird" thing that I heard about Adventure Ocean on this cruise.

Disclaimer: I never cruised when my children were young. So they never went to kiddie AO.

I was eating lunch in the MDR on the first sea day. (Day 2) I was seated with a family: A woman and her in-laws. She told me that her husband had the kids. In the conversation, I asked why he wasn't having lunch with them, and she said that she had taken the kids up to AO in the morning and HAD BEEN TURNED AWAY. "We're full."

I had never heard of that. I did not know that it was possible. I did not think that it was allowed.

Any AO experts out there who want to tell me that I just don't understand, or was I right to be dumbfounded at hearing this?

I was on this cruise also. I was not bored.

But this is the second "weird" thing that I heard about Adventure Ocean on this cruise.

Disclaimer: I never cruised when my children were young. So they never went to kiddie AO.

I was eating lunch in the MDR on the first sea day. (Day 2) I was seated with a family: A woman and her in-laws. She told me that her husband had the kids. In the conversation, I asked why he wasn't having lunch with them, and she said that she had taken the kids up to AO in the morning and HAD BEEN TURNED AWAY. "We're full."

I had never heard of that. I did not know that it was possible. I did not think that it was allowed.

Any AO experts out there who want to tell me that I just don't understand, or was I right to be dumbfounded at hearing this?

Yes. On Grandeur, there is a capacity limit of 80 kids in AO (I am sure the other ships have their limits too - I found this one on the Fast Facts sheet). On our cruise, I would guess that there were less than 40 kids and teenagers on the entire ship, so capacity is never an issue. But, I could see a summer cruise having hundreds of kids, and AO being filled at specific times. Also, I believe there are also restrictions on how many kids can be in there based on the number of councilors in the club (if I recall, RCI follows Florida guidelines, but not sure what those are). Usually, they staff up to cover cruises with lots of kids, but it sounds like on this specific cruise, they may have hit their limit. But it may have only been for that specific time/day.

Does anyone know if Grandeur has the Freestyle Coke machines?

It does... A few in and around WJ, and I think one down by Ben & Jerries

Does anyone know if Grandeur has the Freestyle Coke machines?

It does... A few in and around WJ, and I think one down by Ben & Jerries

Yes. One on Deck 6.

GrandeurfreestyleCokemachineBenampJerrysLattetudes_zps97e3f5d9.jpg

Two in the Windjammer.

DSC07521_zps4d61b7f7.jpg

DSC07522_zps19442c45.jpg

Honestly, it isn't even the ship- it was the staff. It felt like in every venue, it was their first contract (during muster, bar tenders, servers; even some officers-lists of incorrect information given). It was as if they had no experience on a ship. We love Royal but they have got to do sonething about the Grandeur staff.