Currency for Tips

Hi Everyone, Sailing on IOS out of Southampton UK in August, We have been on her before but I can't for the life of me remember what currency we tipped in!

Euro, GBP or dollar!

I am talking here about extra tips, like room service extra cash for particular bart tenders etc.

I can't see it making a massive difference to the person receiving it, cash is cash after all, but wondered if there was some ind of etiquette to what currency to tip in,

Odd one really, leaving from the UK where its GBP, sailing in Europe where its Euros, and everything onboard being dollars!!

Tips will be added to your onboard account...so no need to bring too much currency for tips.....of course, if you wish to tip additionally, or for room service, etc....whatever currency you have will be happily accepted.

We are on MTD so have paid in advance for the tips, however I like to tip extra where its deserved,

I just honestly can't remember what I used last time, we are going to have euros for the ports, and no doubt will have sterling with us also, I was kind of wondering what the staff did with it, not that its any of my business, but I was thinking if they use the cash tips to spend on themselves rather than send home, maybe euros are more useful for them to spend in the ports

We are on MTD so have paid in advance for the tips, however I like to tip extra where its deserved,

I just honestly can't remember what I used last time, we are going to have euros for the ports, and no doubt will have sterling with us also, I was kind of wondering what the staff did with it, not that its any of my business, but I was thinking if they use the cash tips to spend on themselves rather than send home, maybe euros are more useful for them to spend in the ports

Makes sense, as they are in more ports that use Euros than any other. However, it probably depends on the individual crew member, as each one might have a difference preference with regard to saving to send home vs spending in ports.

My guess is that the crew would be happy with any currency you care to give. I'm not aware of any etiquette with regard to type of currency for tips.

I agree, they can exchange them or just wait until the ship calls on a port that accepts whatever currency you have given.

Tips will be added to your onboard account...so no need to bring too much currency for tips.....of course, if you wish to tip additionally, or for room service, etc....whatever currency you have will be happily accepted.

Reflects no reading/comprehension of the original post.

My guess is that the crew would be happy with any currency you care to give. I'm not aware of any etiquette with regard to type of currency for tips.

Truly the best possible response.

:)

As the ship will be back in Southampton regularly Sterling is good for extra tips as the crew go ashore to shop and they would not have to exchange dollars and euros thereby losing money in the exchange.

They like Primark,Poundshops and Boots for their sundries.

The trouble is that if you tipped in GBP you'd have to carry an awful lot of £1 coins, as the smallest note is £5 which is rather a lot to tip for a drink or cookies from room service. I think I'll use dollars when I sail in August as the crew can always either save it until November or send it home.

The trouble is that if you tipped in GBP you'd have to carry an awful lot of £1 coins, as the smallest note is £5 which is rather a lot to tip for a drink or cookies from room service. I think I'll use dollars when I sail in August as the crew can always either save it until November or send it home.

Hi Cariad,

That what I was thinking, same with Euros, lots of coins to carry about, was contemplating dollars, just for the small notes, but apart from tipping I wouldn't spend them on anything else!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Just can't wait to get on the ship now, its been too long!

Pete