• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

This just in - Arctic NW Passage in 2016

Seafairer

Penny, thank you so much for your good wishes and so glad to see you posting. Excellent points about benefits to the locals.

We are so very excited to be part of this adventure.

Best to you.

Keith

Keith, I know you have traveled Alaska many times but this will be so different. Don't forget to take along your best anti-dry skin stuff. Sunscreen as well. My family member has visited more of Alaska than about anyone. He lives fairly rough. He is a great camp cook which makes him popular. He has even had small parts on tv shows as he looks authentic, because he is.

Anchorage has excellent supplies of all sorts of fresh foods. In fact 2 COSTCO stores and nice grocery stores. The North Slope oil area has excellent food provisioning. I'm sure Crystal will have the best for you. I've had great fresh fruit at Prudoe Bay. Of course it costs a fortune to get it there whether it is good or not so they only ship the best. With Crystal's superior food storage, you should be fine and even have some surprises as on this trip food will be a big part of your entertainment.

The food will be a story in itself.

When you are in ports, I would keep an eye on what is loading on board. I love to watch that!

The world will be watching. Have a ball!

Penny, thank you so much for the additional information. Yes, we've been reading up about taking anti dry skin items.

You make excellent points about the food. I am sure we will love it. Since we love seafood that will be great as well.

Thank you again.

Keith

Penny, thank you so much for the additional information. Yes, we've been reading up about taking anti dry skin items.

You make excellent points about the food. I am sure we will love it. Since we love seafood that will be great as well.

Thank you again.

Keith

Keith, I don't know what will be in season during your trip, but crystal has been known to buy fresh catches along the way. You are literally breaking new ground for so much.

I was doing some research on an upcoming cruise, and opted to explore cabin availability on the Northwest Passage. Here is a summary of the 33 available cabins. I must caution that the site I use may be inaccurate, although I have never found it to be so. Also, in the past I suspected it listed a maximum of 8 cabins in each category. If that is the case, there may be even more available cabins.

Oceanview (window cabins) none

B3

B2

8133 8060 8126 8134 8135

B1

8044 8058 8116 8142 8038 8042

A1

8126 8134 8060 8133 8135

A2

9084 9116 9129 9133 9137 9143

P2

10006 10001 10002 10005 10007 10009

P1

10120 10110 10117 10125

I would be very interested to hear from someone who is in one of these, or, who knows of someone who is.

Edited by crickette

I was doing some research on an upcoming cruise, and opted to explore cabin availability on the Northwest Passage. Here is a summary of the 33 available cabins. I must caution that the site I use may be inaccurate, although I have never found it to be so. Also, in the past I suspected it listed a maximum of 8 cabins in each category. If that is the case, there may be even more available cabins.

B3

B2

8133 8060 8126 8134 8135

B1

A1

8126 8134 8060 8133 8135

A2

P2

P1

10120 10110 10117 10125

I would be very interested to hear from someone who is in one of these, or, who knows of someone who is.

The 2016 NW PASSAGE is far from sold out currently. Thanks for posting this info as there might be some folks who might book.

Nancy

B3

B2

8133 8060 8126 8134 8135

B1

A1

8126 8134 8060 8133 8135

A2

P2

P1

10120 10110 10117 10125

I am not sure which site you are using but this looks consistent to what I saw just a few weeks ago when I checked the Crystals Cruises web site and looked a some of the categories you listed and saw various rooms available for booking.

There were a number of cancellations for various reasons (some people that we know). Some people did clear the wait list ( a few we know and others including some who have joined our roll call in the last month or so having recently booked the cruise.

I suspect that in the end some of these rooms that do not sell will be used by entertainers and enrichment personnel as they normally are on each voyage.

Keith

We have been Kayaking for years and are very experienced. This little excursion is not for everyone in freezing cold waters. We will stick to warm water Kayaking thank you. If you have not done this before and you are not in physical shape I would not recommend this as you can easily tip over by shifting a two person Kayak. We have certainly had our few dunks in the warm water but I would forgo the ice waters even as highly experienced as we are.

I don't think many will partake in this adventure.

Edited by Suite Travels

We have been Kayaking for years and are very experienced. This little excursion is not for everyone in freezing cold waters. We will stick to warm water Kayaking thank you. If you have not done this before and you are not in physical shape I would not recommend this as you can easily tip over by shifting a two person Kayak. We have certainly had our few dunks in the warm water but I would forgo the ice waters even as highly experienced as we are.

I don't think many will partake in this adventure.

Miles not sure about that.

In some of the other ports where this is offered as a standard excursion some of the tours are booked. Not all times but the more popular times are waitlisted.

Choice is good. :)

It would be boring if they only offered one type of tour.

We had a choice of four types of tours and in our case we picked two of the four.

As for us, we won't do the Kayaking but it's nice that it is available for those who want to do this one.

Keith

Keith, it's great they are offering it but we have signed up for adventure tours that were CX because of lack of participation. A zodiac or helicopter is perfect for us. As much as we love kayaking we will not sign up for that one on 2017.

The NWP cruise is very expensive in all categories and I doubt you will see too many 30-40 year olds sailing on this cruise. I highly doubt you will see an influx of cruise lines doing the NWP as many living there don't want it to become another Alaska and are very concerned about their environment.

I highly doubt you will see an influx of cruise lines doing the NWP as many living there don't want it to become another Alaska and are very concerned about their environment.

It is interesting you should mention this concern. There have been various posts suggesting that the locals are very eager to greet Serenity.

During the weekend, I spoke with a Canadian lawyer friend who does a lot of work representing First Nation tribes in their litigation with the Canadian government. My friend was not familiar with the Crystal plans and did not know what communities the ship would visit, etc. However, my friend said that he imagined there would be people in various communities who would strenuously resist the invasion of their world by a large luxury cruise ship carrying 1000 well-heeled tourists, and that some disruptive protests might well occur. He said these are proud people and would not appreciate being treated like specimens in a zoo.

I assume that Crystal has laid the necessary groundwork......

Observer

Considering that your lawyer friend does not know the specific communities, Crystal's plans, or have any basis for making his "observation" other than representing some First Nations in litigation that has nothing to do with this sailing, I think he is making a broad statement that is not based on facts and can, therefore, only reflect bias.

Perhaps, to the people in the communities, it will be the people on Crystal who are the "specimens in the zoo".

Our First Nation communities do not need any more patronizing and, if you read what has been written in the newspapers by many of the people who live in the communities, they are definitely looking forward to the ship's arrival. If Crystal's plan was not supported, Crystal passengers would not be permitted in the communities and arrangements would not have been made to showcase "the land", "the art", "the history", etc. Yes, your lawyer friend is right, they are proud people.

Edited by mariners

Crystal has been planning this for years. Yep, there has been coordination with those living in each community. And as part of this coordination. the number of people who can visit at any given time will be limited. We will have small windows in which to visit. Many tours are for two hours and you go, you participate, you return. It's not like a typical port where you can come and go as you please. I don't expect demonstrations but no need to argue about this. We'll know soon enough.

Yes, I don't think there will be many 30 to 40 year olds on this cruise. Regardless of age, there has already been enough interest in kayaking that some of the kayaking tours are already sold out. And in the end who cares if there is demand for them or not. If there is not demand, then they won't run. :) But just like the tours that have some of the kayaks sold out with wait lists I suspect the same will be true for the spontaneous tours. Age doesn't always matter. I know that I can spin on an indoor cycles at a much faster and longer pace then those half my age. :)

Although we won't be kayaking, glad it's available for those who have an interest.

As to how many ships will sail this passage, time will tell.

I think that we should be more worried about what is going on that has allowed ships to be able to traverse this route when this was not technically possible in the past. Yep, that the ice is melting. But that is an entirely different discussion.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

My apologies to Observer for responding to his post as I would never want to create any type of ongoing argument.

I should have looked more closely at the itinerary you will be sailing. Crystal is going to Inuit communities and, for those of you who will be lucky enough to be on this sailing, you can see from the following links that the communities have already had some experience with tourism.

Ulukhaktok, NWT

http://www.arcticcharinn.com/holman-northwest-territories.htm

Cambridge Bay, Nunavut

http://www.cambridgebay.ca

Pond Inlet, Nunavut

http://www.pondinlet.ca/index.html

Cambridge Bay and Pond Inlet

http://nunavuttourism.com/regions-communities/cambridge-bay

Edited by mariners

Caroline, thank you so very much for sharing the links. I have been doing a lot of reading about the communities and the history of the NWP in preparation for our trip and these links look interesting and I will be going through each of these in detail.

I am sure that we will be welcomed by many in the communities from the reading I've done but I am sure (and understandably so) that some might not be so pleased. I know that Crystal has been planning this for a very long time and that they have a good track record working with communities and I believe things have been organized in such a manner to show our respect for the communities and for the environment. The reality is not everyone will even be getting off the ship, and the tours have been organized to minimize the number of people visiting these areas at any given time.

I am sure that many of us willreport back on what we experience including our interactions with the local people and I hope that we make a good impression on them by being respectful of them and their communities.

Keith

Unfortunately we are unable to make this trip, much as I would love to experience this incredible once in a lifetime opportunity. However, I am currently reading In The Kingdom Of Ice by Hampton Sides. It is a wonderful book about an arctic exploration through the NW Passage in the late 19th century. Highly recommend this book to anyone taking this cruise particularly, but also to anyone interested in reading a great adventure story.

I haven't followed this thread carefully and apologize if this book has already been mentioned.

Unfortunately we are unable to make this trip, much as I would love to experience this incredible once in a lifetime opportunity. However, I am currently reading In The Kingdom Of Ice by Hampton Sides. It is a wonderful book about an arctic exploration through the NW Passage in the late 19th century. Highly recommend this book to anyone taking this cruise particularly, but also to anyone interested in reading a great adventure story.

I haven't followed this thread carefully and apologize if this book has already been mentioned.

Thank you so much for recommending this book.

Keith

Can someone show me how to find available cabins on any given cruise? Thx, Crispy 46.

Select a voyage such as this one.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/panama-canal-cruises/miami-to-los-angeles--7308

Then look at the right of the page and click on get a quote

The click on book a cruise.

If it brings up a page that says agent login ID then on your web browser bar chick on the back space.

Then click on book a cruise again.

It should bring up a page that asks for guest names. Fill out one or both and and then click on the category you want. But before you do that it will tell you what categories are available. If it says call for availability it means it is not available right now.

Or if you just want to see what rooms are available you can click on the category and then it will take you to the next page. It will not show a complete inventory of what is open. You have to either click on tabs to see a subset of rooms that are open or if you don't care before you do that it will have shown you one room.

Or have your TA help you with this.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010