• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

This just in - Arctic NW Passage in 2016

Seafairer

(with asdf_reloaded's copy-edits of hypercafe's XT1032's auto-fill)

Plenty of people do a daily commute in winter requiring clothing for cold, wet, ice-underfoot conditions, to say nothing of outdoor recreation, so it's not that much of a challenge. :D

Not sure why Crystal is ditching the dress code for this one. Are people going to be packing for a 32-day voyage in one carry-on? With eighteen sea days (minus "several surprise expedition days"), they could have formal nights, theme nights, masquerade balls -- party-animal breaks from the wildlife-viewing expedition life. ;)

The concluding port calls (Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport) do seem kind of an anti-climax -- you'd think Newfoundland or at least Nova Scotia would have made it into the mix. :o

I am not remotely ( :p ) likely to be on this voyage, but requested the brochure anyway, because ... Northwest Passage. :)

There are many people who might be coming from say LA who never experienced snow or ice. Since I posted I read the QA and they have talked to a outfitter about the needed stuff. I thought it odd that they spoke about renting stuff from them. This is a expedition trip so people need to bring along lots of cold weather stuff so I would imagine even Crystal could forgo dress up and people who want this type of trip would not mind.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Plenty of people do a daily commute in winter requiring clothing for cold, wet, ice-underfoot conditions, to say nothing of outdoor recreation, so it's not that much of a challenge. :D

Not sure why Crystal is ditching the dress code for this one. Are people going to be packing for a 32-day voyage in one carry-on? With eighteen sea days (minus "several surprise expedition days"), they could have formal nights, theme nights, masquerade balls -- party-animal breaks from the wildlife-viewing expedition life. ;)

Taking a look across the competitive landscape, I think whatever formalwear expedition adventures there may have been, died off years ago (perhaps while trying to traverse the tundra with their finery.) :D:cool:

Today it's a pretty casual segment, and it sounds like Crystal is trying to still keep it pretty classy, but practical given the technical requirements here.

Vince

It's not the end of the business day out west, but in a few hours, if anyone has some "inside" info on how many cabins have been booked, I'd love to know. :)

Patty

I checked with my TA who said there were about 100 staterooms left, mostly in the A1 and A2 categories.

The e-mail from our Crystal rep this morning said they sold 600 beds on day one (yesterday)! No word on what sales were like today. I suspect the passenger load on this one will be 100% Crystal Society members. I will be extremely surprised if there is ANY inventory left when this goes "on sale" to the general public Sep 2.:D

Amazing! It will be very interesting to see how many will cancel, but, yes, it should be obvious that only Crystal Society members on the waitlist will actually make the cruise.

Interesting about the single supplement. Roy, did you get it for 30% yesterday?

Patty

Amazing! It will be very interesting to see how many will cancel, but, yes, it should be obvious that only Crystal Society members on the waitlist will actually make the cruise.

Patty

Yes

Roy

Patty

While a certain small percentage of cancellations would be almost inevitable, that $500 non-refundable penalty will pretty much discourage close to 100% of "speculative" bookings I would think. While not entirely comparable, the river cruise lines all have a non-refundable component of $200 to $300 per person built into their deposits and our pre-final cancellation experience with them is virtually nil.

Patty

Patty, near term you might have a few people who placed holds on rooms so that they had a few days to decide before making initial deposit cancel. Other than that I suspect that there will not be many cancellations and those I would think will be largely driven by personal/health issues. I don't see too many people speculating on this one given that there is the $500.00 per person cancellation penalty.

As they say, time will tell but there will likely be a relatively large wait list.

The final payment is due six months before the cruise begins so that still provides time to fill any rooms that open up from wait lists and/or new sales. Essentially, anyone booked now who plans to g would get the 2.5% savings since the payment is due six months before the voyage begins.

Keith

I think that it is probably the novelty value of this voyage that is driving sales, rather than the actual itinerary. I'm sure that, if successful, Crystal will want to repeat it in future years, when any unforeseen problems will be ironed out.

Or, there are so many unforeseen problems that Crystal says, "Never Again"! :eek:

Patty

Just received the Crystal email announcing the cruise (19 July, 0910) --- two days after sales started. I guess having twenty Crystal cruises left us far down the list for getting in on this event. Makes you wonder what goes on in LA.

TAs received an email on July 16th and informed their customers who might be interested...The day before sales started.

Just received the Crystal email announcing the cruise (19 July, 0910) --- two days after sales started. I guess having twenty Crystal cruises left us far down the list for getting in on this event. Makes you wonder what goes on in LA.

I just received mine as well, and I have many fewer Crystal cruises than your 20. I doubt they sent out notices in any order (people with many cruises first, etc.). It is disappointing that they would send this notice after all C accommodations are sold, after single supplement is at 200%, etc.

I have decided against this cruise. If I am to do an expedition cruise like this, I would want to do it on a small expedition ship. I can imagine a huge amount of crowding on Crystal as ~1000 passengers try to view this or that. Etc.

Nonetheless, I am disappointed that I heard zilch from my TA with a notice about this new cruise (heaven knows I give the TA enough business!) and received the Crystal email only today.

I wonder how many of the booked passengers learned of this cruise not from their TAs but rather via media like Cruise Critic.

TAs received an email on July 16th and informed their customers who might be interested...The day before sales started.

This is interesting (and makes sense). My TA must not have thought I was interested…… I heard nothing from him/her. This non-notification from TA is especially disappointing in our age of email, etc. It's not as if a TA has to make (costly) long distance calls to each client. The Crystal announcement could have been forwarded to a list of client email addresses, and this might take five minutes to contact hundreds of clients.

This may be an interesting test of your TA: Did (s)he notify you of this fleeting opportunity, or did you have to rely on social media to discover it? If the latter, the usefulness of TAs in 2014 becomes even less clear.

Crystal's email arrived here a few minutes ago too. Fortunately my TA let me know about it, even though I did not book it. I would be quite angry to pay the 200% single supplement because I missed hearing about the cruise earlier.

Edited by Travel2Learn

Dick,

I received the info the evening of the 16th with all the details. I too just received the email directly from Crystal that went out to all Crystal Society members...this should have been sent out two to three days ago!!! Most of the stateroom categories are sold out!!!

Nancy

This is interesting (and makes sense). My TA must not have thought I was interested…… I heard nothing from him/her. This non-notification from TA is especially disappointing in our age of email, etc. It's not as if a TA has to make (costly) long distance calls to each client. The Crystal announcement could have been forwarded to a list of client email addresses, and this might take five minutes to contact hundreds of clients.

This may be an interesting test of your TA: Did (s)he notify you of this fleeting opportunity, or did you have to rely on social media to discover it? If the latter, the usefulness of TAs in 2014 becomes even less clear.

In defense of the TA community (I am one for those who might not know) we got the notification via our Crystal reps Wednesday evening. I didn't see mine until about 10:00 PM EDT (time-stamped 8:35 PM EDT) when I got home from an engagement. Sales opened Thursday morning, and we all know what happened! By the time most TAs could have even advised their clients, the "best" cabins were likely gone. I expected it to be popular, but I certainly did not expect them to sell out 60% of the ship in one day, and I expect I was not alone in that assessment. Tough to get e-mails out to your clients in a "timely" manner when things move that quickly.

Edited by Roland4

We (22 cruises) STILL have not received anything from Crystal. Maybe they don't think Canadians would be interested in cruising in our own "backyard" as it were!:D

Tough to get e-mails out to your clients in a "timely" manner when things move that quickly.

Some agents seemed to manage....I guess it comes down to their ability to get an email out to their clients quickly - mine had a comprehensive offer to me well before Crystals public release

The Crystal offer just arrived in my inbox - that's not great given they should have had it setup and ready to despatch to Society members prior to sales opening for this cruise

And for those who are travelling it's interesting to see the special arrangements for the specialty restaurants - 8 specialty restaurant visits so guest can dine in them 25% of the time - along with Tastes:

Complimentary specialty restaurant dining at Silk Road, the Sushi Bar and Prego. Exclusively for this exciting voyage only, enjoy 4 (four) complimentary specialty dining experiences in Silk Road or the Sushi Bar and 4 (four) complimentary specialty dining experiences in Prego

Edited by Bodogbodog

I also have gotten nothing from Crystal but that is OK. I am surprised how popular it is. True it is a very different trip but its going to a tough place. I wonder if people realize what this climate is like?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I saw the "tease" on Crystal's Facebook page on the 16th and then looked on Crystal Cruise Critic's forum where someone had already posted the announcement. I then forwarded the information to my sister and she called our travel agent with our cabin preferences and we were in on the morning of the 17th. We knew it would be expensive but the itinerary was more important to us.

Vangie