• Cruise Tips

What a change...not used to a land trip

Lois R

I have been cruising on a regular basis for 11 years now. You might

say I love cruising:D...I am a cruise addict:eek:.....it is my favorite way

to vacation:).

I just went on a short getaway...about 4.5 days actually...it was a sort

of mini family reunion......me, my 2 sisters and bil's and family of one of

of those bil's. ....everyone gets along pretty well.:)

We had not all been together since our Dad passed away 3 years

ago.....flew up to Toronto and stayed there for 4 nights. I had a good

time and it was nice spending time with my family but it was sure

different than a cruise!........we did sightseeing and ate at some

wonderful restaurants.....gotta say, Toronto has some wonderful

places to eat!.......but I kept thinking, I love to cruise;)

Hotels, meals, etc..normally everything is paid for ahead of time.......

Not used to having to take a credit card out and/or cash to pay

for all the meals.........definitely different than a cruise. And now I will

get the hotel bill....LOL.......

Looking forward to sailing again in November:D

Edited by Lois R

Very brave of you, Lois :-)

While not in your league for days at sea (yet!), we did manage to get to elite in less than 3 years - we love it, too. But I confess to looking forward to a week in Maine next month. My other half would happily have hopped on a ship for the third time this year instead, but I didn't want to forget what a land-based vacation was like!

Very brave of you, Lois :-)

While not in your league for days at sea (yet!), we did manage to get to elite in less than 3 years - we love it, too. But I confess to looking forward to a week in Maine next month. My other half would happily have hopped on a ship for the third time this year instead, but I didn't want to forget what a land-based vacation was like!

Well, it wasn't really brave......I was with family;) and to be honest,

it was planned a long time ago (hotel was booked LAST summer) LOL

And since you said you are looking forward to your land vacation, I bet

you will have a good time:)

Lois, I'm glad you enjoyed Toronto. It's not my favorite Canadian city (my hometown is :) ), but it has a great deal to keep you entertained.

The thing I like about land based vacations is being able to shop at more than just the ship's boutiques and touristy places on shore. We were in Chicago in May and I could have gone crazy! Good thing there was a weight limit for my flight.

EDIT TO ADD: Don't want to upset the Torontonians - it is a nice city and all the Americans I know absolutely rave about it. But my heart belongs to Calgary!

Edited by JanineM

My daughter and I did an all inclusive adult only resort in jamaica a couple weeks age and I have to say that it was just as fabulous as a cruise. Which really shocked both of us since we love cruising.

I'm one of those that thinks there is cruising and there is traveling. Land vacations being "traveling" when you are out and about and spend more than 1 day in a place. See the scenery, meet the people, for more than a few hours. I do love land vacations/traveling but often I need a CRUISE to unwind from my land tour. They can be so hectic, and as you said, nice restaurants and nice hotels really add up.

But Lois, I know how you felt. For me there's no vacation as relaxing as a cruise. Not even all inclusives (which I also like but again isn't exactly traveling IMHO). From the moment the Sea Pass makes that initial BING and I settle down w/ a drink in Bistro (or Promenade Cafe) and watch the world go by…. the cares and annoyances of everyday life.. they just dissolve.

We love cruises and land vacations. Most of our land vacations tend to be to the Caribbean and mostly all-inclusive. For us, the land vacations tend to be more relaxing...as we usually spend more time lounging and doing nothing...less of a schedule (on land vacations) than on a cruise.

Must agree....We enjoy cruising and have for quite awhile... but we also tried an all inclusive shortly after Hurricane Sandy...it was very relaxing...we enjoyed it.

We had a limo pick up to short flight to Nassau...bags handled by the resort...huge guest room, nice balcony with ocean view...full premium bar set up, our concierge made all our dining res...ranged from casual buffet to elegant but no tuxes..there were a few activity choices each evening, live bands, reggae nite, movies, and pubs etc..they also had an offshore island so you could go for the day or just lunch..they had a nice gym, superior spa..party or quiet pool... at the time we felt it was a more relaxing schedule than a cruise...less work and not living in a small room for a week or more...

Of course we missed going to ports and watching the sea...plan to do more of both in the future..

Edited by hcat

I hear you Lois. We did "All Inclusive" vacations for years. We only starting cruising about 4 years ago and love it....find it hard to remember what "land vacations" are lol. We are going to try a bus tour in September of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland for 25 days. A cruise just didn't cover everything we wanted to see and also did not want to risk missing ports due to weather. We will be living out of our suitcase and it will be hectic but we are really looking forward to it. We both hate driving so this is the route, we hope, for us with some areas of the world. We still love cruising and can't wait to get on another ship but that probably will be next year.

We love cruises and land vacations. Most of our land vacations tend to be to the Caribbean and mostly all-inclusive. For us, the land vacations tend to be more relaxing...as we usually spend more time lounging and doing nothing...less of a schedule (on land vacations) than on a cruise.

Really? This kind of trip was not what I would call relaxing. We

did sightseeing every day and so it was much different than an

All-Inclusive. I had fun being with family but my cruises are

MUCH more relaxing than this particular trip.

Just finished a road trip in Oregon for a week. We stayed at two different hotels and did day trips. While there we did love the great scenic, historic sites we visited, it was exhausting. And deciding where to go for dinner each night was a big deal.

Got home and realized how much I love cruising. It takes the stress out of vacationing. Love doing tours each day just like a land vacation and then coming back on ship and knowing you will have a great meal and great evening.

Glad you enjoyed Toronto Lois R,

I love cruising but not exclusively. I have often been introduced to places on a cruise which I have then returned to on a land tour.

Consider myself fortunate to have the chance to enjoy both types of vacation.

Great Post

Lois, we are the opposite. Up until recently, my wife and I did 10-14 day land trip vacations with 6-8 friends. Great fun and great travel. But I always wanted to get my wife on her first cruise. So finally we took an 11 night Med cruise a month ago on Reflection. Success! She has the bug! Next up a Caribbean cruise on X or maybe RCL. Not sure when though.

Point is that I don't think cruises will totally replace our land trips, but I think its a good supplement. For example we saw many places on our cruise that we'd like to go back and visit for an extended stay.

My land based vacations are either very relaxing or totally hectic. For several years, we'd rent a place in Hilton Head and spend a week enjoying the pool with the kids. Not much sight seeing and usually only eating lunch out. This year, we spend 4 days in Chicago (our former hometown) showing our boys the sights. We had so much fun, but it was hectic! Then we drove to St. Cloud, MN for a family reunion - then 17 hours home 2 days later! Yep - not doing that again any time soon!

DH and I have only done one all-inclusive in Jamaica and it was so relaxing. Then again we only took one tour off-site. The rest of the time we laid by the pool or the ocean and drank! (Pre kids days).

After the first 3 cruises we came back refreshed, but we felt like we had to do so much. The first cruise with the boys, we scaled it back and it was so much more relaxing. Now, I won't schedule all day excursions - half day ones are just fine and we end up relaxing a whole lot more.

We absolutely love cruising, but also love renting a villa on a Caribbean island for a land vacation to enjoy the island without the cruise ship hordes. We've done this on a number of islands, but St. John is our favorite and we'll be enjoying our 4th St John villa vacation in April. We always choose mid-April because rental prices are down and very few cruise ships are still in the Caribbean.

We are lucky to live in a resort community on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Our daily life feels like a vacation. Visits to family in Lake Tahoe and Park City are also wonderful vacations with the advantage of being with loved ones.

Oh, Lois, I SO AGREE with you! We have been cruising for 10 years (one each summer), and we were forced to take a land vacation last year due to my double knee replacements. We had a great time (we always do), but oh my....did we miss the ship! We absolutely hated having to pay for everything, and it just felt like we spent so much more money! (In reality, it was probably cheaper than our cruises!) We are from the Midwest and thought that if we just went somewhere with an ocean, we'd be content. Nope....looking at the water from our land based hotel's balcony was just NOT the same!