• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Add another Port to some Bermuda Cruises

Barb Nahoumi

For those of us who think that 7 days is too short for Bermuda Cruises, how about adding Charleston, S.C. to the Itinerary. Doing so might increase the trip by 1 or two days.

Bermuda is off of the Carolina coast, and could be doable. Charleston is a city I always wanted to visit.

How about it, NCL?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there some kind of Federal law that prohibits foreign flag ships from stopping at domestic ports other than the point of cruise origin.

We went from NYC to Fla then to the Bahama's, so I don't think so

Edited by JuneauMe

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there some kind of Federal law that prohibits foreign flag ships from stopping at domestic ports other than the point of cruise origin.

It's ok if it ends back in new york (closed loop cruise).

For those of us who think that 7 days is too short for Bermuda Cruises, how about adding Charleston, S.C. to the Itinerary. Doing so might increase the trip by 1 or two days.

Bermuda is off of the Carolina coast, and could be doable. Charleston is a city I always wanted to visit.

How about it, NCL?

I love this idea! An 8 or 9 day cruise stopping in Charleston on the way to Bermuda sounds perfect. We have been to Charleston a few times and it is a beautiful historic city. Just don't mess with the number of days in Bermuda! I think their cruise facilities are pretty limited however, and I don't know how feasible the idea would be. That, and the fact that I don't think most Charlestonians are wild about the idea of cruise ships in their city.

Last I heard, Charleston was having an internal fight about cruise ships. Some people want more. Some people want less (or none). Until or unless that is resolved in favor of cruising, one should not expect a to see lots of stops in that port.

I have enjoyed visiting that city air. There is more than you can see and enjoy in a short port day. Perhaps you should fly down for a longer visit.

I was thinking Boston, Charleston, S.C., Bermuda, then return to Boston. I'm not certain if the Breakaway would fit at Charleston, but the Dawn might.

Remember when foreign flagged ships went to Fanning Island when doing Hawaiian cruises?

I love this idea! An 8 or 9 day cruise stopping in Charleston on the way to Bermuda sounds perfect. We have been to Charleston a few times and it is a beautiful historic city. Just don't mess with the number of days in Bermuda! I think their cruise facilities are pretty limited however, and I don't know how feasible the idea would be. That, and the fact that I don't think most Charlestonians are wild about the idea of cruise ships in their city.

No, the number of days in Bermuda would remain the same. Charleston would be In Addition to Bermuda.

Charleston has a Carnival ship homeported there for short 5 day cruises. I think that they'd be happy if money starts pouring in, via NCL guests. This could be on some of the Dawn cruises. Some folks might still prefer the 7 day trips. I, for one want more, after doing some longer cruises already.

I was thinking Boston, Charleston, S.C., Bermuda, then return to Boston. I'm not certain if the Breakaway would fit at Charleston, but the Dawn might.

Remember when foreign flagged ships went to Fanning Island when doing Hawaiian cruises?

I remember the Fanning Island time. NCL must not have love all those extra miles with all those fuel costs, so they got a legislative exception and hired mostly US crew for NCLA.

Charleston is a long way from Boston, so your proposal would greatly increase fuel costs. As many people have limited time off and others would not fancy adding US ports, demand might not be high enough to support the increased expense. Sorry to be a downer, but add that to the Charleston politics, and your odds of seeing this itinerary regularly are pretty low. Back the same solution...fly in.

There is a lot of ongoing arguing in Charleston re: cruise ships. Here is an article from last year, but I have seen other, more recent articles as well. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/us/battle-in-genteel-charleston-over-cruise-ships.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 Perhaps they are making it difficult or expensive to port there right now.

Robin

I'd rather any new ports be added to the Breakaway Florida Caribbean or Gem Eastern Caribbean runs out of New York. 3 day in Bermuda is awesome and I wouldn't want to change a thing. No rushing on and off the ship if you don't want to, an excellent inexpensive public transit system to take you to most attractions, beautiful public pink coral sand beaches with no peddlers to harass you unlike other islands... 3 days isn't enough.

Edited by kylenyc

I'd rather any new ports be added to the Breakaway Florida Caribbean or Gem Eastern Caribbean runs out of New York. 3 day in Bermuda is awesome and I wouldn't want to change a thing. No rushing on and off the ship if you don't want to, an excellent inexpensive public transit system to take you to most attractions, beautiful public pink coral sand beaches with no peddlers to harass you unlike other islands... 3 days isn't enough.

Agree 100%.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

its 883 miles from Bermuda to Charleston. at 20 knots that is 40 hours. from charleston to boston is 957 miles by land it may be more at sea. so you would need to add at least 5 days if not 6. its only 774 from nyc to bermuda and 775 from boston. you could add Newport without a time problem but not Charleston.

There is no PVSA problem as long as they return to the same US port with multiple us port stops as long as they visit one foreign port. to return to a different US port they have to stop at a distant foreign port- one not in north america the carribe or Bermuda unless it was a US flagged ship.

Edited by smeyer418

Wah!!!! I suppose I'll have to get there by train. I just thought it would be a fantastic addition to a cruise out of Boston or Maybe New York.

What if they switch out Cape Canaveral for Charleston on the Bahama run? That would be awesome.

Wah!!!! I suppose I'll have to get there by train. I just thought it would be a fantastic addition to a cruise out of Boston or Maybe New York.

What if they switch out Cape Canaveral for Charleston on the Bahama run? That would be awesome.

I'm guessing a straight swap would never happen because there lots of revenue from the excursions to Port Canaveral, Universal and Disney to drop it and a big draw for families with kids. However, I'd love if they would add more US ports to the 10/12 day Gem/Breakaway itinerary instead of always the "Eastern Caribbean" itinerary. Add Charleston and even better **Key West** before heading to the Caribbean, or add them to a repo cruise (Boston/New York to New Orleans).

Edited by kylenyc

When we sailed to Hawaii from Los Angeles, the ports were all American ports. The cruise made a 3 hour or so stop in Mexico before returning to Los Angeles. I think they have to have at least one foreign port in their itinerary before returning back to home port in the US, at least that was the explanation we go for the short stop in Mexico. By the way, hardly anyone got off the ship. No surprise.

I agree totally!