• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pride tax question...

Izzybee

I've read here to purchase cheers, soda cards etc. once you are out to sea to avoid sales taxes.

For the Pride out of Baltimore, does that mean we have to wait until the ship is out of the bay (first sea day)?

If so, I might bring some soda to tide us over... And maybe some wine too.

You pay a tax per drink you order from Baltimore until you get to international waters which is usually around 11 to 11:30pm on Sunday night. Everyone is taxed on each drink they order until that time. The tax has nothing to do with the cheers program. Whether you are on the program or not, you pay a tax for each drink ordered. You are not taxed on the program itself

So..question. If I buy the soda package prior to boarding are you saying it will cost me more for the package? I have cruised out of Baltimore 4 times (twice with Carnival and twice with Royal) and I have always purchased the soda package prior to the cruise and never noticed a tax issue, so I am really curious about this. Thank you for your help. :D

So..question. If I buy the soda package prior to boarding are you saying it will cost me more for the package? I have cruised out of Baltimore 4 times (twice with Carnival and twice with Royal) and I have always purchased the soda package prior to the cruise and never noticed a tax issue, so I am really curious about this. Thank you for your help. :D

Buy online, and you are buying it in Florida. Buy on the ship, it is MD.

How are you purchasing the Bottomless Bubbles prior to the cruise? I don't see that as an option.

How are you purchasing the Bottomless Bubbles prior to the cruise? I don't see that as an option.

That is a good question. I hadn't tried yet and you are right, there isn't an option. Well that is interesting. hmmmm....am I missing something? Can you purchase it ahead of time?

And if I am reading correctly you can NOT use it at HMC?

I may have to rethink buying it at all.....:(

Edited by vlynn
added

That is a good question. I hadn't tried yet and you are right, there isn't an option. Well that is interesting. hmmmm....am I missing something? Can you purchase it ahead of time?

And if I am reading correctly you can NOT use it at HMC?(

You are correct on both. Bottomless Bubbles can not be purchased in advance, and it can not be used on Half Moon Cay, Little Stirrup Cay, (room service, and/or minibar).

For cheers, taxes were charged until out of the bay...it was after dinner...maybe 9pm when I noticed the tax not on our drink receipts

Interesting. I do not remember it being that long. It used to be 1-2 hours after you left the port. I went back and looked at my receipts from my 2011 cruise from the first night and we were not charged any tax on our drinks at dinner and that was around 6:00 p.m.

I thought it was a port tax and not necessarily a Maryland sales tax. You don't pay a tax when you enter Virginia waters. Maybe things changed?

I've read here to purchase cheers, soda cards etc. once you are out to sea to avoid sales taxes.

For the Pride out of Baltimore, does that mean we have to wait until the ship is out of the bay (first sea day)?

No need to wait to purchase the drink packages. You will only be charged tax on the individual drinks that you get before you are in international waters--regardless of whether you have a drink package or not. They don't tax you on the beverage package itself. Or at least that's the way it has worked when I have purchased Cheers. If you don't stress about paying sales tax at home, I wouldn't stress about it on the ship for the short time before you set sail.

You pay a tax per drink you order from Baltimore until you get to international waters which is usually around 11 to 11:30pm on Sunday night. Everyone is taxed on each drink they order until that time. The tax has nothing to do with the cheers program. Whether you are on the program or not, you pay a tax for each drink ordered. You are not taxed on the program itself

For cheers, taxes were charged until out of the bay...it was after dinner...maybe 9pm when I noticed the tax not on our drink receipts

I could be wrong (it's been known to happen once or twice:rolleyes:), but I believe the taxes are no longer charged once out of Maryland waters, but while still in the Bay (Virginia waters, not International waters). The black arrow in the picture below shows the part of the Bay controlled by Virginia.

The taxes definitely disappear on Embarkation Day well before we get out of the Bay (which happens a bit before midnight), the time that it happens seems to match up with the time that we would be entering Virginia waters (sometime after 8PM).

vaeastarrow.gif

Interesting. I do not remember it being that long. It used to be 1-2 hours after you left the port. I went back and looked at my receipts from my 2011 cruise from the first night and we were not charged any tax on our drinks at dinner and that was around 6:00 p.m.

I thought it was a port tax and not necessarily a Maryland sales tax. You don't pay a tax when you enter Virginia waters. Maybe things changed?

That pesky 6% tax on your receipt is the MD sales tax. We bought Bottomless Bubbles on our Honeymoon and got hit with the 6% ($2) sales tax. We're used to paying it so it wasn't a big deal, but you can bet that for more expensive items we wait until we are not in MD or FL's waters.

No need to wait to purchase the drink packages. You will only be charged tax on the individual drinks that you get before you are in international waters--regardless of whether you have a drink package or not. They don't tax you on the beverage package itself. Or at least that's the way it has worked when I have purchased Cheers. If you don't stress about paying sales tax at home, I wouldn't stress about it on the ship for the short time before you set sail.

This. You WILL NOT be charged tax on the entire Cheers amount, whether you buy it the moment you get on board (in any port), 5 minutes after sailaway, or any other time. You will be charged TAX ONLY on receipts for Cheers drinks while you are in US ports/waters.

if you wait until you get to the point you can save the tax of $3-$4 on the soda card. You can purchase a can for $2.14 i think it is so you'll be a dollar and some change ahead of the game.:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

This correct

No, sorry:o, it's not. They stop charging the tax while still in the Bay.

Edited to say: I'm sorry, I just noticed that the post refers specifically to Cheers. I was referring to individual drink orders and such. So I take that back, you could very well be correct - I have never bought Cheers. I was focusing on the tax and not the product sold, it may be different with Cheers and I wouldn't know about it. So sorry about that. :o

Edited by ShakyBeef

It's riduculous that you can't purchase drink packages a head of time.

Unless they have changed things recently you can get the bottom was bubbles in advance by calling one 800 carnival and asking for the bon voyage department.

It definitely is not on the website but you can call and order it

Bill