Transportation from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty

cruiseonly

You're arriving on the Quantum TA. The new terminal might be operational at that point and no one knows exactly how it will work.

I imagine the process will be the same - you need to look for the taxi dispatcher, which in the current terminal is all the way down at the end of the tent if you make a left coming out of customs. You tell the dispatcher you want a shuttle to Newark Airport and he will get you on one.

If you're looking for public transit to NYC, the same taxi dispatcher will get you on a shared shuttle to the light rail station.

Edited by 138east

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
We used Uber last week to get from Newark airport to the Summit and back. See my post here for more details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44036376&postcount=18

I'm assuming you flew to O'Hare or MDW. What was your flight time after disembarkation? I'm trying to get flights booked and really don't want to have an afternoon flight.

Thanks much! I think I'm going to give Uber a shot when I get out there.

Good luck. Uber is unregulated in NJ. You may get a driver who is neither properly licensed nor carries proper commercial automobile liability insurance.

If you're unlucky enough to be injured in accident, you'll be left swinging in the wind with no source of compensation when you find out your Uber driver is a barber looking to make a few extra dollars on his day off and his car is only insured as a private passenger automobile, not a car for hire.

Is saving $5 or $10 (if you save anything at all) worth that risk? It's your call.

In California they recently enacted a law requiring Uber drivers to have a policy providing $1 million dollars in liability coverage while carrying passengers. Until that law was passed Uber passengers in CA were just as much at risk as they currently are in NJ.

Edited by njhorseman

I think using Uber is at least as bad, if not moreso, than using Premier Parking in NJ.

People do NOT understand that, in our state, if you are not properly insured, you're screwed and CANNOT LEGALLY carry passengers..

I am tired of people trying to save a buck and choosing cash over safety.

Have at it, and when you're injured, don't come here crying for sympathy, you will not get any...

I'm with njhorseman here.....

Edited by megr1125

I think using Uber is at least as bad, if not moreso, than using Premier Parking in NJ.

People do NOT understand that, in our state, if you are not properly insured, you're screwed and CANNOT LEGALLY carry passengers..

I am tired of people trying to save a buck and choosing cash over safety.

Have at it, and when you're injured, don't come here crying for sympathy, you will not get any...

I'm with njhorseman here.....

Thank you for this info...what is your suggestion for 4 of us with 4 pieces of checked luggage from EWR to the port for the Summit in May? Can cabs fit all this? Thanks in advance!!

• 7 months later...
I think I might try Super Shuttle. Was going to do UBER but I'm not in a rush either.

I can't recall anyone on this board ever recommending Super Shuttle in the NY metro area. What is your date? Are you flying in? How many people? Are you going from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty? If you provide precise details, folks will offer good suggestions.

I can't recall anyone on this board ever recommending Super Shuttle in the NY metro area. What is your date? Are you flying in? How many people? Are you going from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty? If you provide precise details, folks will offer good suggestions.

Any particular reason why? I've used Super S in the Philly and DC areas with no problems. However I know NJ/NYC are a different beast so I'll take advice gladly.

Date: 05/14/15

Transp: Flight into Newark

Party: 1 (no large luggage)

Route: Yes, from Newark to Cape Liberty (Bayonne)

I'm pretty flexible so I would love to hear options. Also hotels - I prefer Marriott (and I guess Starwood now that they're joined) - that offer shuttle service if necessary.

Edited by cruisevv

Any particular reason why? I've used Super S in the Philly and DC areas with no problems. However I know NJ/NYC are a different beast so I'll take advice gladly.

Date: 05/14/15

Transp: Flight into Newark

Party: 1 (no large luggage)

Route: Yes, from Newark to Cape Liberty (Bayonne)

I'm pretty flexible so I would love to hear options. Also hotels - I prefer Marriott (and I guess Starwood now that they're joined) - that offer shuttle service if necessary.

So you're flying in on 5/13 and need a hotel at Newark Airport. What is your budget? No NYC sightseeing? Is prepaying an option?

Edited by 138east

So you're flying in on 5/13 and need a hotel at Newark Airport. What is your budget? No NYC sightseeing? Is prepaying an option?

Honestly, I'd prefer to go directly from the airport to the ship if possible. It seems the distance between Newark airport and the cruise terminal is only 7 miles or so/20 minute ride?

I'd like to get into the airport at 10AM, hop into transportation, and hit the cruise terminal by 1PM. Preferably paying no more than $25 one-way.

I'm not going on any excursions or sight-seeing. I can pre-pay for transportation and prefer not to have to use public transportation with transfer between trains/buses etc. I want as straight a shot as possible.

Edited by cruisevv

Honestly, I'd prefer to go directly from the airport to the ship if possible. It seems the distance between Newark airport and the cruise terminal is only 7 miles or so/20 minute ride?

I'd like to get into the airport at 10AM, hop into transportation, and hit the cruise terminal by 1PM. Preferably paying no more than $25 one-way.

I'm not going on any excursions or sight-seeing. I can pre-pay for transportation and prefer not to have to use public transportation with transfer between trains/buses etc. I want as straight a shot as possible.

The cruise terminal is 10-11 miles away. By taxi it should be 30 minutes on a Sat, but there is construction at Exit 14A on the NJ that estimate could be unpredictable. However, you're not going to get a cab for $25. The closest would be the RCL transfer at $28.50.

Food for thought - the ship sails at 4 pm which means you have to be on board by 2:30. Any flight delay could cause you to miss the ship. Next port is Bermuda in two days, so unless you have insurance that covers travel delays, you'll be paying to fly one way to Bermuda.

Also I can answer your Boston questions.

Edited by 138east

We are cruising Oct 6, 2016. We are fling in to NJ the day before from Nashville, TN. My husband uses a wheel chair but can transfer. We have a party of 5. My husband, myself, my mom and our 13 your old daughters. any suggestions for hotels, transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport. Thank you, Tracy

We are cruising Oct 6, 2016. We are fling in to NJ the day before from Nashville, TN. My husband uses a wheel chair but can transfer. We have a party of 5. My husband, myself, my mom and our 13 your old daughters. any suggestions for hotels, transportation from airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to airport. Thank you, Tracy

Lots of questions.

1). Are you looking for 1 room? Does it have to be accessible? These rooms are limited at Newark Airport, so you need to book something now. Look at Courtyard Elizabeth, Embassy Suites, Country Inns, and Springhill Suites. Courtyard and Country Inns offer queen beds. You should call the hotel directly to confirm How the room would accommodate the 5th person.

2). All the hotels offer a free shuttle, but you have to get to them. This involves taking everyone and their luggage via elevator to the Airtrain and riding to the P4 Station which is the pickup point for the shuttles. Does this sound like a possibility?

3). What kind of vehicle do you need to get to the port? Can your husband transfer into a van? You need room for the wheelchair and how much luggage? If you can book Country Inns, you can buy round trip port transportation via bus for $35/pp round trip. You can also call these folks (no web site - book only 4-6 weeks ahead by phone) - Independent driver - 888-816-0973. They have a wide assortment of vehicles at their disposal.

4). Food acquisition - what meals would you be eating? Many airport hotels have no restaurants, but offer free breakfast. Of the ones I listed above, only the Courtyard has in house food service. The other hotels offer free breakfast only. Embassy Suites and Country Inns are next to the Courtyard, IHOP, and Ruby Tuesdays. Springhill Suites is near the Courtyard Newark.